Old cinemas of sheffield

Can anyone remember the old Cinema that used to be in Woodhouse. It was still there (derlict) about 38 years ago in the village before the precinct was built.

does anyone remember the Union on Union street. I went to see The King and I there in the 50's, Yule Brinner was the King of Siam I think the female star was Audrey Hepburn

No, not Audrey Hepburn - Deborah Kerr.

Late 50s/ 60s used to go to flicks on park st south (i think), at the end of Granville st, it was really run down but you could get in to see the "A" certificate films and we were'nt even 16 "WOW". Heady stuff in those days.

I remember one of the gang falling asleep during the film, we left him there when it ended, he did'nt get home untill very and he was not best pleased.

Hmm! Seem to recall we had a fight the next day, happy days.

The Odeon is now the Kingdom nightclub......the ABC is now a Travel Inn. WIMPY bars...there were TWO in SHeffield City Centre, one was on Fargate and became Burger King after a few other changes, the other was at the top of the Moor going towards the Peace Gardens....not sure which shop front it was but it was a big place that went back for quite a bit with a huge long counter. Very popular.......it was on the right hand side lookinn down the Moor before Debenhams.....maybe somewhere near that second hand electrical/musical junk shop place which has been there for years and years.

The original Odeon was what is now Mecca Bingo in Flat Street. A marvellous cinema.

did anybody ever visit the studio 7 cinema on the wicker and how about the classic cinema in fiztallan square what were the others called the abc was one of them the gaumont,oden does anybody know where the oden once stood and can anybody remember abbeydale cinema or the heeley cinema and can anybody tell me where they all once stood now that sheffield as changed beyond recognistion. can anybody remember where the whimpy cafe's use to be in sheffield you watch someone will come out with the statement there was know whimpy cafes in sheffield but oh yes there was in the 60's and early part of the 70's infact if you walk just up from boots the chemist on your way to W H Smiths you would have passed one where I think is the game shop now stands can anybody remember the sarsaparilla shop on abbeydale road it was near abbeydale cinema when I was a kid and I use to go swimming at heeley baths the one place we would head for was the sarsaparilla shop when we came out of the baths you could buy the drink in either half pint glasses or pint glasses to look at it you would think it was a very flat stout, I wonder how many other people will remember it.

I remember it well kev (abbeydale cinema), i cried my eyes out there at 'bambi', saw 'chitty chitty bang bang' there just before i started at primary school, it was a monthly treat for me n my brother if we behaved ourselves :P , last time i passed it was Drakes snooker hall :thumbsup:

I must be too young to remember the sarsaparilla shop though, but heeley baths was brill! :)

The cimema was more or less smack-bang beside the railway bridge. it was called the Heeley Picture Palace.

It burnt down, gosh, twenty-odd years ago, now.

The newer building of Ponsfords , with the fancy shmancy bridge linking it to the older shop building is actually on the foundations of the cinema.

PT

The Heeley Palace became a skate boarding venue about two years before if went up in flames.

did anybody ever visit the studio 7 cinema on the wicker and how about the classic cinema in fiztallan square what were the others called the abc was one of them the gaumont,oden does anybody know where the oden once stood and can anybody remember abbeydale cinema or the heeley cinema and can anybody tell me where they all once stood now that sheffield as changed beyond recognistion. can anybody remember where the whimpy cafe's use to be in sheffield you watch someone will come out with the statement there was know whimpy cafes in sheffield but oh yes there was in the 60's and early part of the 70's infact if you walk just up from boots the chemist on your way to W H Smiths you would have passed one where I think is the game shop now stands can anybody remember the sarsaparilla shop on abbeydale road it was near abbeydale cinema when I was a kid and I use to go swimming at heeley baths the one place we would head for was the sarsaparilla shop when we came out of the baths you could buy the drink in either half pint glasses or pint glasses to look at it you would think it was a very flat stout, I wonder how many other people will remember it.

The original Odeon is now Mecca Bingo in lat Street opposite the old GPO.

There was a book published some years ago about the History of all the Sheffield Cinemas You could probably see a copy in the Local Studies Dept of the Central Library

I remember the Capitol in Barnsly Rd. backing into Parson Cross, it was brand new then.Anyone remember the terrible fuss over sunday showings.When I lived in Shiregreen our saturday morning kids show was at the Paragon Firth Park, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Tex Ritter & many more. My first film I remember was Paul Muni in The Good Earth.There were several cinemas at Pitsmoor whos names escape me.All the cinemas showed two programmes during the week, mon. tues. weds, & thur. fri. sat. a seperate programme on sundays.

Great link from (hal9001) but noticed one picture house missing ( I can't recall its name) one we went to walking from windmill lane (shiregreen) in the 40s. It was, as I recall on upwell Street not far from a coking station where you could get in for a jam jar and a penny (I think)..someone from that area will no doubt recall its name. other locals were Sunbeam roxy paragon and capitol

The cinema in Upwell St. was the Victory, at the back it had a billiards room. it was pulled down and turned into a petrol station about 1959/60, I know my dad painted the walls of the garage in 1964. Almost opposite was another cinema called the Regent, I only know of this one because my dad told me about it. I don't know if it is still standing but it was a sort of garage workshop at one time. It was the opposite side of the gennel to The Ball Inn.

We were trying to recall the old cinema houses/there seemd to be one in very commnity.

Paragon Firth Park/Roxy/Sunbeam/Sheffield lane Top?cinema/Pavillion/Globe/Ritz at handsworth/one at Grimesthorpe the list is endless