Mother of 8 complaining about state of house

I suppose those who choose to put their own material greed before the real reason why they were put on the earth feel the need to try and put down those who can 'make do and mend' and still love and care for their children, no matter how many they choose to have.

' I can't afford to have kids' is the saddest lie people tell themselves.

As far as I was aware the damnation of women for having more that 2.2 children is a relatively recent phenomenon. In days gone by this number of children would be seen as completely acceptable no matter what sort of finances the parents had.

We do not live in China. There are no rules as to how many children we can have.

We should also bear in mind that at current rates the young people of today are going to be the ones paying for the rising cost of an increasing elderly population, of which many of us will belong within the next forty or fifty years.

Assuming that these children are not condemned to the social scrap heap as so many of you on this thread seem to deem inevitable, then they could well be helping to pay your pensions, heating allowances, medical bills etc.

As far as I was aware the damnation of women for having more that 2.2 children is a relatively recent phenomenon. In days gone by this number of children would be seen as completely acceptable no matter what sort of finances the parents had.

We do not live in China. There are no rules as to how many children we can have.

We should also bear in mind that at current rates the young people of today are going to be the ones paying for the riing cost of an increasing elderly population, of which many of us will belong within the next forty or fifty years.

Assuming that these children are not condemned to the social scrap heap as so many of you on this thread seem to deem inevitable, then they could well be helping to pay your pensions, heating allownances, medical bills etc.

Not really thought this through, have you? We live on an overpopulated island on an overpopulated planet with resources that are rapidly running out. If everyone decides they're going to have 8 children and each of those goes on to have 8 children, that's 64 extra people multiplying exponentially until eventually it'll be so crowded we'll all have to sleep standing uo.

It won't be terrorism or "global warming" that finishes the human race off - it'll simply be too many people for the planet to support.

But actually that is not true is it. Population rates in Britain have been on the decline for many years.

Most of us do not want scores of children, however that does not mean that everyone should be restricted.

You have no children, she has eight. Somewhere, due to the amount of women now choosing careers over parenting there may be a balance.

"By the middle of the century it is likely that a third of the population in Britain will be over 60 thanks to people living longer coupled with falling fertility rates

They found that by the middle of the century there is an 82 per cent chance that a third of the population in Britain will be over 60 thanks to people living longer coupled with falling fertility rates, compared with 98 per cent in Japan/Oceania and close to zero per cent for sub-Saharan Africa."

A study by Professor Lutz

I suppose those who choose to put their own material greed before the real reason why they were put on the earth feel the need to try and put down those who can 'make do and mend' and still love and care for their children, no matter how many they choose to have.

' I can't afford to have kids' is the saddest lie people tell themselves.

I disagree - if the only purpose of life on earth is procreation, then you've not really achieved anything save for replicated another generation.

And 'I can't afford to have kids' is, far from a lie, one of the most sensible statements you can ever make - if more people thought like that there might be less of the social problems we see today.

But actually that is not true is it. Population rates in Britain have been on the decline for many years.

Most of us do not want scores of children, however that does not mean that everyone should be restricted.

You have no children, she has eight. Somewhere, due to the amount of women now choosing careers over parenting there may be a balance.

Indeed. I read somewhere recently that in the Uk the average number of children per woman is less than what is needed to replenish the population. I'll see if I can find the reference. Having children is now a life style choice, whereas in the past it was pretty much a given that once hitched, a couple would have kids.

I suppose that the Malthusian concept of Moral Restraint is out of the question ?

Well said, that man! If you don;t know what he's referring to;

"Moral restraint was the means by which the higher ranks of humans limited their family size in order not to dissipate their wealth among larger numbers of heirs. For the lower ranks of humans, vice and birth control were the means by which their numbers could be limited - but Malthus believed that these were insufficient to limit the vast numbers of the poor."

http://www.victorianweb.org/economics/essay.html

Malthuis wrote that around 200 years ago! Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose, as the famous French philosopher Vanessa Paradis has often been heard to remark.