Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

If I may just extend the thread decade, another memory of a resounding Owls' success over Sunderland came just as World War 2 was ending; 25 August 1945 in a Football League North game, Wednesday walloped the Wearsiders 6-3. My late father (Rogers) and Jackie Robinson both bagged hat-tricks. I can't say I saw it as I wasn't even born! :thumbsup:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s140/CHAIRBOY_2007/SWFCTRAINING.jpg

This was post-war training, either lapping round the ground or running up to Beeley Woods!

The photo of Wednesday players training in the snow, they must have just set off, Goalkeeper Dave McIntosh second from left was always miles behind 'tailed off' when I used to watch them train at the Speedway track.

Gerry was probably one of the most dependable players that we ever had, but sadly he (unfairly in my eyes) got the blame for us losing the 66 cup final, when in fact, he ran his blood to water covering for Sam Ellis, who only got into the side because of the injury that Vic Mobley received in the semi at Villa Park against Chelsea.

I always thought it was Sam who took the blame for that owdlad. Sam was a young lad, not very swift footed and really out of his depth. At least one of the Everton goals was due to a misstep on his part. I seem to recall that it was a bit of a surprise that he got the nod to replace Vic but I don't recall what the options were.

I thought the turning point in the game was the fact that Everton's first goal came so quickly after Wednesday's second. It put them right back in the game and the impetus was with Everton with quite a period of time left on which to go to town. It was if you could hear the Toffees saying: "Come on lads, we've got 'em now. We can pull this back."

Had Wednesday been able to go for fifteen minutes with a 2-0 lead, they'd have most likely won but it didn't work out that way.

Nobody erred on purpose, they did their best. They scored two goals when Everton hadn't conceded on the way to Wembley.

Well CHAIRBOY I'm going to pick your brains again. On the anniversary of the Munich air disaster I watched the tv programmes of the event which showed the newsreels of the Manchester United v Wednesday match, and I was surprised to see that Albert Quixall captained Wednesday that night. So I got out my copy of Keith Farnsworth's Wednesday! and looked up the team Ryalls; Martin, Baker; Kay, Swan, O'Donnell; Wilkinson, Quixall,Johnson, Froggatt, Cargill. I presume Don McEvoy was still the official team captain but he was dropped along with Alan Finney, Roy Shiner was out injured. The name Martin vaguely rings a bell but I'm afraid I dont recall Baker and Cargill, have you any information on these three.

Well CHAIRBOY I'm going to pick your brains again. On the anniversary of the Munich air disaster I watched the tv programmes of the event which showed the newsreels of the Manchester United v Wednesday match, and I was surprised to see that Albert Quixall captained Wednesday that night. So I got out my copy of Keith Farnsworth's Wednesday! and looked up the team Ryalls; Martin, Baker; Kay, Swan, O'Donnell; Wilkinson, Quixall,Johnson, Froggatt, Cargill. I presume Don McEvoy was still the official team captain but he was dropped along with Alan Finney, Roy Shiner was out injured. The name Martin vaguely rings a bell but I'm afraid I dont recall Baker and Cargill, have you any information on these three.

This was a match I attended having had a big row at school to leave early - the match was originally scheduled for a Saturday so we already had tickets.

I also saw the footage you did and noted Quixall as captain. I hadn't given the game as much post-match scrutiny as yourself. I wrote it off as a match they were never going to win - Brian Ryalls in goal for one reason!

Finney for example played in all 42 league games that season so I wonder why he wasn't in the line-up on February 19? McEvoy had played what was to be his final Owls' game on Feb 15 before joining Lincoln, the following January.

I genuinely remember Jack (John) Martin and Dave Cargill - born quite near one another really in Dundee and Arbroath respectively. I think Martin was scouted whereas Cargill was signed from Burnley. What I remember about Cargill was his sideburns! He played left winger and made a mere 10 League appearances. Obviously, Cargill was a disappointment.

Jack Martin made 63 League games but moved on in 1962, I think because first, Ron Staniforth (England) and then "Charlie" Johnson were so good.

Peter Baker, I am less familiar with although I must have seen him play. He was a Londoner but not the same player of that name in Nicholson's Spurs' double-winning team of '61.

Wednesday's Baker came to Hillsborough in 1954 and went to QPR in 1961, having made 11 appearances! I guess that was possible on the wages paid then?

Whilst looking up Baker, I came across the name Ballagher, who came from Dukinfield - same club as Derek Wilkinson - but not so effective. Ballagher made three appearances and I recall his being rather frail as a good puff would blow him over.

Interesting points SSB. I was very annoyed by this sway towards Manchester United and made my debut at Wembley that year, very much a Bolton supporter. Although, our tickets came from the Bolton chief scout, George Hunt, who had once graced the Wednesday shirt in the 40's.

