Textile recycling in Sheffield?

CharleyF

Does anyone know if there's anywhere to take textiles (worn out clothes) for recycling in Sheffield? I don't want to put them in a clothing bin as they're not fit for anyone to wear. Did a search already but all I found was a rumour that there may or may not have been a textile recycling bin at Waitrose in 2006! Ta.

• 4 weeks later...

I have always put mine in the oxfam recycling bions. My understanding is that the stuff worth selling they sell, stuff worth sending to Africa goes out there and the rest is recycled.

There are also large bins at the Household recycling centres listed on the Council Website I believe.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere to take textiles (worn out clothes) for recycling in Sheffield? I don't want to put them in a clothing bin as they're not fit for anyone to wear. Did a search already but all I found was a rumour that there may or may not have been a textile recycling bin at Waitrose in 2006! Ta.

There is a recycling bin at Handsworth Asda, situated alongside the bottle banks.

• 9 years later...

This is a way way late addition to the party but I came across this thread and thought that this might help anyone else who happens on it.

I've done a bit of research in this area, and it really doesn't matter what state the textiles are in - as long as they are not wet or mouldy.

According to a London recycler, http://www.lmb.co.uk/recycle.html, torn and stained textiles get turned into things like cleaning rags, I've also read somewhere that they get turned into mattress filling and car insulation, all sorts!

Anyway hope that helps anyone else who stumbles on this... Ultimately all these organisations want to avoid the textiles going into a landfill site.

The cat shelter used to like to take old towelling -- does anyone know if they have still do?

I don't know about the cat shelter but over the years I've taken loads of old towels, sheets and duvets and even curtains to the animal shelter on Spring Street and they've always been extremely grateful.