Sign in to follow this  

Stray Dogs in Sheffield - Akitas

Just reported a stray Akita roaming round Hillsborough area.

I have seen this dog fairly regularly with it's owner waiting at a nearby bus stop, where it had always been on a lead and this morning it is taking a gentle stroll up towards my sons school.

No I wasn't approaching it to take it in! So now with the dog warden service not openeing until 9am they may not find it to bring it and may end up miles away by the time they get someone out there?

Can anyone tell me what I could have done to get this dog picked up sooner. If it had been any other breed I wouldn't be so concerned but obviously our Akitas have a reputation and not a very good one at that.

For Crowefan, I am wondering if this is the same dog that has been attacking others in hillsborough park. it is quite fluffy and is a creamy grey colour with a black face.

Moon

Try ringing the local nick Moon, they might be interested, seeing as it's classed as a dangerous breed......there again maybe not :(

The police will have a better chance of raising the dog warden than any old bod. Given the problems in Hillsborough recently, they should take an interest.

Your post was ages ago now, Moon. Any further news?

nope heard nothing.

Considering whether or not to open my mouth the next time I see the owner at bus stop with said dog.

Never thought of the police really...just thought ooo dog warden. and oh quick get away from the dog.

Moon

Depends. I'd be miffed if somebody had seen my dog wandering the streets and just let him be. If the dog has been injured on it's travels the owner may not take kindly to 'I saw your dog....'

Unless you see him with the dog, of course ;)

Don't forget they have a 'Houdini' reputation, so it's likely that this dog has foiled it's owner's best efforts to contain him.

Originally posted by Strix

Don't forget they have a 'Houdini' reputation, so it's likely that this dog has foiled it's owner's best efforts to contain him.

How very true, I nicknamed Akira, the akita I looked after, Houdini as he was always on the look out for a way to duck out of the garden. At his owners house I resurrected a garden fence and Akira sat and watched me drilling and hammering whilst safely tied to the washing line post. When the fence was up and i released him he carefully made his way along it testing it for weak points by grabbing hold of the uprights and tugging!!!

Akita's are highly intelligent and as long as it's been trained and isn't injured they shouldn't be a problem near people in fact their attitude is one of almost 'nose in the air distain' and they will avoid any human they see, a dog usually sends out clear signals if it doesn't like you so I'd say Akita's are no more dangerous than plenty of other breeds.

At the moment you can take a stray dog to a police station, but I think they stop doing this in April. Then it's only the dog warden who will save you!