Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

Youth club opened early 70s as you said , i started goin there around 1974 ish

Life was good on this estate in those days , iv lived here since i was born in 62

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 20:34 ----------

Hi, my name is Terry Lemons. My brother Keith and myself played with Kenny Cox for the Swan Athletic. More info on Kenny's death - The previous night we played a pre season friendly against Barlow FC at their ground at Barlow. We won 5-0. Kenny got a hat trick and I scored the other 2. We went back to the Barlow FC HQ for refreshments and then went home by coach. This was a Thursday evening. Kenny's mum called him up for work the next morning but was dead before she left his room. He was a very good player and has a dedicated sports headstone in Hutcliffe Wood Graveyard.

Did you have a sister called Marion ?

My sister used to mention a Terry Lemons !

I do have a sister called Marion, She now is happily married and lives at Aston. She has 4 grown up sons ! My twin brother lives at Malin Bridge Sheffield.

I lived in Lowedges Crescent from when the house was new, remember lots of names, was in junior school with Sue OGgden Jimmys sister, played football in the park, joined Army age 15 remember hearing about Kenny he was couple of years older than me. I"VE been looking for two old pals for years as I never really got back to Sheffield much after leaving, Charlie Walker Lived in the same cul-de-sac as me and Pete Hudson who lived on Lupton Crescent if I remember right he drank in the Maggie regularly used to meet him there sometimes when my mother was still alive. IF ANY ONE CAN PUT ME IN TOUCH WITH THEM IT WOULD BE GREAT AS I DONT HAVE ANYONE TO VISIT THERE ANYMORE.

---------- Post added 27-01-2013 at 13:25 ----------

Came across this by accident,god what memories you brought back,I recognise most of the names.here's a few more can any one remember Robert Osbourne,Keith Holt & John Mathewson(Ossie Spolt & Muff,always together)Paul Robinson Dave Priestley Pete Wright Chris Hannaford Pete Rowland Ray Picking Fred Stones Paul Bennett Pete Hudson Dave Twigg & what about the lasses June Wasden(Wassy I think) Jane Cooper Barbera Elliott Janice Gosling June Mcpherson Marylyn Tyree Pauline Middleton.Anyone remember these I lost touch over the years & would love to hear news of whats happened & where they are now

Hi think I know who you are I think we went around together I been looking to make contact with old mates went in the army age 15 before that knocked around on the shops with Pete Hudson Chris Hanniford, Barbara, Dave Priestly, Janice Gosling, Dave short who I am still in touch with, Chopper, Benny?? June , Jane, and so on (I am AL JAQUES ) . Any Info about how to get in touch particularly with PETE HUDSON WHO WAS BEST MAN AT MY WEDDING OR CHRIS HANNAFORD OR OF COURSE YOUR GOOD SELF WOULD BE GREAT.

Any of you out there lived on the Lowedges in the 60's and 70's. Did you frequent the Grennel Mower, Magpie, Bradway Hotel, White Hart etc. Did you go to the youth club at the church on the second shops and later the new youth club ran by a guy called John Fair? Do the names Gus, Haggis, Az, Big Willie, Maltby, Ruddy, Rare'un ring a bell???

Hi

My name is Tom Field I lived on Lupton Road between 1962 and 1971 when moved away and got married. Knew Phil Howard Chris Morton Jeff Bruce Redfern Barratt Eric Jackson Jimmy Ogden ( what a nice bloke, he stuck up for anyone who was off the estate, i saw that first hand. Other were cud, Ray and Ernie Thompson (sadly deceased) Jimmy Docherty Ray and Eddie Orange Buggsie Alan Ogden and loads more to be honest ooops forgot mention Gus Tomkins bro Steve Tomkins.

Dave O'Brian did not go to Australia he went to Coal Aston his bother Patrick works on Carterknowle Road. Hope everyone is ok who knows me. I see Terry lemons has made a quote!! I used to work with Keith on the Batemoor in the late 60's he ised to have a bird called Kiwi.

Now retired to Cornwall by the ocean

All the best

Tom

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 14:28 ----------

Does anyone remember when the youth club opened? I think it was about 1971 or '72. Remember going to Skeggy with the youth club about '73. Spent all day in a pub drinking rum n black - so ill I cannot stand the smell of the stuff now. Old man Martins caravan behind Maggi for sweets. Broken biscuits from Bennetts(?) Playing football in park all day. Drinking in Grennel Mower. DJ at the Magpie on a Monday night - was it Tearing Trev? Going up to Bradway carol singing because we thought they had more money up there. To start with, the bus from town would stop at Norton, 4 lane ends and we had to walk home from there. Then it was the 38 service. Then it was 42 and 53. 76 came later. It was a great place to grow up. Even the youth club was advanced compared to church halls.

