Old cinemas of sheffield

The adelphi and there was one further down from it the name escapes me at the moment but they were great with boxes just like the theatre.

Red

I remember the old Classic of 1960 this shot don't look familier tho?????:o

The Ritz on Wordsworth Avenue oh what memories. The doorman used to dress in a red uniform and if he didn,t think you was the right age for the film that was showing he would refuse to let you in. He was in charge!!. My sister took me to see " Old mother Riley", l was frightened to death and she had to take me back home, she wasn't best please and gave me a few nips and clouts.

I remember the old Classic of 1960 this shot don't look familier tho?????:o

Maybe this one is more like it..:) Some of us are old enough to remember it as the News Theatre..:(

The adelphi and there was one further down from it the name escapes me at the moment but they were great with boxes just like the theatre.

Red

There was The Globe, same side as Delphi and then the Pavillion on opposite side.. I think they both had boxes :huh: but can't be sure.

My grandma worked at Adelphi for 21 years, took the tickets as you went in and then sold the ice creams during interval.

It was very embarressing taking boyfriends there cos she used to stand at the end of the row, flashing her torch at me and shouting, "Joan...Joan.....do you want choc ices or lollies?" :roll:.......Bless :love:

Maybe this one is more like it..:) Some of us are old enough to remember it as the News Theatre..:(

Say these are good shots but I don't remember the Classic as being dead on the corner...thought it was like the older shot here. The Bells rings a bell (LOL).

I worked at the Sleep Shop which was right next door...any shots of this place anywhere?

In fact a shot of the full parade there would be handy...anyone? :love::love::love:

Say these are good shots but I don't remember the Classic as being dead on the corner...thought it was like the older shot here. The Bells rings a bell (LOL).
The Classic wasn't on the corner - it just looks like this in the photo as the building to the left of it (the old Barclays Bank) had been demolished in the early 1970s and nothing yet built in its place. This photo shows the old bank building next to the Classic.

I worked at the Sleep Shop which was right next door...any shots of this place anywhere? In fact a shot of the full parade there would be handy...anyone? :love: :love::love:

This photo (click on Zoom to enlarge) shows the Barclays Bank - Classic - Bell Hotel - Sleep Shop sequence. Here's another view.

The Classic closed in 1982, and the empty building was gutted by a fire in 1984. This revealed the old façade under the modern "fascia".

The Classic wasn't on the corner - it just looks like this in the photo as the building to the left of it (the old Barclays Bank) had been demolished in the early 1970s and nothing yet built in its place. This photo shows the old bank building next to the Classic.

This photo (click on Zoom to enlarge) shows the Barclays Bank - Classic - Bell Hotel - Sleep Shop sequence. Here's another view.

The Classic closed in 1982, and the empty building was gutted by a fire in 1984. This revealed the old façade under the modern "fascia".

Say thanks here buddy.....errie looking at a bit of mi past life like this kiddo! :confused:

There used to be a cinema in West Bar which I think was opposite the fire station

Abbeydale Picture House must have been one of the best in it's day.

It was the equal of the Gaumont and Cinema House for luxury and comfort in the 1940s/50s when I knew it.

Built to attract the wealthy residents of Nether Edge, Millhouses, Dore and Abbey Lane etc.