Old cinemas of sheffield

Originally posted by desmitch

It was, as I recall on upwell Street not far from a coking station where you could get in for a jam jar and a penny (I think)..someone from that area will no doubt recall its name.

I believe it was called the 'Victory', - closed 1957.

does anyone remember the rex saturday afternoons

Anyone remember park bug house cinema off duke street near bug house swimming baths, we used to go on sat morning to watch batman and when the baddy came on every one would swear and gob at the screen, it was 2 bob to get in but if it was an X and you were under 12 it was 4 bob, many a time i got an iced jubbly at the back of the head or a slopdosh bomb, it was a riot, then you would go to the bug house baths and you could guarantee there would be a "King richard" floating about.

O what joyus days

Nostalgis an't what it was

Yes, greybeard, my Bro had confirmed that it was indeed called The (Vic) Victory or bughut

I remember many years ago, walking down from Weston Park, toward Infirmary Road and passing a cinema called the Weston. After frequenting luxurious places like the Roscoe, I was suprised to see a place even smaller and, dare I say it, more deserving of the title 'bughut'. I can't recall ever seeing it listed on the inside page of the 'Star', with all the rest of the cinemas and theatres. So what was the history of it?

Originally posted by Texas

I remember many years ago, walking down from Weston Park, toward Infirmary Road and passing a cinema called the Weston. After frequenting luxurious places like the Roscoe, I was suprised to see a place even smaller and, dare I say it, more deserving of the title 'bughut'. I can't recall ever seeing it listed on the inside page of the 'Star', with all the rest of the cinemas and theatres. So what was the history of it?

the weston was , like many flea-pits christened " Bug' ut!"

my father, when he was courting my mother, convinced her that the weston took all their seets out, weekly, and scrubbed them down! lol

If i remember my parents' / grandparents' tales, right, the weston had the smallest rise, from the stalls to the balcony in history! it was just one step!

PT

Originally posted by Elyndys

It's interesting, but I've just been up to Holmfirth Picturedrome to see a film (Ladies in Lavender, in fact) and the place was *packed*! It's a proper old picture-house, and the building is, I imagine, pretty much unchanged, but now they have a little bar at the back so you can have a pint while you watch the film! Other cities and towns have small cinemas - Leeds has two, and they show lots of arthouse-y things at at least one of them; even Penistone has a cinema. I definitely think that some of the old cinemas in Sheffield would be a success if they re-opened. I think Abbeydale is the nicest building out of the ones I've seen (thanks for the link, Hal9001!), but the location probably isn't the best for success in this day and age. Which do people think would be the best option, to re-open?

Yes I've been to the one at Penistone, it's like going back in time.

Originally posted by Texas

So what was the history of it?

Opened 1914 closed 1957.

1957 was a bad year for Bug Huts :D

OK, admit it, who remembers going to Studio 7 down the Wicker in the 60s?

Black and white French films on Friday night, shows used to start about 11o'clock.

Gang of mates, pi**ed out of your skull, great days.

Hi coyleys, used to go to that picture house on Duke St. on Saturday mornings.

It was called Norfolk Picture House and you got in for think it was 6d. Two black and white films, one of 'em was always a cowboy.

Park Pictures was down South Street, behind Park Hill Flats.

Was regular at Park Baths as well.

I've asked this on another link somewhere, but where exactly was the Unity? I guess it was somewhere on Langsett Road but I can't just picture it.

does anyone remember the Union on Union street. I went to see The King and I there in the 50's, Yule Brinner was the King of Siam I think the female star was Audrey Hepburn

I think it was the 'Palace' on Union Street , is'nt it there anymore? I saw the same film.