Yeah I used to go to the club back in 1964/1965 then the Mod explosion started in Sheffield so I then started to go to Peter Stringfellows King Mojo Club on me trusty scooter. I remember old man Martin we used to shove it every night and get a penny chew for our efforts (kids get stuff to easy these days)

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 14:34 ----------

Jaunyone.....Dave O'Brien/Jordanthorpe School?

If 'your' D O'B is mid-fifties now, I was in the same class as him until I left in '67/68....

Nice kid : very fast on his feet (!) - always beat me in the ol' 100 yard sprint on sports day....good footballer, too....

He lives with his wife Val in Coal Aston

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 14:36 ----------

Hi Riffraff

Thanks for the reply to my thread about Dave O'Brien. It would be the same one, he also had a brother called Pat.

The last I hered of him was back in the 70's when he decided to go and work in Austrailia, just after marrying a gairl called Val.

I just wondeered if you knew where he was know.

I also remember a guy who hung around with us in the magpie called, Chris Morton.......

Cheers matey

Dave lives in Coal Aston

I went out with a boy who lived on lupton crescent his name was john westby

Can remember a youth club in the church hall in the late 60s.Think it was called the miter club (sort of mix between St Michaels & St Peters,the two chuches).It was run by Vic Wait who was supposed to have been a goalie with Rotherham

Can remember a youth club in the church hall in the late 60s.Think it was called the miter club (sort of mix between St Michaels & St Peters,the two chuches).It was run by Vic Wait who was supposed to have been a goalie with Rotherham

I have no idea mate I was a big lad then at 19 and was frequenting anywhere but a youth club. I went to the one just above the bottom shops and to be honest it was not very exciting.

Used to go down to the Esquire Club on Leadmill Road I think they call it something else these days but saw the Walker Brothers there and the Pretty Things too.

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 13:53 ----------

I went out with a boy who lived on lupton crescent his name was john westby

Whats your name love? I remember John he went into the Royal Navy and still lives on Gervase Drive if he is still alive.

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 13:56 ----------

Youth club opened early 70s as you said , i started goin there around 1974 ish

Life was good on this estate in those days , iv lived here since i was born in 62

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 20:34 ----------

Did you have a sister called Marion ?

My sister used to mention a Terry Lemons !

Hi Terry

My name is Tom Field, if you see your Keith please remember me to him we worked together in the late 60's on Jordanthorpe on Brownie's gang. Yep Me Keith Ken Brown, Vic Newboult, george Firth and little Mick the Hod Carrier now he was one very fit lad licked me into fits

Any of you out there lived on the Lowedges in the 60's and 70's. Did you frequent the Grennel Mower, Magpie, Bradway Hotel, White Hart etc. Did you go to the youth club at the church on the second shops and later the new youth club ran by a guy called John Fair? Do the names Gus, Haggis, Az, Big Willie, Maltby, Ruddy, Rare'un ring a bell???

i used to babysit at lowedges in the 70's,(73/74ish) .went out with a lad called mick (shaw???) know of a lass called leslie wallage or wallace dad reg drove a lorry/wagon ? knew a 'gus' too, i carved his name on my arm could it be the same one everyone else is speaking of ?:huh:

We moved out to Lowedges (from Walkley) Easter 1968.We lived (me,sister,mum and dad)on Gervase Avenue, No 320

I use to go into the White Swan and also the White Hart in the village.

A couple of my old pals from back then were Mick Brown and Johnny Elliot.

I left in 1973 when I got married but my mum and dad stayed there till the mid 1980's,they then moved to a flat on the Batemoor when my dad retired.

Does anyone remember Stan Oldfield, the Caretaker at Low Edges Junior & Infant Schools on Low Edges Road. He was there for what seemed like forever, up to him retiring in the mid to late 1980s. Lovely bloke was Stan and an accomplished photographer who always had at least a couple of his photos used in The Star calendar every year. Also his replacements, Vin & Maureen (can't remember their surname). They were there until the caretakers job was done away with and the bungalow demolished to make way for Low Edges Close which is the road to the new houses beside the school.

Edited by hagardriley
Typo.

Does anyone remember David and Peter Salvin.

Must be from the sixties.

Yes Dave Salvin is fine and living at Hackenthorpe with is lovely wife. He has 3 nice grown up kids and grand kids. He is now well retired at 73 but doing ok.

I am is younger brother Pete I am now 70 married 52 years to my wife Marlene. We have 9 grand kids and 9 great grand kids. I am still running my steeplejack business but now getting ready to retire after climbing for the last 55 years

Pete Salvin.

---------- Post added 25-06-2016 at 22:24 ----------

Does anyone remember David and Peter Salvin.

Must be from the sixties.

YES Im Pete Salvin, Dave and I are both ok just getting older

---------- Post added 25-06-2016 at 22:32 ----------

Does anyone remember David and Peter Salvin from Lowedges ,I have been trying to contact David for years.

Pete Salvin here my self and Dave are ok

I lived at. Woodseats but my aunt and uncle lived on Lowedges, Gordon and Jean Dyke.