Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

If I remember correctly he worked at Firth Browns, is that the same company?

No they were different companies.He lived near the fire station end.We very often went fishing together.

I didn't live at Low Edges but I went to school with some of the names mentioned on this post.

My first year at senior school in1957 was at the annex of Jordanthorpe Secondary School, this was located in the Old Greenhill County School next to the Church in the village.

One dinner time we were having a kick about in the road by the Church, the ball was one of those half size rubber footballs, one of the lads, young Harold Housley received a pass and hit it on the volley, it went up in the air like a Scud Missile and wedged it's self in a wooden louver window about 50ft up the side of the Church Tower.

I moved back to live in Greenhill 17 years later and the ball was still wedged there in the louver window.

Not heard your name Peter (Salvin ) for over 50 odd years, good to see you have done well for your self, 70year old " still doing a bit" time to throw the towel in me owd luv!!:)

All the best to you all,

Hi I used to live just around the corner from Harold Housley he lived on Lowedgess Road I lived on Gresley Road. There was quite a few lads from there went to the village school. Andrew Steavens. Richard Maltby. Tony Pearson. Stephen Hill who passed away as a very young child. Bob simmonite. Graham Robinson. I dont know how they all are but the were all good lads.

I lived on Becket Road and remember Chris Bullen and his sister Amanda very well. He stayed at his grandmas house across the road next door to Dereck Spooner.

Hi Chris!

Hi I used to live just around the corner from Harold Housley he lived on Lowedgess Road I lived on Gresley Road. There was quite a few lads from there went to the village school. Andrew Steavens. Richard Maltby. Tony Pearson. Stephen Hill who passed away as a very young child. Bob simmonite. Graham Robinson. I dont know how they all are but the were all good lads.

Hello Peter, I recognise most of those names, Played rugby against Tony Pearson in the 4th year, "he was a bit good" he brought me down with one of those bone crushing tackles, he gave me a so you think you're tough do ya, smile.

Andrew Stevens loaned me his running spikes when I competed in the School sports day javelin competition.

I seem to remember some one getting knocked out with a shot put one sports lesson, can't recall who it was though.

I still have the odd stroll through the estate down to the park, it brings back some fond memories of mushrooming with my dad in the fields before the estate was built, and playing in the stream(tippy dyke) at the bottom of the fields. Then when the estate was being built, getting a telling of from the watchman for climbing on the scaffolding.

Had my first ever snog behind the Magpie with a Low Edges Girl.

My uncle and aunt lived on Atlantic Road, Gordon and Jean Dyke, I went to Jordanthorpe in the 60s.

hi

we are seeking what was life like on lowedges as a child,youth,young mum ect,for SCC   to be placed in there archives ,this is paid for by the heritage lottery and syfunders,who have paid researchers to put down on paper what life was like and then put them in there archives to be read ect in years to come,before lost in time,all info to go to sally rodgers at heeleyheritage@gmail.com or pm me,bet theres some intresting tales,whats yours?put it here and in lowedges history forever thanks

did you live on lowedges in the 50s,60,70s or still live there,put your story of your times there forever,meeting tues april 2nd 10am at the micheal church ,lowedges road or the tennants hall ,gresley road at 11.30am tues april 2nd,we  are doing a history of the estate and all comments will go on show on may 25th at a exhibition at the tennants hall then everything will go to the history archives for future referance,

so please help us and tell us what it was like ,if you cant come email the reasearch team via heeleyheritage@gmail.com     sally rodgers

Hi does anyone remember my nan Emily Cannister and my dad Jimmy Cannister lived on Atlantic road.. be nice t hear if anyone has any memories of them.. 

On 21/06/2006 at 15:44, Johnh said:

Any of you out there lived on the Lowedges in the 60's and 70's. Did you frequent the Grennel Mower, Magpie, Bradway Hotel, White Hart etc. Did you go to the youth club at the church on the second shops and later the new youth club ran by a guy called John Fair? Do the names Gus, Haggis, Az, Big Willie, Maltby, Ruddy, Rare'un ring a bell???

I lived on Gervase avenue from 1953 till 1965 I went to green hill and Jordan Thorpe when it was a girls school also to the green hill church youth club does anybody remember going to these

I remember Pete Thompson and Robo I went to school with Robo and Steve cooper Ann Cooper Mary Bell (ding dong) Lloyd we used to hang around the terminus and play music dance have a laugh  that was in 1960 ish  great memories 

I remember Pete Thompson and Robo I went to school with Robo and Steve cooper Ann Cooper Mary Bell (ding dong) Lloyd we used to hang around the terminus and play music dance have a laugh  that was in 1960 ish  great memories