Sign in to follow this  

Are there any reliable taxi companies in Sheffield?

We've never had a successful taxi booking with Mercury.

Try Phoenix on 234 3333. They've always been very good so far.

I don't know who's good, but I know Mercury aren't.

Several times now, I've tried to order taxis to pick me up from someone's house in the early hours, as it's too far to walk home from. And all you get is "We've got no-one in that area."

Like I give a ***** whether there's anyone in the area! They're a taxi company - it's their job to GET someone in the area. If they tell me I can't have a taxi for 90 minutes because everyone's across town, fair enough. But to refuse me a fare so bluntly is beyond ignorance.

Originally posted by RichD

But to refuse me a fare so bluntly is beyond ignorance.

I don't see why.. There is more than 1 taxi company in Sheffield. Don't just rely on one :roll:

I use ARC and they seem very good, they are on 0114 2476666

I once rang a taxi company and they were polite and asked where I wanted a taxi from and instead of apologising and saying "sorry nothing in that area" she just hung up without saying anything!! i found her rudeness amusing, but not when i had to sprint to get the last bus in heels.

I've never had any problems with Mercury in years. They are the only taxi company in Sheffield that I actually trust not to rip me off with the fare, or go the 'longest' way round!

My sons use Dad's taxi all the time. Very reliable, anywhere, anytime and no charge!

mercury - when their good, their very very good, when their bad they are FAR beyond wicked.

I still use Mercury for my sins, even after vowing never to use them again. The reason that I still use them is because of the ring back along with the fact that I can never remember any other taxi numbers and in addition, better the devil you know!

This being said (and recommendations are noted) if I find another company who offer a call back service and who are reliable I would ditch Mercury immediately.

Mercury have put my back up on several occassions but they have also redeemed themselves with a generally good service, but like I say when their bad their really really bad.

I generally use ACE.

They're not perfect, but generally fairly reliable. Mercury have been dreadful for me.

Ace do call-back btw.

Originally posted by RichD

I don't know who's good, but I know Mercury aren't.

Several times now, I've tried to order taxis to pick me up from someone's house in the early hours, as it's too far to walk home from. And all you get is "We've got no-one in that area."

Like I give a ***** whether there's anyone in the area! They're a taxi company - it's their job to GET someone in the area. If they tell me I can't have a taxi for 90 minutes because everyone's across town, fair enough. But to refuse me a fare so bluntly is beyond ignorance.

So what would you prefer then Rich? For them to tell you that they have got someone in the area, and then not be able to fulfil? At least this way you know where you stand!

Without casting asperions on the reason you were at your friends until the early hours, if you had been drinking, and they could tell, they probably just didn't want your business!

K x

Back when I was at school they used DB Cars, based somewhere on the Wicker, they were crap, most of their drivers were nobs and they usually turned up either late or far too early.