Sheffield gangs. How best to solve this problem?

I read with interest the comments on this emotive subject, I believe that most of the young people of this city want to live a life that is pretty much decent and law abiding whilst at the same time being valued for the enourmous contribution that they make. It is also true that there are some young people who have absolutely no respect whatsoever for the community in which they live, the police, their parents and above all themselves.

It is sad when you come across an 8 year old who is systematically emptying a bag of rubbish across a wide area of pavement and who when challenged said it is none of your effing business and you can't do anything about it "I can call the police" I reacted, to which the little dear said "They can't do Eff all either" while continuing to empty the rubbish all over the pavement.

The truth is that the police and the toothless watch dogs (no disrespect intended) we call community support officers, and even less powerful community wardens have limited impact and we do not have enough of a detterent to bad behaviour. The only action that will improve things is proper police officers based back in communities who take the time to get to know young people and what makes them tick so that they can earn the respect of people of all ages in communities as was the case when I was kid.

At the same time we need to consult with young people and ensure that they have no reason to belong to gangs and to feel the need to carry knives, guns etc for their own protection. As a society we should nurture our young people and that means giving good guidance, setting proper examples and being consistent in dealing with bad behaviour, this way we will create a culture that will not accept bad behaviour and give us opportunities to reward positive contribution. It is a major mistake to demonise young people but we cannot be complacent either because there are some deep rooted societal issues that need to be addressed and quickly>

Being in a gang is an excuse for being a drop out with no future and no brain cells. Anyone who has dropped out of school, or anyone who has finished school and have been unemployed for 3 months should be forced into employment wherever the council or government decides.

Aren't our boys in Afghanistan always wanting new recruits?

Being in a gang is an excuse for being a drop out with no future and no brain cells. Anyone who has dropped out of school, or anyone who has finished school and have been unemployed for 3 months should be forced into employment wherever the council or government decides.

as an ex service man myself I would only want committed professionals watching my back not some conscripted neer do well whose only idea of committment is to his next fix.

Not their kind thank you. :thumbsup:

as an ex service man myself I would only want committed professionals watching my back not some conscripted neer do well whose only idea of committment is to his next fix.

Too right, well said. :thumbsup:

Looks like these two have reaped the benefits of being involved in a gang...21 years inside. This SHOULD act as a deterent for all of those who think its alright to go around murdering people and thinking they can get away with it....unfortunately it doesn't. Its the families on both sides that i feel sorry for.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/BREAKING-Gang-feud-killers-sentenced.4977525.jp

Give them all knives and guns, create their own 'post code', preferably a field, in the middle of the moors, stand back and let them get on with it.

Law of averages says they'll be no-one left within hours. All street crime solved, drugs problem erased and the tax payer saves millions that these 10 bob gangsters cost us in benefits.

Problem solved.

Next.

how can you compare life in prosonment to taking a life fair enough the scumbags will be off the streets for a while but as for the families, they can still see their lads in jail the families of the victim cant see their son, i know this case was all gang related and im certain that not many if any will be deterred by a 21 year sentence, life should mean life and with hard graft aswell, there was a drug dealer a while back who got 24 years, fair enough he was a wrong un and deserved what he got but i think the murderers especially in the blake case should have got at least that, and haddock i like the way your thinking mate but i just dont think itll happen, as for the military, i think if a lot of these filth were caught early enough they could do well and change their ways and the military would be the perfect environment to do this teaching them much needed dicipline and giving them a purpose in life, however the animals who are past a certain point it would do no good for as they cant be moulded into a respectful way of thinking and would just rebel any they got against authority and need to be punished much more harshly for them to learn the difference between right and wrong, but with prisons the way they are and the pussy foot around method of rehabilitation rather than punishment the problem will only get worse over time, i know sheffield isnt as bad as the bronx or how it was in the 1920's but i could get that way if nothing is done

Why are you amazed? These were children They aren't supposed to be capable of running their own household, cook proper meals etc at the age of 8 or even 12. This was stupid ratings-chasing rubbish.

I remember late one Saturday night I ran out of cigarettes, and had to go out searching for a 'beer off' I came across a small gang of youths, and though a little nervous, I asked them if they could tell me where there was a shop. They were lovely polite young men, walking with me to the shop.

I think generally if you treat them as normal human beings they will respond in kind.

I am not so daft as not to realise there are some bad 'uns but I do think they are the minority that get all the publicity.

Bring back the old police state when we were afraid of the police but if you have done nothing wrong they wont bother you let them rule with iron fist

cruel to be kind

so many people are leaving? where?

Why, if it's so bad do the student numbers keep going up? And why do so many stay to live here?

Violent? If you are talking about those stats shown in that release the other week (also discussed in here), it's just rubbish basically (not going into all that again though:hihi:).

A good friend of mine works for immigration and there's more people leaving now than ever before,

University places have increased everywhere not just Sheffield,

Not sure which stats you're refering to but most crimes in areas like Gleadless are not reported, so the stats are never going to show the true extent of how rife crime actually is.

And are you seriously trying to tell me that decent ordinary people are still going to want to move here and live amongst this vermin?