Are people born in the 1950s a privileged generation?

Which was the best decade to be born  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best decade to be born

• before 1910.
    • 1910-1920
    • 1920-1930
    • 1930-1940
    • 1940-1950
    • 1950-1960
    • 1960-1970
    • 1970-1980
    • 1980-1990
    • 1990-2000
    • 2000-2010
    • I would rather be born sometime in the future
    • I would have liked to be a caveman
    • The Middleages look good to me
    • Poverty in the Industrial Revolution has a certain appeal

Are people born in the 1950s a privileged generation?

I was born in the 1950s and on reflection I can’t think of a better time to have been born.

I did not have to live through any major wars.

The food I was given as a kid was not designed to kill me.

As a kid I was able to play outside in relative safety and even walk home from school .

I was educated totally free right through university.

I travelled by steam trains as a matter of course.

I was a teenager during the swinging 60s and saw groups like The Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Zepelin, Free, Fleetwood Mac, Cream etc for between 3/6p (17.5p) and a quid.

Inflation in the 1970s meant my mortgage payments quickly evapourated.

I missed call up.

I was able to travel the globe easily and in relative safety. Until recently without the terrorist threats and the conequential agravation.

I will probably not be too badly effected by global warming, but I do worry about the planet we will leave to the next generation.

I also worry about folks trying to buy their first house with a £20K student debt.

Haven't even mentioned petrol or the recession.

There will no doubt be many other advantages.

I am interested in other peoples thoughts.

I could even add a poll if there are plenty of opinions.

I certainly think as far as the 20th century is concerned, the 50's generation did have a good ride for most of their life. The earth was blessed with my presence in '73 and as such missed some good times, had a crap education system, had to put up with Bros in the charts, YOP schemes and just to top it off, becoming sexually active and being told AIDS will kill us all...

But i believe the best time is yet to come, probably not in my lifetime but i reckon mankind is sowing its own seeds for armageddon, IMO, either a major world war or natural catastrophe is heading our way and give a couple of hundred years and i believe mankind (or whats left of it anyway) will have learned many lessons and thus, a better more peaceful humankind will exist.

I do sometimes wonder whether I was born at the wrong time. I would have thought probably earlier than the 50's for me though personally.

I don't buy into all this 'the good ole days' crap that I hear, every generation has it's problems.. but I do think you could be onto something with the 50's.

I have previously and currently work with a few from that era, and they are all ..hmm can't think of the word.. 'cool' will do, open minded and happy.

I do sometimes wonder whether I was born at the wrong time. I would have thought probably earlier than the 50's for me though personally.

I don't buy into all this 'the good ole days' crap that I hear, every generation has it's problems.. but I do think you could be onto something with the 50's.

I have previously and currently work with a few from that era, and they are all ..hmm can't think of the word.. 'cool' will do, open minded and happy.

Does this mean I'll be getting fewer lippy comments about my age in future?? :hihi: