Vets Now - Prices stopping people using vets?

Yes it is illegal to charge for a prescription and I believe, also, they cannot refuse to write a prescription if you request one.

They cannot refuse to write you a prescription for you to go elsewhere if they would have been able to provide you with the drugs themselves, i.e. the animal must be under their care and the vet must have examined the animal and be certain that the medication is appropriate (or the animal could be on regular medication prescribed by that particular vet), so you can't just walk into a vet having diagnosed a pet yourself and ask for a prescription.

Sorry I'm sure that's obvious to most but thought clarification would be useful.

So true Mary Poppins - Maybe we should start a list of vets that do have their own on call - and the prices they charge - and then list up which vets use VETS NOW.

At least that way - we can start to use the vets that are dedicated to their clients - and not out to let them be ripped off. I say nothing to vets reclaiming their costs - but I do feel this is now beyond a joke with this service.

You are so right Labyrinth - it is time we put our money where our mouths are.

Shulie - your experience is probably the norm at their service - its just a process at most of them. They know that clients wont usually be expecting to pay such high amounts, and so they are prepared for the emotions and the anger from clients under stress. We the clients however, aren't prepared for it all, and so are shocked at the callous attitude. I know I was when i took one.

What about starting a thread called - VETS WHO DO THEIR OWN OUT OF HOURS COVER???? - Obviously - people should be registered with these vets for their normal day time usage - and not just expect to use them for emergencies.

Brilliant idea, I've been with my vets Crookes and Partners Rotherham for over 25 years,

I'm sure if we all protested they would soon do something about it,

clients means money

so if they lost half their patients to another practice

or at least if people were angry enough to tell them they would go else where if they didn't sort it out,

they would soon sit up and take notice.

Most of us do have our pets insured,

but Pets Now want money up front, and has already been pointed out its not even a good service.

I feel very strongly about this as I have had to use them twice

both occasions it has been an experience I dont want to repeat

It worries me now about what would happen if any of mine are ill out of hours

As I have no confidence in the Vets Now what so ever

Well I'm going to say this with hesitation as I don't really want them to get any busier but the Park veterinary hospital I use and my family have used the whole time we have been in Sheffield have always been fantastic, as I mentioned earlier I had heard bad things about VETS NOW a long time ago so checked that mine don't use them. They don't luckily, but if they did I would seriously consider changing vets.

Why doesn't everybody write to their vets explaining the appaulling charges and service which they receive from the VETS NOW out of hours service? Surley if they were fully aware they might consider using a different service? Or at least doing something to get the costs reconsidered. £95 for a consultation and making money out of people in a crisis is greedy and sick, I would love to know what percentage of this £95 the PDSA receive for using the premises.

Vets Now provide an out of hours service, I know that one of the practices I use is already struggling to get enough qualified veterinary surgeons to provide Monday - Saturday cover, without even thinking about out of hours cover.

To partly get over this problem they use either newly qualified vets or vets from abroad. Neither of these are idea solutions for out of hours emergency cover, a newly qualified vet doesn't necessarily have the experience to deal with emergencies, a foreign vet may find communication problems, particularly in an emergency.

Vets Now have seen an opportunity and are making the most of it, sadly to the degradation of some animals, as pet owners cannot afford the fees being charged.

I will continue to avoid Vets Now as long as possible.

They cannot refuse to write you a prescription for you to go elsewhere if they would have been able to provide you with the drugs themselves, i.e. the animal must be under their care and the vet must have examined the animal and be certain that the medication is appropriate (or the animal could be on regular medication prescribed by that particular vet), so you can't just walk into a vet having diagnosed a pet yourself and ask for a prescription.

Sorry I'm sure that's obvious to most but thought clarification would be useful.

Sorry, I forget common sense is no longer common :rolleyes:

My vet, Crookes Rotherham use Vets Now and I am certainly not happy about it. I did think of changing to Maltby vets but paid them a visit and was not impressed by their diagnosis at my consultaion and the prices were a lot more than Crookes too.

So I am stuck with the devil I know. There are a few other vets local to me which dont use vets now:

Hall Court at Dinnington

Wildbore at Worksop.

However I wouldnt touch either of these with a bargpole.:help:

I am happy to sign to petition Crookes if anyone is interested.

Thats what insurance is for!

Our puppy had kidney failure and if we hadnt had insurance it would have cost us over £1,000 for just 3 months of looking after her.

Which vet are you thinking of changing to at Maltby?

I made an appointment to see the vet at Maltby Veterinary Practice, which is next door to Somerfield. There main practice is Balby, Doncaster so it would mean trailing there for surgery and the vet seemed a bit clueless. The out of hours would also mean a trek to Balby so I am back to Crookes.

Yes it is illegal to charge for a prescription and I believe, also, they cannot refuse to write a prescription if you request one.

I have been in this position before, its alright knowing you rights but what can you do when the vet flatly refuses to give a prescription even after I had paid over one hundred pound for treatment.

They know that in most cases its a insurance claim and milk the situation., if I hadn’t been claiming it back I would have taken it further.

I made an appointment to see the vet at Maltby Veterinary Practice, which is next door to Somerfield. There main practice is Balby, Doncaster so it would mean trailing there for surgery and the vet seemed a bit clueless. The out of hours would also mean a trek to Balby so I am back to Crookes.

Ah I know the place, used to use Balby vets and visited Maltby once, little tiny place, or at least it was.

I believe Balby share out of hours with another practice, so you may not see a vet from your own practice.

I use Springfield on Moorgate Rotherham. they were fantastic vets before they changed, they saved my cats life.

The partners have now retired and now we don't know any of the vets, it belongs to 'the Springfield group'. They use Vets now as well. After losing one of our cats earlier this year we have lost confidence in Springfield our only other nearby vet is Crooks, we feel reluctant to change, because they have our remaining cats medical history at Springfield.