Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

My dad first took me to see Wednesday in the 1950s (his favourite was a '40s player called Jackie Robinson) so have fond memories of some of those players. Sorry to read about the death of Norman Curtis earlier this year. Anyone remember Norman? I was 14 in 1960 and Ron Springett was my favourite. Wednesday had a couple of good wingers in Wilkinson and Finney but it was a pity they did not have a good centre forward in that early sixties team. Saw the Spurs match when we won 2.1 - great game. I was on the cop and the fog made it difficult to see what was happening at the other end. I have great memories of that team but also of the early 1990s team when I travelled home and away with my two daughters to see Wednesday. Let's hope better times return

Chairboy, I'm afraid I'll have to agree with alby here. Ellis did score a reasonable number of goals, and some in key games. He was a big lad and used his head a lot. But, that was in the days before the word striker had been invented. Long crosses from the wings to the CF, who was supposed to take the lion's share of the goals. So he did his job, but in a side with such excellent players, he seemed to me to be the weak spot. I always thought Ellis was poor on his feet and I remember in those days complaining that we needed a good all around CF. When Catterick wanted to sign one, the Board wouldn't let him do it and the rest as they say is history. But all that said, when I look at the plight of the current team, we didn't know how lucky we were. In fact, a grafter like Keith wouldn't go amiss. Up the Owls.

I was never a Brian Woodall fan, but I thought he was more of a fixture in the Wednesday side than the statistics say in the simonj link. Twenty two appearances and three as sub, with six goals in three years, if my mathematics are correct. so I thought I'd mention his finest hour, the cup tie against Leeds United at Leeds 1968/69 season. I saw Wednesday get a creditable 1-1 draw at home but feared the worst for the replay. I was on afternoons for the replay but we kept getting updates, and all us Wednesdayite's were ecstatic (our shop and shift being about 85% Wednesday) when we heard the final score 3-1 to Wednesday, Woodall two and Ritchie. Brian Woodall perhaps for the only time in his Wednesday career being the hero. Typically Wednesday lost in the next round to second division Birmingham City. ONLY WEDNESDAY.

Probably not the best area to try this, but I've tried "Sheffield Football" section with out much joy. I collect 3rd party/representative games at Hillsborough, and I'm looking for the following;

45-46 Birmingham V Derby FA Semi

46-47 Sheffield V Eindhoven Inter City

47-48 Derby V Manchester United FA Semi

48-49 Wolves V Manchester United FA Semi

48-49 Sheffield V Eindhoven Inter City

49-50 Sheffield FC V Wimbledon Amateur Cup R2

50-51 Hallam V Stocksbridge CC Final

50-51 Sheff Wed A V Farsley Celtic Yorks Lge Cup Final

51-52 Gateshead V Stockport FA1 R2

51-52 Newcastle V Blackburn FA Semi

51-52 Lancs League V Northern Int. Lge Inter League

51-52 Denaby United V Stocksbridge CC Final

52-53 Worksop V Beighton Miners Welfare CC Final

52-53 Hallam V Dulwich Hamlet Amateur Cup R2

53-54 Leicester V Preston FA6 R2

54-55 Doncaster V Aston Villa FA4 R3

58-59 Bishop Auckland V Pegasus Amateur Cup R2 R2

59-60 Hallam V Crook Town Amateur Cup R2

62-63 FA Colts V S.Yorks Amateur Lge Representative

63-64 Scunthorpe V Stoke LC2 R2

64-65 England V Wales Schoolboy Int

Any help/assistance really appreciated

Jim:thumbsup:

I posted this message on the Football site, got some feedback, but have not yet quite nailed it down. Since it does involve a Wednesday team of the 60s, it's also relevant to this site. Anyone out there, Blades or Owls fan, able to give me any info? The probability is that the scorer was Derek Pace, but needs verifying. Also when did he score in the game? Was it in extra time?

Date: Sat Sep 16 1961. Blades v Owls at Bramall Lane.

Result: Blades 1-0.

I went to this game but I don't remember much about it. Does anyone else? Who scored and when? What were the team line ups? It's for a writing project I'm doing. Thanks.

Edited by soft ayperth

I remeber the sad day Harry Catterick left to manage Everton and shortly afterwards signed Tony Kay for the Toffees.

The team I remember was.

Ron Springett

Peter Johnson

Don Megson

Tony Kay

Peter Swan

Gerry young

Derick Wilkinson

Keith Elliss

Johnny Fantham

Johnny Quin

Now that was a team cliff lad.

They even used to wear "sensible shirts, shorts, socks and boots" in them days AND play soccer with a real football.

Not like these modern day professional nancies!!!

Now that was a team cliff lad.
Edited by dropout
Edited by OP

no-one has mentioned the game between Wednesday and Man U I think it was a boxing day game,Iplayed most Saturdays so didn't see a lot of games but this was a clasic Wednesday evetually winning 5-4 it would have been 5-0 to Wednesday if a certainGeorge Best hadn't been playing.Every time he got the ball there was a gasp and then silence from the Wednesday crowd.despite his brilliance we still won what I remeber as a real clasic.

Chairboy, Lucky you seeing the Blades win at Arsenal 1971. Uniteds' start to the season was phenomenal. Newly promoted they started with a 3-1 win over Southampton and then went on to beat the 3 previous Division 1 champions, Everton, Leeds and Arsenal. They were unbeaten and top of the league until october when they played Man Utd at Old Trafford. A certain George Best who Ted Hemsley was playing out of the game scored in the 75th minute. I believe Harris took Hemsley off and put Gil Reece ( a winger) on. We lost 2-0.

My father took me to Wednesday v West Ham and I couldn't believe it when the kop threw loads of oranges at Springett.

I remember seeing Santos with Pele playing i think it might have been (The Inter Cities Fairs cup)A night match Santos played in all white and won 4-2.Will not see the likes of that again.Unless Bill Gates buys the club!!!!

Santos played at Hillsborough twice, once in 62 with Pele, and an afternoon match in 72, again with Pele.

The 62 game was around the same time as the Inter City Fairs games (Roma,Barcelona) but was only a friendly. Santos often toured the world playing friendly games to generate income for their players.

I know the 72 game was an afternoon game due to the power strikes at the time.

Got programmes for both.:thumbsup:

Jim

Was a regular at Hillsboro from 1951.Last game watched was in late 60's when the Owls beat Man Utd 5-4.

Some idiot threw snooker balls from back of kop onto pitch at halftime.

Remember thinking if one of those hits you, no more matches anyway,so stopped going.