Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

I was at elland rd when bobby craig made his debut, He inspirerd the owls to a 3-1 victory, The next few games Wednesday had wins over Arsenal, Chelsea and then thrashed West Ham at Hillsbourgh, He was a great little footballer, I wish the owls had somebody like him now.

This is a cracking thread, thank god that the mods haven't moved it to the football section, where it would have been trashed and closed long ago. I loved my football in those days, six shillings and sixpence for a seat in the uncovered seats on the south stand, those were the days. :D

I was at elland rd when bobby craig made his debut, He inspirerd the owls to a 3-1 victory, The next few games Wednesday had wins over Arsenal, Chelsea and then thrashed West Ham at Hillsbourgh, He was a great little footballer, I wish the owls had somebody like him now.

A great player with a good record. Nearly 1 goal in every 3 games from what is now considered a midfield player. This is better than our so called present day strikers.

Wednesday Playing Record

LEAGUE FA CUP EUROPE TOTAL

Season Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals

1959-1960 24 9 5 2 0 0 29 11

1960-1961 37 12 2 0 0 0 39 12

1961-1962 23 4 4 1 4 0 31 5

Total 84 25 11 3 4 0 99 28

Santos played at Hillsborough twice, once in 62 with Pele, and an afternoon match in 72, again with Pele.

The 62 game was around the same time as the Inter City Fairs games (Roma,Barcelona) but was only a friendly. Santos often toured the world playing friendly games to generate income for their players.

I know the 72 game was an afternoon game due to the power strikes at the time.

Got programmes for both.:thumbsup:

Jim

Didn't the Roma game turn a bit nasty. I think it was one of the first times cushions were thrown from the stand in disgust at the Ref sending an Owls player off. Maybe Bronco, but I could be well out ?

My late husbands brother-in-law was Peter Swann and I remember going to most home games until about 1969.

Didn't the Roma game turn a bit nasty. I think it was one of the first times cushions were thrown from the stand in disgust at the Ref sending an Owls player off. Maybe Bronco, but I could be well out ?

The Roma game turned very nasty!

The Roma player Francisco Lojacono was sent off after a running battle with Tony Kay,who later described the Italians as gangsters.

Apparently the return game in Italy was even worse.

Bronco was sent off in a game against Aston Villa,after an incident with the Villa player Jimmy Mc Ewan.

A bit before the 60's, possibly even as far back as the late 40's.

Been given a couple of postcards and looking for more info on them.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/surfinjim/scan0005.jpg

and

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/surfinjim/scan0004.jpg

In the first picture, I think its Norman Curtis on the right. No idea on the other 2, or indeed the players in photo 2, although it could be Arsenal as the opposition.

Any help appreciated.

Jim

A bit before the 60's, possibly even as far back as the late 40's.

Been given a couple of postcards and looking for more info on them.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/surfinjim/scan0005.jpg

and

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/surfinjim/scan0004.jpg

In the first picture, I think its Norman Curtis on the right. No idea on the other 2, or indeed the players in photo 2, although it could be Arsenal as the opposition.

Any help appreciated.

Jim

I think the Owls player in picture 2 is Jackie Sewell. Brilliant inside forward signed from Notts County.

I remember suffering watching the 1966 Cup Final. I worked in Barclays Bank, Hillsborough 1960-62. In the lunch hour I'd often walk up Langsett Rd to a park opposite which was a cafe run by Bronco Lane. We'd sometimes call in for a coffee and there, hunched over the juke box would be Bronco, Peter Swan and Tony Kaye no doubt discussing tactics for the coming Saturday match.

I remember seeing Derek Dooley play at Hillsborough around 1952. R.I.P.

"tactics" :D:D:D

I think in picture 1 the player in the centre is George Davies and the one on right as we look is Norman Curtis.

The one on the left as we look is Vick? Kenny. He played right back.

The 2nd picture is indeed Jackie Sewell ,British record buy from Notts County.How things have changed. later transferred to Aston Villa.

Edited by S A C
adding information

The one on the left as we look is Vick? Kenny. He played right back.[/quote

Vick Kenny was my friend, he was killed about 3 years ago, he was knocked down by a van outside wilkinsons in town.

He played for wednesday in the fifties.

Edited by alex3659