Wedding Photographers

I got married 3 months ago in a different region and had my photos taken by a company in that region.

I have since found out via a friend that one of my wedding photos has been used on the front cover of a wedding supplement that comes in a regional paper. It came out in December as the friend went home to the region at Christmas and we have only just seen the friend.

My question is: Should the photographer asked us for our permission? Can the photographer do what they like with the pictures?

It's just a bit unnerving to think our picture was out there and also at the sametime it would have been nice to have known as I would have liked a copy of the paper.

Originally posted by thomsongirl

My question is: Should the photographer asked us for our permission? Can the photographer do what they like with the pictures?

If he's a professional, and a member of the (drat, I'll need to dig that out), you'll have signed a contract which should clarify, but basically the photogrpher owns the copyright (usually).

It would have been courtesy to inform you though.

We had ours done by Seamans on London Road (not sure if its still there). Was disconcerted some time later to go past their window on the bus and see large gold framed wedding piccie of me and new hubby prominently displayed in window.

We lived in Dronfield at the time and my bus went past there twice a day, every weekday. The bus always seemed to get stuck in traffic on London Rd too, so inevitably slowed down past the darned shop. Used to bury my face in a newspaper and hope none ofmy fellow passengers gazing through the bus windows would recognise me.

Never took it up with the photographers though - felt it kind of flattering that they used us as advertising. (I was young and naive lol)

msbehavin - I had Seamans photographers too.:D I think I would have considered it flattering too - your 15 mins worth or fame!

thomsongirl - are you sure you didn't have an agreement/contract to supply I remember seeing one when I got married and that is nearly 24 years since. It may just be in the form of an order or invoice - check on the back if you have one of these obviously your photographer didn't explain this possibility very well like Strix says they own the copyright to the photo but really should have informed you out of courtesy.

My girlfriend is a wedding photographer ,while the photographer owns the copyright,permission to reproduce the pictures for other purposes,ie advertising,should always be sought,and a release form signed by the bride and groom is standard practice.

Most couples are happy for her to use their images,but it is up to the couple in question.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. Lots of help and advice. I did fill in an order form, but there wasn't anything on there about these kind of things or even any t&c's really.

Deano - thanks I thought that a release form had to be signed for any images of a person thats used for advertising and stuff.

I will be contacting her about it then, I'm not really that bothered, but as the service hasn't been that great, I kind of feel a bit annoyed about it. I would have given permission for it, I just would have liked to have known where my face is plastered!