Would you judge a person by what they read?

Always been an avid reader and I've usually got two books on the go at any given time - one in the house and one for my regular treks working away. Will read most things as long as it's not slushy ******.

Not sure you can judge a person by what they read too harshly, but I've never got on brilliantly with anyone who doesn't read anything at all.

Theres a real snobbery on here about reading material isnt there :rolleyes: ... I read a huge variety of stuff, infact if pushed i will read anything ... and when Im in a reading mood, can easily finish a book in 2 days...... i have to read a lot of research and academic material for professional reasons.... i enjoy a lot of factual stuff and for pleasure i read a lot of thriller-ie books ... forensic type murder stuff, super natural and just last week .... out of sheer desperation (and because they were there...)read 3 danielle steels books (which were trash .... but filled a few hours on the sun bed).

I dont think you can tell anything about what a person reads .... and it doesnt bother me in the least if my friends are 'interlectual readers' 'trash readers' or the type who dont even pick up a book, my friends and loved ones are loved and respected by me for the people they are, not whats on their reading list

So a person who reads Archer books is not worth knowing? If that`s what someone thinks then sorry but that person is not someone I would want to know. I have a friend whose reading preferences I don`t share. It doesn`t make a haporth of difference, we can find plenty of other things to agree about.

Have you even read From Hell? If so I am impressed by your taste ;)

Sorry, I forgot to answer this question. I most probably have, as I have read every biography (other than Cornwell's) on JtR. I once watched the film From Hell on video (before we have a DVD player) in bed. Little Mr S, only 2 at the time, had awoken as per always, so brought him into bed, settled him back to sleep then resumed play. He only happened to wake up at the moment JtR slashes and mutilates Mary Kelly. Poor child is probably scarred for life.:(

*Halibut now understands why he clung onto me so in Endcliffe Park*:suspect:

The Road - argh, how bleak, depressing and disturbing is that? I read the Kite Runner (depressing, harrowing and bleak) followed by A Thousand Splendid Suns, even more depressing, bleak and harrowing to the extent that I found myself agreeing with Bush's foreign policy. :help: Am I a masochistic glutton for punishment or what? Then read On Chesil Beach (depressing) followed by Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance (depresing).

I once foolishly read a biography of the Bulger killers which kept me awake at night. Why do I do it to myself?:rolleyes: It drives Mr S nuts, as he clambers into bed, to find me wide eyed and in a blind rage and full rant mode.:rolleyes: I followed that with Jane Thomlison's first autobiography. :help:

I'm a sucker for anything dystopian or apocalyptic but even I would advise against reading The Road.

I love things like Thomas Hardy, Mary Webb, depressing tales dispelling the rural idyll ;) And I like anything to do with Plath of course. And Icelandic sagas, full of blood, guts, hacking, slashing, blood oaths etc. :thumbsup:

So a person who reads Archer books is not worth knowing? If that`s what someone thinks then sorry but that person is not someone I would want to know. I have a friend whose reading preferences I don`t share. It doesn`t make a haporth of difference, we can find plenty of other things to agree about.

Fairy snuff. I've said that it's fair play if people want to read that sort of thing but I will look upon it much as mad keen football supporters look upon a fair weather fan.

I dont think you can tell anything about what a person reads .... and it doesnt bother me in the least if my friends are 'interlectual readers' 'trash readers' or the type who dont even pick up a book, my friends and loved ones are loved and respected by me for the people they are, not whats on their reading list

I disagree Pinky, if someone reads solely 1 genre then you can tell quite a bit about that person. If they read a wide variety of books, then no you can't.

I know some people who read only serious heavy weight philosophy of science stuff etc, which kind of makes in somewhat in awe of them.

The one genre I cannot abide is chick lit.:gag::gag::gag:

Can you judge a person by what and if they read?

You can make judgements about them yes. Steer clear of people who read Mein Kampf and the Marquee de Sade. People who read the Daily Mail every day (like my parents have since their mental faculties have started to slip through age) will be ridiculously predictable in their outlook on a whole range of issues.

Then you have people who declare books by James Joyce to be works of genius, who are either much cleverer than me, or there's a big conspiracy going on to keep university lecturers in lucrative employment which involvolves doing sod all (anyway, meaning there much cleverer than me)

Inverse snobbery about reading makes me laugh. I've got a literature degree, I'm a voracious reader always have been but I read a variety of stuff.

Heat magazine, Q magazine I buy all the time.

My current book is the Kite Runner but before that, it was Belle De Jour!

I have to read enough hard work stuff for work so I like my downtime stuff to be downright trashy! That doesn't make me thick, just that I like to relax and I'd never judge anyone by what they are reading.

I do think it's sad when people don't like to read AT all as surely there is something for everyone.

I don't agree that you can't tell anything, but I don't think that has to mean a negative judgement necessarily. I have friends who are real reading enthusiasts and friends who only read Jodi Picoult. It's fine - I love them for themselves, not their taste in reading.

My boyfriend, up until two months ago, hadn't picked up a single novel in the entire time we'd been together (about 15 months). I don't know whether he was just fed up of watching TV or what, but it's been a joy for me watching him read. He's now getting tired of me saying 'When you've finished that one, you absolutely have to try this one...' :hihi:

I'm a sucker for anything dystopian or apocalyptic but even I would advise against reading The Road.

I love things like Thomas Hardy, Mary Webb, depressing tales dispelling the rural idyll ;) And I like anything to do with Plath of course. And Icelandic sagas, full of blood, guts, hacking, slashing, blood oaths etc. :thumbsup:

Jude the Obscure must be one of THE most depressing books I have ever had the misfortune to read. Loved Tess and I see it's about to be dramatised, interesting to see how Alec d'Urberville is portrayed.

Please enlighten me on the Icelandic sagas.

I love the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, so uplifting, whimsical and a joy to read. Although Radio 4 Dead Ringers' p-take was spot on and absolutely hilarious.

Then you have people who declare books by James Joyce to be works of genius, who are either much cleverer than me, or there's a big conspiracy going on to keep university lecturers in lucrative employment which involvolves doing sod all (anyway, meaning there much cleverer than me)

Or Emperor's new clothes syndrome?

Is there a group of academics somewhere who are ploughing through Ulysses, deconstructing and trying to make sense of it?