I have just been speaking at length with Ralph O'Donnell and he clearly remembers the Man U game and also the players in question.

Peter Johnson ( Charlie) came from Rotherham and Ralph can't remember whether he actually came as a front player or a fullback. However he did play well up front. I can only remember him as a reliable defender along with Don Megson and all.

Peter Baker was also a full Back. Ralph remembers your Dad Chairboy.

Well, Well, Well, all these posts and I cannot see one mention of Jackie Sewell or the hard man, forgot his first name but I think it was xxxxxx Henry, came from Bury I think

Memories of Jackie Sewell, recently there was a programme on the tv comparing the 1957 cup final Aston Villa v Manchester United with the 2007 cup final Chelsea v Manchester United and it featured Jackie Sewell,Jimmy Dugdale and Peter McParland Aston Villa reminiscing on the game. Great telly, watch the challenge by McParland on Uniteds goalie Ray Wood and you will understand what a hard game it was then. I can't remember the name of the programme, can someone tell us and can we get it on dvd.

I have just been speaking at length with Ralph O'Donnell and he clearly remembers the Man U game and also the players in question.

Peter Johnson ( Charlie) came from Rotherham and Ralph can't remember whether he actually came as a front player or a fullback. However he did play well up front. I can only remember him as a reliable defender along with Don Megson and all.

Peter Baker was also a full Back. Ralph remembers your Dad Chairboy.

Yes Peter Baker was a full-back which is why I was at pains to point out, it was not the same one as in: Brown, BAKER, Henry, Blanchflower....

I think Pete Johnson was deemed to be an emergency centre-forward. Later players such as John Hickton and Warhurst proved very successful up-front when moved up from defence. Warhurst and (his agent) became an exception and more contemporaneous with player power and dictating! The others, and add Johnny Quinn and Gerry Young, were excellent utility and "club at heart" players - who played where asked, were grateful to do so and always gave of their best. Roy McLaren and Ralph O'Donnell had their opportunities restricted by being understudies to Springett and Swan but rendered great service and dependability when they stepped into the breach.

Memories of the greatest match of all time Sheffield Wednesday 5 Manchester united 4. Being the one who lived nearest to the Wednesday ground it was my job to get ten tickets for the match for myself, and nine other mad wednesdayite workmates. This was done, ten tickets for the back row of the cantilever stand. So on a glorious summers day I witnessed the greatest game ever played, but now I couldn't tell you how the goals were engineered or scored. I know who scored them and I can see Megson's dissallowed goal screaming in, but of the goals i've got total amnesia. Along with Megson's dissallowed goal two other things are ingrained in my mind about that day. Firstly my voice packing up after about eighty minutes and secondly after the final whistle seeing the dad of one of my workmates who was about fifteen rows below us standing on his seat waving his scarf and hat and shouting up to us WHEEAH EFFIN GREAT! WHEEAH EFFIN GREAT!.

Memories of the greatest match of all time Sheffield Wednesday 5 Manchester united 4. Being the one who lived nearest to the Wednesday ground it was my job to get ten tickets for the match for myself, and nine other mad wednesdayite workmates. This was done, ten tickets for the back row of the cantilever stand. So on a glorious summers day I witnessed the greatest game ever played, but now I couldn't tell you how the goals were engineered or scored. I know who scored them and I can see Megson's dissallowed goal screaming in, but of the goals i've got total amnesia. Along with Megson's dissallowed goal two other things are ingrained in my mind about that day. Firstly my voice packing up after about eighty minutes and secondly after the final whistle seeing the dad of one of my workmates who was about fifteen rows below us standing on his seat waving his scarf and hat and shouting up to us WHEEAH EFFIN GREAT! WHEEAH EFFIN GREAT!.

31 August 1968. Sorry, can't help. "A glorious summer's day" - most likely playing cricket!

Well, Well, Well, all these posts and I cannot see one mention of Jackie Sewell or the hard man, forgot his first name but I think it was xxxxxx Henry, came from Bury I think

I remember the great Jackie Sewell playing for Wednesday but his last game was on the 26th November 1955 which is not in the 60's.

Memories of Jackie Sewell, recently there was a programme on the tv comparing the 1957 cup final Aston Villa v Manchester United with the 2007 cup final Chelsea v Manchester United and it featured Jackie Sewell,Jimmy Dugdale and Peter McParland Aston Villa reminiscing on the game. Great telly, watch the challenge by McParland on Uniteds goalie Ray Wood and you will understand what a hard game it was then. I can't remember the name of the programme, can someone tell us and can we get it on dvd.

In December 2007, BBC Four screened a documentary, "A Game of Two Eras", which compared the 1957 final with its 2007 counterpart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/programme.shtml?day=today&service_id=4544&filename=20071213/20071213_2100_4544_5273_60