Privilege Thalambo let her stay

The third is from those who are hiding behind the law as an excuse, they are from people who whilst having another agenda, they haven't got the bottle to say it so they'll use the law as justification for their argument. They are easy to spot, all you need to do is ask them their viewpoints on similar issues and see if they respond in the same manner, or ask them to forget the legal issue and ask them for their moral viewpoint instead.

I saw this earlier in the thread and you're quite right Titanic, the merits or otherwise of allowing Ms Thalambo to stay here are being clouded by a legal argument over her 'criminal' status that has little merit, as the 'crimes' she's committed say little about her character.

A recent poster laments the fact that she worked here 'illegally', whilst also denouncing the fact that their taxes were being used to support this individual.

Her status as a criminal was created by her status, it would be like being surprised that ordinary people turned to crime if the the benefit system that supports them were suddenly abolished.

I saw this earlier in the thread and you're quite right Titanic, the merits or otherwise of allowing Ms Thalambo to stay here are being clouded by a legal argument over her 'criminal' status that has little merit, as the 'crimes' she's committed say little about her character.

A recent poster laments the fact that she worked here 'illegally', whilst also denouncing the fact that their taxes were being used to support this individual.

Her status as a criminal was created by her status, it would be like being surprised that ordinary people turned to crime if the the benefit system that supports them were suddenly abolished.

she hasn't worked illegally she did volunteer to work in an old people home ! so nothing wrong with that is there?

what an odd remark.

we got indipendence because like every nation on the face of the earth we have the righ to self govern. it was not a favour to us or some kind of priviledge.

Odd remark? Taken on its own, perhaps.

As it was a response to post #10, which you conveniently forgot to quote, not so.

I disagree. If you commit a crime I think it speaks volumes about a persons character. I also think there are levels of crime and some not as bad as others so perhaps I contradict myself a little but hey oh, thats my view.

Her status as a criminal wasnt created by her status. It was created by her choice to go down that path. I am guessing that there are alot of people on benefits that choose not to commit fraud and claim benefits while working, just as there are those that do cheat the system. If you get caught then you are branded for the choice you make and that has a detrimental impact on you for the rest of your life. The circumstances dont come into it when you have a criminal record but it does stick with you and can last forever.

Why on earth what my forefathers did in colonial times that you think now rests on my shoulders as a burden, it doesn't and I was not in any way responsible for that just like everyone here to date. We are in the 21st Century and what has gone on before is just simply history. The future between these different people of today is what matters and not what people did a hundred or a few hundred or thousands of years ago. Get a grip!

Your first visible viewpoint is people like yourself trying to keep an illegal immigrant here who served time here for fraud in this Country because they were fed false information about her circumstances. Do you honestly think she is going home for the hell of it and that the Home Office are being allowed by the courts to send a liar and fraudster to their death? she is a wanted criminal in Malawi where she came from and we have an extradition treaty with them.... she served her time here and now they want her.

When we keep Muslim hate clerics in this Country in case they get hurt back home, why on earth would we send her to a similar fate if it didn't exist?

Your second point about the law applying anywhere else? enlighten me?

So, I am a racist for upholding the law and telling the truth? something the person you are defending was clearly not capable of being sent to prison for defrauding our benefit system and all and yet you think you make sense and have a valid opinion above me who has never been to prison in my life?

Give colonialism a rest as it sucks as much as you use the cover for your own agenda. She was a criminal and she defrauded the tax payer and like all illegal immigrant criminals released from prison for their crimes, under British law she will be deported. Simple.

And once again for the umpteenth plus one time, colonisation has nothing directly to do with these case. However, it does present us indirectly with your thinking on the thoughts of the individual concerned.

I have no problems with anyone who supports the law on the proviso that they aren't selective with it, unfortunately you do not appear to come into this category as you only want to use the law as an argument when it suits you.

History is as long or as short as you want it to be, it doesn't matter if it is one day, one year or a hundred years, all that matters is what is right and wrong and clearly you are unable to apply these principles to any period.

Another poster has indicated that you have previously been known as Nodens on here, I don't subscribe to this viewpoint as he/she had some compassion and frequently defended the rights of people fleeing regimes they didn't like, whereas you seem to be unable to show any humanity to someone who has in all probability suffered some horrendous things in her life.

I never said it was easy but if they would rather roll over and let him get away with it then my sympathy is minimal. I dont care how big his army is and how many corrupt officials hes are your seriously telling my there isnt enough people in that country to rise up and sort the freak out?

No, its much easier to come here and live the easy life.

Just Googled and the estimated population is 12,311,143

Plenty id say.

except for very few exceptional human beings who have evolved beyond taking care of themselves and theirs we are all motivated by the need to be safe and keep ours safe. to be fed and keep ours fed etc. it is this basic human instinct that makes such suffering possible. or more correctly that those in power know this.

would you rise and revolt knowing your child, though hungry because of the prevailing situation, would be killed if you spoke? would you speak up after seeing your neighbor beaten to death in front of you?

12 million isn't such a big number when it feels like the spotlight is on you.

easy for those looking from far to talk as everything always is when you can flip a tv channel or change website.

I disagree. If you commit a crime I think it speaks volumes about a persons character. I also think there are levels of crime and some not as bad as others so perhaps I contradict myself a little but hey oh, thats my view.

So what would be your view about someone who takes home the office paper clips, theft which is aggravated by a breach of trust?

The crime committed by Ms Thalambo says little about her character, since we would all behave the same way in times of desperation to provide for our families, since she had no option but to work illegally.

Frankly, when they make working an illegal activity for everyone then different conclusions about her character might be drawn.

she hasn't worked illegally she did volunteer to work in an old people home ! so nothing wrong with that is there?

I'm not familiar with the minutiae of this case, and personally I wouldn't criminalise people who seek to work, rather than resorting to more anti social methods of making money, so I wasn;t suggesting there was anything wrong in her attempts to do so, either voluntarily or for payment.

If she hasn't been in paid employment, could I ask how she has been supporting herself?

Odd remark? Taken on its own, perhaps.

As it was a response to post #10, which you conveniently forgot to quote, not so.

we were a british colony. yes. and we demanded independence. yes. and your govenment did what it saw fit to aid the transition. yes. and our did much to ultimately mess things up. yes. all matter of record. and whithout going into how much harm the white man did when he came or how much the black man gained. or, closer to the truth, how both gained, i took issue with your remark because, taken in any context, i sounds like you're saying we asked for indipendence, got it and voted the jerk into power so we deserve everythig that's come to us.

correct me if i'm wrong to think that's what you meant.

The deportation of Priviledge Thulambo and her daughters is appalling. I didn't vote for a goverment to be part of a country which has no compassion or even good sense. These women and people like them - with invalid paperwork forced upon them because they are fleeing from rape, torture and murder must be listened to and responded to with compassion and welcomed into our very rich country. Honestly - what can we do? If any of us were fleeing our country terrified would we have time to get ourselves new passports and visas - especially if we were being pursued by our tormentors.

I have already written to my MP /Nick Clegg/angela smith and the bishop of york who has a heart for Zimbawe but they are on holiday at the moment