Please let me walk up Fargate without being stopped!

Oh and the best ones are those down the Moor who ask "have you had an accident recently?". It's tempting to say "no but if you don't get out my ****ing way then you'll be having one very shortly".

The ones that REALLY annoy me are the charity ones who leap in front of you, pretending to be all friendly like they know you really well. I've found that asking THEM to donate to YOUR favourite charity puts them off!

Yup, I know what you mean. I had one a while ago (not in Sheffield) and she said "hiya!" and then reeled off a list of random names thinking that one might be mine.

Edited by LukeD

The unsolicited phone calls in the evening from mobile companies or insurance companies and the like are annoying too. Ususally it's when you are in the middle of preparing or eating dinner or trying to relax after a hard day at work and they interrupt your evening with their banal chatter. I have found a good way of getting rid of them quickly though, whilst having fun at the same time. I just say how pleased I am for someone to call and that I haven't spoken to a soul since being discharged from the institution!

They make their apologies sharpish at that stage and disconnect!

The unsolicited phone calls in the evening from mobile companies or insurance companies and the like are annoying too. Ususally it's when you are in the middle of preparing or eating dinner or trying to relax after a hard day at work and they interrupt your evening with their banal chatter. I have found a good way of getting rid of them quickly though, whilst having fun at the same time. I just say how pleased I am for someone to call and that I haven't spoken to a soul since being discharged from the institution!

They make their apologies sharpish at that stage and disconnect!

When they ask if you are the homeowner....say no and that you will get them....call out a name (anyone's it doesn't matter) and place the receiver at the side of the phone.....and get on with your life for the next hour. Then pick up the receiver and see if they are still there.....they won't be...but for the length of time they were they weren't calling some other poor sod. :D

That's a good tip actually. I will use that one next time.

Thanks Julado

A guy on the radio the other evening said that when he gets unsolicited mail with a pre-paid envelope inside he tears up all the junk mail and posts it back to them, and if he's feeling particularly impish he adds more so they have to pay extra postage at their end :)

When they ask if you are the homeowner....say no and that you will get them....call out a name (anyone's it doesn't matter) and place the receiver at the side of the phone.....and get on with your life for the next hour. Then pick up the receiver and see if they are still there.....they won't be...but for the length of time they were they weren't calling some other poor sod. :D

Haha, yes, thats what I do!

I collect regularly in Fargate for the Sheffield Cats' Shelter. The Local Authority byelaws are strict : we're not allowed to approach people, call out or jiggle the tins. Anyone hassling you is contravening the byelaws and you can report them.

For the record, too, all the collectors for the Cats' Shelter are volunteers. We stand out in the rain and wind because we care about what we do and we never receive any money for it.

All charities who collect have to be licensed to do so and wouldn't behave in the manner you're describing. Please don't get us confused with touts and use this as an excuse not to give.

What Rosy rat says above regarding charity street collections is perfectly correct however , I think what some people are commenting on is the people in fargate - and other areas - that are getting you to sign a monthly donation form think these are on commisoion and I dont think the street collection condistions apply

I just ignore them. Don't say nowt, don't look directly at them, just walk on by.

I just ignore them. Don't say nowt, don't look directly at them, just walk on by.
Stone cold scarby :D

the last one who stopped me said i would answer all their questions if they provided me with the 16 digits on the credit card, its expiry date and the last 3 digits of the security code. needless to say they didnt give me the numbers and i carried happily on my journey

:hihi: :hihi: thats what i do too.

Years ago i was in doncaster with my mam and we were asked to do a survey for comfort softner, when we had done it we were given 4 bottles to take home, then about a month later a form came with a few questions on about how we found it then the next week another 4 bottles arrived.

it would be nice if all the surveys were like that :)