The Sheffield Gay Scene

Floating huh Pete? Yeh me too, wonder where you saw it? ;)

via email from someone ;)

After months and months of not bothering I went out on the scene on Saturday. In Affinity the DJ ACTUALLY PLAYED MARIAH CAREY "ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS"! Yes on October the 4th!!!

The DJ's need to realise times have moved on. Gay people don't just listen to HI NRG Celine Dion and Steps remixes!

My second foray onto the Sheffield gay scene with 3 friends recently was an utter disaster. Lions Lair was dead (it was quite early to be fair), Affinity was dead and tried Sanctuary. It looked so nice inside. But yes, it was dead.... I suppose it was nowhere near pay day for most people...... Then my friend tripped on the stairs going out of Sanctuary for a cig. Got told he was drunk (if only!) & wasn't allowed in again....

The staff wouldn't ever have noticed if there had been more than 10 people in there.

Went to go back to the Lions Lair and it was closed......

So spent the night walking around looking for a busy bar and getting unnecessary hassle from over zealous staff....... :o:rolleyes::hihi:

Realised we could have spent a few quid more and been on Canal Street.... See you there Friday if you are going.... :)

My second foray onto the Sheffield gay scene with 3 friends recently was an utter disaster. Lions Lair was dead (it was quite early to be fair), Affinity was dead and tried Sanctuary. It looked so nice inside. But yes, it was dead.... I suppose it was nowhere near pay day for most people...... Then my friend tripped on the stairs going out of Sanctuary for a cig. Got told he was drunk (if only!) & wasn't allowed in again....

The staff wouldn't ever have noticed if there had been more than 10 people in there.

Went to go back to the Lions Lair and it was closed......

So spent the night walking around looking for a busy bar and getting unnecessary hassle from over zealous staff....... :o:rolleyes::hihi:

Realised we could have spent a few quid more and been on Canal Street.... See you there Friday if you are going.... :)

What day and time was this? Generally lions is quiet mid week overall, apart from Tuesday, when the LGBT unions meet up. Friday and Saturday picks up around 9, then lately the after parties have been packed from 3 am till 6 am. Did you not try dempseys? That really is the busiest of the 4 in general. (Lions may be having a staff outing for Christmas to Canal St soon!)

SimonS, what day did you go out?!

I tend to stick to Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat nights... nowhere is busy till 9pm.

Dempseys is only really busy on fri / sat... some thursdays are ok.

I think the fact its november doesnt help! Its always a bit quieter - December is always good and busy.

Chin up!

Manchester has its merits... but i quite like sheffield for most of the time.

We went out to Affinity last night and it was dead there, only a handful in, Sanctuary did much better, had a few in and was picking up when we left.

Mid week does seem a bit quiet.

We went out to Affinity last night and it was dead there, only a handful in, Sanctuary did much better, had a few in and was picking up when we left.

Mid week does seem a bit quiet.

Should have come for free food with us! Saw carbs at Dempseys he echoed your sentiments.

Yes alas not even the fabulous Tyranna could draw them in last night in Affinity though she put on a brave effort as always ! Oh by the way Pete I left Sanctuary soon after you ... I didnt finish that strange lager whatever it was it had an odd taste - alas a pint was wasted ! Then I fetched up in Dempseys which was busy-ish - it was really way past my bedtime by then for a tuesday night !

What day and time was this? Generally lions is quiet mid week overall, apart from Tuesday, when the LGBT unions meet up. Friday and Saturday picks up around 9, then lately the after parties have been packed from 3 am till 6 am. Did you not try dempseys? That really is the busiest of the 4 in general. (Lions may be having a staff outing for Christmas to Canal St soon!)

It was Friday night. Maybe 1 or 2 weeks ago. It was around 9pm?? and 1am we tried the Lion's Lair. The first time it was dead and the second time closed. Think we just fell unlucky and didn't realise you close until 3am???. I can't wait to go to one of these after parties nights..... will keep checking dannybreeze's page for info etc... :)

We didn't want to walk to Dempseys as friends seemed to be having a good time in a (shock horror!) straight bar....! lol.

SimonS, what day did you go out?!

I tend to stick to Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat nights... nowhere is busy till 9pm.

Dempseys is only really busy on fri / sat... some thursdays are ok.

I think the fact its november doesnt help! Its always a bit quieter - December is always good and busy.

Chin up!

Manchester has its merits... but i quite like sheffield for most of the time.

We went out on a Friday. We only really go out on the scene once in a while in Sheffield nowadays. We all thought everyone must be saving their money. It was just bad luck and bad, bad, bad customer service / attitude / mis-understanding from a certain bar. Shan't be bothering to go back there even if they have Madonna playing live on Xmas Eve whilst giving out free Rolex's...... It really annoyed me (obviously). Won't ever beg to spend my money in a bar. They won't miss me and I won't miss them I suppose. It is up to them who they have in their bar and how they treat people.

We ended up meeting friends in straight bars, having a wicked time and trying the lions lair later....

Just wanted to post that for people who don't go out all the time it is quite difficult to fall on a busy lively good night with no hassle on the gay scene sometimes.....

I'm glad there are so many places to try and I know that misunderstandings happen in all bars between staff and customers but what a waste of money and effort! I am only glad I hadn't dragged more friends with me. The reason we are going to Manchester is because you KNOW it will be busy with a good atmosphere. I will go out in Sheffield again and don't want to dis or upset you people who work hard to make it good but I am being realistic.

SimonS, i hear you and dont disagree... i fell out with affinity and dont go in anymore... still go to sanctuary odd times but find it a bit echoey... so seem to spend my time on sheffield scene between lions lair and dempseys... dempseys is a bit of a dive, but i always have a good night their on a weekend. You defo have to try an afterparty at lions, especially after something like climax or speedqueen, its the dogs cahoonas!

We do manchester every so often... havin said that we havent been since manc pride, which was awesome. I find i have to stay over, as a train at 5am is just a ridiculous thought when hammered, i'd be sick! So thats why we dont go much, because im a fussy git, we have to stay in a hotel! Have a wicked time when we do go though. Havent tried Leeds yet, its on the 'to do' list.

Roll on xmas and sheffield scene will pick up!

Cheers

Matt

. It was just bad luck and bad, bad, bad customer service / attitude / mis-understanding from a certain bar. Shan't be bothering to go back there even if they have Madonna playing live on Xmas Eve whilst giving out free Rolex's...... It really annoyed me (obviously). Won't ever beg to spend my money in a bar. They won't miss me and I won't miss them I suppose. It is up to them who they have in their bar and how they treat people.

realistic.

Please share?! Wasn't Lions I hope! If it was pvt me and I will have words!

Oh dear - no gay bar whichever one it was - can really afford to be Dissing its potential customers in this economic climate - how silly to be turning away trade that cant last for the said bar ! whichwvwe onw it was ...