PDSA ... is this right?

FairyNormal

BTW- I don't think that they are called vets4pets. I wouldn't like to open them up to any sort of libel when there is a vet practice called vets4pets which doesn't operate in this way.

No Medusa they may not be I did say that I wasn't sure if that was the name its just that it came out of my head, I will try and find the name of them.

You posted as I was typing I have corrected the name of the vets on my original post, sorry for any confusion caused.

She has to be recieving housing or council tax benefit. I must admit this doesn't sound like the PDSA to me. They were very good for my mum with both her dogs and they managed to keep one alive for an extra year on medication.

I hope your friend sorts this out.

The vets in the building rent the rooms out of hours, they are rented by a chain of vets, these people are not the same company in South Yorkshire who used to have their own O-O-O hospital, but are a group of vets who then switched to using the people who rent the rooms.

We took our dog their last week & 1 injection & a look over cost us £125. Their standard OOO consultation fee is £85.

• 2 years later...

Actuallly this story does not surprise me!! I lost faith in the pDsa some years ago when my son and his girlfriend tried to get treatment for their kitten. It took them four visits before they could even get to see a vet and by then the kitten had to be put to sleep. They have so many rules about who they will treat and in the end it all boils down to Housing benefit, If you don't get it they will not help so it would have made no difference if it was PDSA you saw or or how many benefits you recieve if one of them is not housing benefit or Council tax benefit they would not even look at your animal!! Heartless I call it!

A few years ago my cat came staggering home with a very bad leg injury (he had no fur or flesh from the knee to his foot at the front of his back leg) i phoned the out of ours vets now and explained we got housing benefit, i'd never been registered at the pdsa before but they treated him for free and they were very helpful. Maybe my case was a one off??????

it's awful about your friends cat though, this needs to be taken further.

They are Vets Now - but it is the out of hours service used by Vets 4 Pets.

I found them awful when i went there when our cat had been hit by a car, the receptionist didnt give a damn, neither did the vet. I foolishly went there in error not realising my new vet (peaks vets) had their own out of hours.

Sorry to hear what your friend went through, they made a terribly stressful time for me 10 times worse.

Anyone this end of town i always tell to avoid Vets4Pets and their shoddy out of hours providers!

She has to be recieving housing or council tax benefit.

At the risk of wandering off topic, it's possible to receive incapacity benefit but not get housing or council tax benefit. (Meet Exhibit A, my wife...)

I believe that the PDSA offer their services for people on income-related benefits, which IB is not. However I don't know that for certain.

Going back on topic - why do the PDSA allow a high-charging emergency service to use their building at night? ...because the rent they charge that service, helps to subsidise their own low charges the rest of the time.

... so it would have made no difference if it was PDSA you saw or or how many benefits you recieve if one of them is not housing benefit or Council tax benefit they would not even look at your animal!! Heartless I call it!

It's heartless to provide a service for people on low incomes that everyone else can afford to pay for themselves? That's a new take on things.

i used vets now at easter time on the sunday for my guinea pig they charged me £83.00 and gave me a drop of antibotics, you have to pat before they will touch your animal.

but also my parents used them too to have there ageing cat put to sleep, 125.00

if you have animals you pay a high price for your animals welfare when your normal vets arent open.

in an emergency you would pay anything, for your animals health.