The Sheffield Gay Scene

I enjoyed your post Nemex.

I don't think the intention with Identity was to recapture the good old days. From speaking to Roger, one of the owners, they were trying to create a new style bar/club that provided a modern stylish environment where everyone could just be themselves in a safe, friendly and comfortable environment. It is hardly in the back of beyond, Attercliffe is only about 10mins out of the city centre in a taxi. The problem with a city centre venue is that you don't always then get a later licence which some people do look for on a night out as well. I really do hope that people do keep going to Identity because I know I will. At least give it a try for one Fri or Sat night (I know you say you have Nemex) and then decide if it meets your needs for a night out? I for one don't think it can be beaten on the Sheffield scene :D

Nemex - you have actually read my mind on all your points, spot on.

Was at Lions Lair last night for the custard wrestling and for the after party, and i have to say that was the best night ive had in Sheffield ever.... i nearly wet myself with laughter, especially at Tia Anna and Martin from Demps! And hats off to whoever had to clean that mess up! I only saw some remains of custard in the gutter when we came back after demps... fantastic!

Nemex's point on Gay places needing to be in the hive of the nightlife in Sheffield is so spot on, we dont want to be pushed to back end of nowhere.

Anyways, must go and sleep as i still seemed to be dancing at Lions at 6am this morn...

The big problem people open these venues with no real promotion I heard about the old crown opening,on this forum I went on the opening weekend on the Sunday i was the only person in the place.

Hmmm yes who wants to be walking out to unsafe lonely attercliffe to identity and Xes and risking getting attacked either in the bars or out of em ...

are there attacks?!

ive only ever seen one form of aggression from a load of asian guys outside demps, when they had a couple of C02 fir extinguishers and they ran past and sprayed the people in the smoking bit. I dont even think it was gay related abuse, just abuse, as they didnt heckle the usual 'fag' or 'queer' type stuff.

aside from that its all been good! For me at least

Affinity dont 'own' the quarter. They had been running nights there on weekends, for some reason after about a month they stopped. There is plenty going on though, use facebook to look for climax, rah rah rah, tease, speedqueen and lions after parties. Also rumour of sanctuary going gay too.

I heard from the Affinity manager, Tony, several weeks back that he was 'quitting the Quarter', and the new management at the Quarter are supposed to be still Gay-Friendly and DJ's such as John Dixon have played there since the management change.

BTW, I wondered what had happened to TEASE in October; at least it didn't clash again with Rah Rah Rah, where I ended up after getting plastered in the Custard wrestling at Lions Lair...

Best of Luck for TEASE in November, and I'll be happy to help get the flyers out to people outside all the regular haunts in the run-up to the next one...:hihi:

Content Removed

Edited by Nemex

Thank you and glad you agree. I know there's always going to be scepticism about any post you make regarding Lions Lair, due to your involvement. As I've already said I always enjoy Lions Lair and especially the after parties and if people need to hear from a Lions Lair customer that it gets the thumbs up :thumbsup:, I will gladly 'bang the drum' for Lions Lair.

The custard battles were bloody hilarious :hihi: and Lions was practicaly bursting with happy people enjoying themselves, me and my friends really enjoyed the custard battles. Afterparty was fantastic as always, danced away until some silly time Saturday morning.

Had a good night at Lions on the Saturday as well, spent a few hours in there before Electrosexual @ Red Room, then when Electrosexual finished, came back down to Lions for the afterparty. I will say although I enjoyed the afterparty and it was busy, music wasn't as good as it usually is, there was a distinct lack of John Dixon.....what happened? Was still a good afterparty though.

Nemex please stop with these well thought out posts! It will ruin the reputation of the gay threads you are making everyone look bad!

Unfortunately John being so popular, Speedqueen, Electrosexual, Carling Academy and Quarter to name a few he is not always available. He will always be there after an event eg Climax but we cant gurantee for both nights, if we find someone as good as John to fill in i'll let you know but for now its just some house cd's we have mixed on his 'off' nights!

Say hi to myself or Graham if you see us there sometime!

Well an Idea for the clubs in Attercliffe why not run a free bus service to the club for a couple of hours each weekend. At least that will save half the taxi fare

Free bus may work... clutching at straws maybe but you never know till you try!

Yes nemex you seem to have put too much prethought into these posts as they are very well worded and make so much sense! Damn you putting us all to shame!

Jamesogt i will be sticking my head in the lions at some point this weekend so will say hi, put a face to the text an all that

cheers

matt

Everyone's gay friendly when you spending your pink pound.

Well Done Tia on the Custardd Wrestling. Soo wish i cudda seen! (watched it on a friends phone)

xxxx