Mother of 8 complaining about state of house

Well she is 31 and a single mum, her eldest is 15...you guys do the math. I suppose you have to give her some due, she could have had them taken away by social services, she might be doing just fine as a single mother.

I live in a housing association house and the floors are my responsibility. If I break the bathroom tiles, I fix them, not the maintenance people, unless I can prove that they broke them while doing work.

What this lady should be doing is asking for a bigger house. She is living in a three bedroom house with 8 kids!! She has the smallest room with the baby, so that leaves 4 in one room and three in the other. Surely that constitutes overcrowding. Or maybe some of them kip on the settee, or wherever they drop from exhaustion.

Actually, under housing rules, she may not be overcrowded:- remember, a child under one does not figure at all, for the purposes of occupancy numbers, a child between the ages of one and ten counts as half a person, and children over the age of ten, count as one person.

this is her situation:

Toni lives with children Gemma, 15, Ricky, 14, Callum, 11, Ryan, 10, Caitlin, eight, Jay, four, Ellie, two, and Crystal, eight months.

so, the 15, the 14 the 11 and the 10 year olds all count as one person each, then the next three (the 8, 4 and 2 year olds) count as a half a person each, and the 8 month old doesn't figure at all. so thats:_ *adds up, quickly:-

Those nine people add up to six-and-a-half persons. which in a three bedroom house would not be overcrowded, however cramped it is...

Actually, under housing rules, she may not be overcrowded:- remember, a child under one does not figure at all, for the purposes of occupancy numbers, a child between the ages of one and ten counts as half a person, and children over the age of ten, count as one person.

this is her situation:

so, the 15, the 14 the 11 and the 10 year olds all count as one person each, then the next three (the 8, 4 and 2 year olds) count as a half a person each, and the 8 month old doesn't figure at all. so thats:_ *adds up, quickly:-

Those nine people add up to six-and-a-half persons. which in a three bedroom house would not be overcrowded, however cramped it is...

Very convenient way of doing Maths for the housing department ;)

How do the kids ever do any homework in conditions like that? Especially if older ones are sharing with tots. I still think this is why a lot of youths are roaming the streets and girls end up having babies too young, because they've got no space of their own at home so they go out to find it for themselves.

One of my schoolfriends was one of about 8 or 9 kids and they lived in a terrace - her mum and dad curtained off the front room and slept in that with the little ones and the older ones had to bunk up in the two bedrooms. Luckily they were in the town centre so they could do their schoolwork in the library instead!

Read through the clip twice and i can't see anywhere that it states that she is on benifits, it says she is a single mum, doesn't mean she always has been.

My mother had 7 kids and when her and dad split up she was i suppose a single parent, we didn't live in a council house and it was looked after and always spotless.

My friend at that time had 12 siblings and this was the norm back then, why is everyone so outraged that someone has 8.

We can't have it both ways, you can't expect family values whilst at the same time pushing mothers out to work.

The Star could have written the story a wee bit better, but it is about her home being missed out of the refurbishment program, not about how many kids she has or their ages.

What makes me laugh ont his thread, only one or two generations ago, families with 10+ kids were the norm, contraception has only been freely available for what 20 years or so?

So all you calling this woman a slag and worse for having 8 children, I assume you feel your own parents may also have been born from slags then, your grandparents were slags, remembering how many men died in WWII it's also more than likely your parents were ********?

What degrading term do you use for the father of alot of children? I mean, your all so well-balanced and fair to judge aren't you, so you must have a name for one?

Pathetic.

This woman and her children are having to live in deplorable conditions due to some council **** up and a surveyor overlooking her house. Surely that is the point of this argument?

And where does it say that the children have been fathered by different men or that this woman doesn't work? Blimey, talk about making assumptions based on what? That she has 8 kids and lives in a council property in Chapeltown?