First Bus Fares Up 8% On Jan 3, 2009

Jozafeen

But only if you are prepared to provide the budget from none farebox revenure ie rates to provide cash to run the service

Well as its shown, these companies actually make a healthy profit, thats after all why they have shareholders, so yes, thats a fair answer, the council runs them, the extra profit can be used to reduce all our council tax's, sounds like a win win situation to me !!

Again?! They've only just gone up haven't they? That's it, i'm buying a car!!

They went up last January and have not done so since.

The special fares on the 52, 41, 42, 94 etc have gone up and down whever Stagecoach has revised theirs.

Either that or you may be confusing First with Stagecoach general fares which have gone up 3 times this year.

They are cheaper (just) I think but unfortunately for me they don't run any services in Wincobank. First have a monopoly in the area which explains why they don't seem to care whether their buses show up or not since we can't switch to a competitor.

Not entirely true. Stagecoach special fares on the 88, 83, 12, 52 are cheaper yet the Stagecoach Yorkshire general fares on certain distances have been dearer for months.

example: 29, 265 Ecclesfield to Sheffield is £1.60 yet First is £2.

29, 265 Ecclesfield to Chapeltown is £1.20 yet First is £1 or £1.10.

Take away all First's and Stagecoach's special promotional fares and actually they are on a par with each other. Always will be as that is market forces.

You could have cheaper fares under the council yes but your council tax will susidise this. Either way everyone pays or just the user pays.

Im sorry, but this is legalised theft from those people who can ill afford these price hikes, i can travel 1 mile for 30p, thats including tax, insurance, fuel and general running costs, what does it cost on the bus or tram, about 4 times that!!!, on top of that, the bus service is getting free bus lanes provided by the tax payers of sheffield.

If this council wants to keep users out of their cars, then give them an incentive, not a reason to abandon public transport :loopy::loopy:

The £48.00 Stagecoach monthly ticket works out at £1.55-£1.60 per day depending on whether there are 30 or 31 days in the month. In your equation of 30p per mile, this will give you 5-6 miles to equal my £1.60 per day. So for £1.60 I can go from Halfway to Sheffield, on to shopping at Meadowhall and back to the city centre. Later in the same day I can go down to see my parents over the border and then go into Sheffield to the cinema and back home. This is a lot of mileage but at £1.60 it's a bargain plus I can sit back and let someone else do the driving for me!

I used the Stagecoach ticket as an example because I can only use their services where I live so I know the price and details.

The £48.00 Stagecoach monthly ticket works out at £1.55-£1.60 per day depending on whether there are 30 or 31 days in the month. In your equation of 30p per mile, this will give you 5-6 miles to equal my £1.60 per day. So for £1.60 I can go from Halfway to Sheffield, on to shopping at Meadowhall and back to the city centre. Later in the same day I can go down to see my parents over the border and then go into Sheffield to the cinema and back home. This is a lot of mileage but at £1.60 it's a bargain plus I can sit back and let someone else do the driving for me!

I used the Stagecoach ticket as an example because I can only use their services where I live so I know the price and details.

nice idea... but if you dont want to do that the day after, you'll still have to pay for it. so then it cost you 3.20 to do all that stuff... and then if you are watching hollyoaks omnibus the day after, its now 4.80...

i do see what you're saying, but ultimately buying monthly tickets as you suggest will set you back about £600 a year... fine if you do a lot. every day.

otherwise not fine.

the last time i was on a bus it was 2p when i went to school, my wife uses them as she hasnt yet passed her test, she was stood in town for over an hour waiting for a bus on a service that should run every 15 mins,

no wonder people choose the car over the bus its un reliable and poor value for money,

if i go into town on a night out i always get a taxi as the one and only time i went for the bus again it never appeared so i called for a taxi whilst stood at the stop.

From today's Star:

"SOUTH Yorkshire's biggest bus company today announced it is increasing fares by an average of eight per cent in the new year.

First is putting up its prices despite falling oil prices - because it bulk-bought its fuel for next year in the summer, when the cost was high.

But the rise also follows a hefty increase in First Group's UK profits and despite its South Yorkshire arm already charging more than some of the firm's other British bus subsidiaries.

From January 3, single fares will increase by 10p, day tickets by 50p to £4.50 for travel across the county or £4 for travel only in Sheffield, Rotherham or Doncaster.

Weekly tickets will rise by £1, while monthly tickets will rise from £54 to £60 in Sheffield, and from £50 to £54 in Rotherham and Doncaster."

Full feature here

Typical that when fuel prices are falling, First are increasing fares!

Hmm, I wonder that if NOW some people who replied to my last two threads about the 52 route upping its weekly ticket price by 40% in 3 months will start to get annoyed about these price rises.

The attitude: “You pay less than me so why should I care”, was resounding from the responses received. The same people will probably be moaning now it affects them!

First raised the cost of a weekly ticket (the Red weekly) from £5 to £7 in August this year, then to £9 in october. So From Jan it will be £10 a week. Thats a 100% rise in 5-6 months!

Sheffield Council better do something about or bus service as i got worse an so unreliable since they let the First Group take over or Transport,First never want to help it customers out,you contact them about a problem an always "Sorry its not or fault we just haven"t got enough Drivers" i catch the 47 or 48 bus an this Service is so unreliable its unbelievable,an were is always the Biggest Ques at the bottom of the Moor the 47 or 48 Bus Stop

They went up last January and have not done so since.

The special fares on the 52, 41, 42, 94 etc have gone up and down whever Stagecoach has revised theirs.

Either that or you may be confusing First with Stagecoach general fares which have gone up 3 times this year.

I can only speak for the 52 but the First 52 special weekly, the red one, has gone up in price twice this year and will be double the price compared to last January after this new price rise.