Crystal Bar - Carver Street.

mememe

I'll be frank.

this is meant to be some classy bar and the future of Sheffield drinking?

It is the same as everywhere else. Just more expensive,

It isn't a nice bar. It is big and not to bad but hardly classy.

formula. - large bar- get as many people in bar as possible- charge extortionate rates = profit.

Originally posted by Glamazon

i took my mum there for a post Mothers day lunch on wednesday- the food was divine and the srevice was helpful, friendly and prompt. I've only one complaint- why is wine sold only in measures of 250mls- that's half a pint, a third of a bottle and definetly more than the recomended daily unit allowance for a woman. my mum was driving back to manchester afterwards- if she'd had that to drink , she would have rightly been pulled over. I also find that white wine goes far to warm when sold in such quantities. I asked the staff if we could have one glass made into two spritzers which they did with good grace, but I would like to be able to have one glass of wine and not be drunk!

It's the first place I've ever seen that only serves in 250ml! Every place I've ever worked or drunk in serves in 175ml! It seems to defy common sense slightly. I can understand that maybe for ease to serve at 250ml makes it easier on the bar staff (which it does... sometimes!) especially on a busy Friday night. It used be a pain in the ass at the bar I used to work at trying to struggle around trying to find a 175ml glass, and then a 175ml pourer, but that was mainly because there were about 5 175ml glasses for a bar that could fit about 500 people in it!

175ml is ideal for a lunchtime though, a business lunch with a single small glass of wine, or if you're driving home and just want a quick glass of wine, it's the perfect size.

*shrugs*

Went to Crystal last night and think it was the worst attempt at "classy bar" I've ever seen. Me and my boyfriend queued for 20 minutes, which wasn't bad but once I got inside I wished I had spared myself the trouble. The place was rammed full of mostly rowdy lads and silly little girls who feel they have to scream and shout as loud as they can, probably because they are on their weekly binge drink and it's the only excitement of their week. Me and my boyfriend attempted to get to the bar, but we couldn't move as it was shoulder to shoulder. I felt super claustrophobic and it didn't help that I was being letched on by a skinhead with a fake diamond earring who was old enough to be my father.

I'm sorry, but just because the decor is quite tasteful does not mean that this bar is automatically "classy". I'm originally from Bristol and we have had good bars there for years, and to be frank I feel Sheffield just hasn't got the idea at all. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who actually likes to sit down, relax and have a good drink. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody at all. I don't drink in local pubs a great deal but would prefer that to being rammed in in Crystal surrounded by silly little kids.

We went there too last night and yes I agree it was rammed and a bit claustrophobic at times - but I'd expect that in most places on a saturday night. When I went last week it was £10.50 for 2 (large) glasses of wine which I found a bit expensive - last night I was driving so decided to have a lime and soda - it was..........................20p!!!!! I had a tenner at the ready as I expected it to be about 2 quid or summat like that, could have knocked me down with a feather when he said 20 pence. Couldn't complain at that price whether the place was rammed or not!

Incidentally the door staff were def checking ID and stuff on the door which I found reassuring and responsible.

Liz

xxx

I visited Crystal on a Saturday and had been eagerly awaiting to be surprised, unfortunately I wasn't, I was rather disappointed about it actually, spent most of my visit looking at the exterior wall freezing my bottom off, only for the bouncer to infuriate me further by randomly letting girls queue jumb if eyelashes were fluttered in a certain manner, once I entered the bar I was impressed buy the decor but unfortunately it was spoilt by the amount of people they had let in, it didn't get much better when I eventually got to the bar and I got serviced 20 mins later, buy this time I was angry, frustrating from getting pushed about, so I downed my v.expensive cocktail (which was lovely I might add) and left their lovely establishment....

Please Crystal, don't let as many people in and ruin what could be an amazing place!

Riiiiiiiiiight.... so let me just summarise - people posting on this early expressed their concern about it not being busy enough

people posting later complain it's too busy...

*mental workings*

Result - some people will never be happy.

Cheery bye.

I see your point, but I would much rather drink in a relaxed bar where I can sit and have a chat than one crammed full of chavs. But yeah, I suppose some would disagree so you can't please everyone. I think I just can't stand the fact that Crystal sells itself as this "classy bar" when in fact I wouldn't rate it above the likes of Walkabout, Lloyds etc

Although one of the main reasons for that probably is that the 'classy' people are still just people at the end of the day and are therefore as likely to act like a **** on a friday night as are the rest of us. A city centre bar cannot restrict it clientel based upon a class system, to make a profit the ***** have to be there, behaving like *****, unaware of the fact. The irony is they are probably complaining about other ***** spoiling their evening.

And hence the cycle continues.

IMO, bars/clubs that fail to live up to their intended image is because they always give in to the head count.

Why can't they see that by being selective in the early days may result in lower takings but once the public know it's selective the clientelle they want will start to come in their droves.

So simple to me.

Archived