Old cinemas of sheffield

Who remebers the Classic and The Rex cinemas? I saw Jaws and Doc Savage at the classic and Grease at the Rex.

I can remeber in the Classic the lady selling ice creams, sweets, and cigarettes etc on a tray hooked over her neck then were the days.

I also remeber the Saturday kida matinee at the cinema near Schofileds on Snig hill but can't remember the name

Who remebers the Classic and The Rex cinemas? I saw Jaws and Doc Savage at the classic and Grease at the Rex.

I can remeber in the Classic the lady selling ice creams, sweets, and cigarettes etc on a tray hooked over her neck then were the days.

I also remeber the Saturday kida matinee at the cinema near Schofileds on Snig hill but can't remember the name

The cinema at the side of Schofields was the ABC.

In the late fortys there were some 50 odd cinermas in sheffield

there is a list on this forum i think about 14 months ago you might like to see if you can findit

Capitol Parigon best at my end of town

local bug hut Victory upwell st

best fo courting Darnall cinema double seats on back row

The cinema at the side of Schofields was the ABC.

If I remember correctly the kids cinema on Saturdays was called the ABC Minors, I used to go most Saturdays.

Living near Gleadless Town End, the Rex was one of my two local cinemas that I visited as a child. The other was the Manor. The Rex was always a class above, but then again it was newer.

The Classic Cinema was originally opened as The Electra Palace but that's before my time. I do remember it as The News Theatre and then the Cartoon Cinema. Movietone and Pathe newsreels were shown in the days before TV, along with old comedy films like Laurel & Hardy and cartoons. The programme was shown on a continuous loop so you could go in at any time when it was open and stop as long as you wanted.

there used to be a cinema type thing on Eastern Avenue in Arbourthorne. It was shut down years ago but i can still remember the building from when i was around 5. and im 16 now:]

;5664169']there used to be a cinema type thing on Eastern Avenue in Arbourthorne. It was shut down years ago but i can still remember the building from when i was around 5. and im 16 now:]

Where abouts I lived there in the seventies and can't remember it?

;5664169']there used to be a cinema type thing on Eastern Avenue in Arbourthorne. It was shut down years ago but i can still remember the building from when i was around 5. and im 16 now:]

It was The Carlton. I think it became an electric light bulb manufacturing company before it was demolished.

it became the Omega light company (I dont know what year) but was left derelict for many years