Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

pele.jpg

That is the Santos team.

Sorry about it being lopsided but I have supposed to have rotated it in photobucket.

It throws up a question about the Owls' team. As Billy Griffin scored the first Wednesday goal, who in that line-up didn't play?

Not got a clue.

It throws up a question about the Owls' team. As Billy Griffin scored the first Wednesday goal, who in that line-up didn't play?

Got it! Griffin played instead of Fantham.

I've turned up the 10p programme of the second match on Wednesday February 23 1972 K.O. 2.30 Referee Gordon Hill (Leicester).

The Owls team as in programme: Grummitt, Rodrigues, Clements, Pugh, Holsgrove, Prophett, Sinclair, Tommy Craig, Joicey, Prendergast, Sissons.

SANTOS - Cejas, Carlos Alberto, Rildo, Ramos Delgado, Joel, Djalma Dias, Mondel Maria, Clodoaldo, Edu, Pele (10), Abel.

Eric Taylor remembering the '62 game, in particular the penalty.

"Pele who had produced the most fantastic display of ball artistry I've ever seen, did the fox-trot, a two-step and a tango as he stepped up to the ball. He then stopped dead and sent Ron Springett the wrong way. No goalkeeper in the world could have saved that penalty and the crowd went wild with delight. Yes, what a night. I hope we see the like again today."

I don't think we did?

That has sorted that out then.:thumbsup:

loth as I am to take issue with anything the great Eric Taylor said, from my position on the Kop I am sure that Springett didn't actually move, having decided he wasn't going to look a mug even for the great man Pele. Wonderful times at S6 then, and if Peter Johnson was playing today he would be worth millions. Thanks for the picture Kidorry, you are a mine of information !!

Redfern Froggatt played from 1942-62. Keith Duncan Ellis, from Handsworth and former pupil of the boys' Central Technical School, made his league debut in 1955. Ellis was spotted whilst working as an engineering draughtsman at Edgar Allen.

I recall Ellis being nicknamed 'Lino' because he was somewhat limited on the floor but he scored 52 league goals in 102 games - how they could do with that now?

Ellis's chances became limited after Buckingham replaced Catterick.

There was a dispute as Buckingham proclaimed "all professional footballers are thick" to which Keith begged to differ having an HNC in mechanical engineering and having served in the RAF. Sadly, his defence seemed to have rattled Buckingham as Keith claimed he was given very little chance to shine, thereafter.

There was something of the players of that time. Their pay was crumbs in comparison to today but they were only too delighted to play for their LOCAL club - also a rarity these days.

Keith Ellis served Wednesday admirably and as well as in the 7-2 at Old Trafford, he also scored a hat-trick against Birmingham.

The last time I spoke to Keith was at Red Froggatt's funeral and he told me he was running a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate. A very pleasant and INTELLIGENT man and a loyal man to the cause.

I remember Redfern Frogatt and even though he was coming to the end of his career he was still a good player, and if memory serves he played centre forward or inside left. I was a schoolboy back then and I remember the adults fondly called him Ticker, for what reason I don't know, perhaps someone could put me wise. Keith Ellis was one of the finest headers of a football I have seen, pity he had two left feet, probably missed more sitters than any other Wednesday player, but still fondly remembered, as is another centre forward of that era Roy Shiner my fathers favourite player. Roy was not the best centre forward in the world but he always gave one hundred per cent.

Yes, I recall Red Froggatt being referred to as "Ticker", a nickname that was also given to Ronnie Boyce at West Ham. I guess - they made their sides "Tick", being the pulse of the team with their unbounding energies.

Playing with one club for 20 years, virtually unheard of today - a magnificent servant to Sheffield Wednesday.

Roy Shiner came from the Isle of Wight and is also sadly no longer with us.

Keith Ellis - I spoke to him at Red's funeral (almost four years ago) and he was running a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate.

Yes, I recall Red Froggatt being referred to as "Ticker", a nickname that was also given to Ronnie Boyce at West Ham. I guess - they made their sides "Tick", being the pulse of the team with their unbounding energies.

Playing with one club for 20 years, virtually unheard of today - a magnificent servant to Sheffield Wednesday.

Roy Shiner came from the Isle of Wight and is also sadly no longer with us.

Keith Ellis - I spoke to him at Red's funeral (almost four years ago) and he was running a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate.

I got to know Red well when with Derek's ex Wednesday for charity team. A true Gent and an extremely nice guy. He was not a bad player at 40 plus either. I unfortunately never met Keith Ellis but the memories of that Wednesday team will always stay.

Geoff

Memories of Albert Broadbent, Sheffield Wednesday v Newcastle United. night match late fifties or early sixties. Ronnie Simpson Newcastle's Scottish international goalkeeper is having a blinder, it seems one of those nights for Wednesday they'll never score. Broadbent receives the ball on the left wing on the half way line, runs a couple of yards into Newcastle's half and unleashes a thunderbolt that Simpson never see's never mind stops,WHAT A GOAL.