Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

46 minutes ago, Ross22 said:

Hi does anyone remember any members of the Hicks family? 

I remember the name 'Hicks'. Cannot recall the first name. Good friend with one of the Strutt family.

Saw the lad I'm thinking of at Bramall Lane a couple of years ago. 

Jacki hicks lived on Gervase Avenue 3 doors from me  if that’s who you mean

On 09/10/2020 at 15:01, abbeyedges said:

I remember the name 'Hicks'. Cannot recall the first name. Good friend with one of the Strutt family.

Saw the lad I'm thinking of at Bramall Lane a couple of years ago. 

Bob Hicks he goes in the Sheaf after games.

On 09/10/2020 at 14:12, Ross22 said:

Hi does anyone remember any members of the Hicks family? 

Bob Hicks, also remember a couple of Ross family.

Hi I lived on Beckett road at number 42

I can remember the sledging , going up the 13 storey flats to the top floor. Playing on the swings at the back of the terminus shops, wearing little pink glittering high heels sandals that held on with elastic, playing at French skipping,  playing at 'what time is it Mr Wolf' , sitting in the bus shelter at night for something to do , Gus singing the song 'War' at the top of his voice. We have a picture of my brother with Derek Spooner  on Derek's front and the 13 storeys was just being built. He was born in 1957.

Tina Sellars sister was called Diane not Mandy and I heard that sadly she had died not sure why. 

Happy days 

Finley. Do you remember who got a javelin in their foot, playing on or near the triangle? I'm sure you were there.

Yes I can remember it was me!! My mum went to the culprits house. Namely Mrs Shemald and found out the the culprit was very sorry. My mum was all dressed up to go to a dinner and dance at the transport club at four lane ends so she was no a happy bunny. 

On 01/02/2021 at 13:12, scowley said:

Finley. Do you remember who got a javelin in their foot, playing on or near the triangle? I'm sure you were there.

Where was the triangle?

Start from Becket road and walk on Beckett walk and it's there. It was just like a triangle hence the name. We all played games on there. 

I remember you scowley!! You lived near Richard Rayner.  I used to play with you both!! Great times. In the juniors we were both in Mrs Scaif's (she hated me) and then Sandybag's! 

It was a fantastic place to be brought up. 

And no one could forget you Marie.

I'm sure Mrs Scaif hated every one of us. I was scared stiff of her, but I don't think I was the only one. I thought she was our 2nd year infant teacher in the portacabin, but I have found my school report from the second year of the Juniors and you are right. From what she has put on my report, there was no hope for me. Although I thought that I was a good bell monitor. Far too strict for 9 year olds, but then it was the 1960's.

We had Mrs Hopkinson in the first year and Mr Sanderson was our teacher in the 3rd and 4th year of the Juniors. We had the best classroom in the school next to the clock tower.

We may not have had the best education, or the best school, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Edited by scowley
updated information

On 06/09/2011 at 19:15, paulus said:

I remember Kev , he was one of the White Hart regulars in our crowd , very quiet but anybody that knew him well knew you didn't upset him.He had always fancied my ex Jane who came from posh Bradway so I was told but she picked me lol.I always got on well with Kev and used to deliver his milk when I started my own round up on Low Edges.I recognise virtually all the names mentioned here I lived up there from age 1 in 1954 till around 88.

Hi Paul, you still about mate? Just looking back over old posts.