March 9th octagon kickboxing show

Jesus, is it that time of the month pal?

I believe the reason that people keep seeing your shows boils down to the fact that they haven't experienced any of a higher standard, so typically don't know any better.

I've been to shows at the O2 Arena and Newcastle Metro Radio Arena (put on by the Ultimate Fighting Championship), to shows at the Harvey Hadden Sports Centre (put on by Cage Warriors), to shows at Doncaster Dome (put on by Ultimate Force), to shows at Virtua Ice at Rotherham (put on by Fight Force) and various other smaller, local shows like Showdown and Farhad's shows.

And I'll still be going to Farhad's shows, regardless of whether the production values struggle to match the UFC's, because the fights are often well worth watching.

I feel a little sorry for anyone who wouldn't go to watch a Scott Sykes or Brent Crawley fight because they only go to shows with slick production values.

If you only went to shows with professional in-ring MCing, music production, lighting, and event management, you wouldn't go to any of the shows in Sheffield, because these things only generally feature at events with massive cash backing and full-time management/promotion.

I've been to shows at the O2 Arena and Newcastle Metro Radio Arena (put on by the Ultimate Fighting Championship), to shows at the Harvey Hadden Sports Centre (put on by Cage Warriors), to shows at Doncaster Dome (put on by Ultimate Force), to shows at Virtua Ice at Rotherham (put on by Fight Force) and various other smaller, local shows like Showdown and Farhad's shows.

And I'll still be going to Farhad's shows, regardless of whether the production values struggle to match the UFC's, because the fights are often well worth watching.

I feel a little sorry for anyone who wouldn't go to watch a Scott Sykes or Brent Crawley fight because they only go to shows with slick production values.

If you only went to shows with professional in-ring MCing, music production, lighting, and event management, you wouldn't go to any of the shows in Sheffield, because these things only generally feature at events with massive cash backing and full-time management/promotion.

Thank you Mr Exile

The above was a post by someone who clearly knows what he is talking about having been to such high profile shows.

Another thing to remember is that Showdown and AFK shows are all about the same level. They are both primarily shows for novices/amateur fighters. For either myself or Hussain to try and sell the shows as "prestigious" events or as "the best" of kickboxing is quite simply a lie.

Ok you are likely to get entertaining fights at all levels and the tenacity of the fights that the novices have will depend largely upon what kind of club they train at.

Example: A novice from a Thaiboxing or an MMA club is likely to have a more aggressive fighting style than a novice from a Lau gar kung fu or Taekwondo club.

Dont like to have to name examples but such is the nature of different martial arts.

Having said that , fighters who have had a Taekwondo or freestyle karate (or to a lesser extent Lau gar) background are possibly much more likely to experiment with the pretty looking high kicks and spinning kicks.

Nine times out of ten i choose to match my fighters against those from the Thaiboxing or MMA type of clubs as opposed to the latter.

Win lose or Draw , at least they will have a good fight and be worthy of the trophy be it a winners one or otherwise.

Sadly MOST of sheffields kickboxing clubs tend to be of "the latter variety" .

AFK is an "Old School" club with old school values. Our shows reflect the same values. We believe in fair play and all the fights are fairly matched.

MOD: Will you all please grow up and stop behaving like children. Anyone ignoring this plea will be banned.

Fighters get changed behind the bar? Oh dear you obviously are not a fighter then :P

The fighters have separate dressing rooms for red and blue corners.

Also the standard of actual fighting (which is what people pay to see) is worth every penny as i often have more people wanting to see the show than i can actually house. Also the fighters who fight on our shows fight their hearts out!

It greatly amuses me that you cannot find anything to criticise other than the venue. If you dont like the shows no one is forcing you to watch them at gunpoint :hihi:

People obviously think that my shows are worth the price of a ticket which is why they keep returning. Next time try and find something to talk about which you are actually qualified to make a statement about. :D

On a lighter note I enjoy your shows Farhad. :thumbsup:

You feel so close to the action you could be in there yourself! (Personally I prefer to be outside the ropes these days) :blush:

All I can say is its horses for courses, with the Chef’s show at least you can get some nice grub & it’s got a great feel to the place. :bigsmile:

I’m just sorry I missed the last one (due to being away on a residential CP course) but I was lucky enough to get a DVD copy of the fights from Safa & I personally thought that it was a quality fight night! :clap:

Fighters get changed behind the bar? Oh dear you obviously are not a fighter then :P

The fighters have separate dressing rooms for red and blue corners.

Also the standard of actual fighting (which is what people pay to see) is worth every penny as i often have more people wanting to see the show than i can actually house. Also the fighters who fight on our shows fight their hearts out!

It greatly amuses me that you cannot find anything to criticise other than the venue. If you dont like the shows no one is forcing you to watch them at gunpoint :hihi:

People obviously think that my shows are worth the price of a ticket which is why they keep returning. Next time try and find something to talk about which you are actually qualified to make a statement about. :D

Can i just ask a few questions everytime ive been to a show at the octagon and if there has been a WAKO or WFKKO title there officials have been there.

When i went to a AFK show and there was a ISKA title but no ISKA officials how does that work?? the judges were merely friends of the promoter??

The wait between fights, the ring announcer?? and the fight matching was a bit suspect if you put a novice in with someone with more experience what do you get a AFK show!!!

Now i have been to both shows and i do not think its fair to compare the shows as the shows at the octagon are another level but some standard should remain i.e officials etc???

Can i just ask a few questions everytime ive been to a show at the octagon and if there has been a WAKO or WFKKO title there officials have been there.

When i went to a AFK show and there was a ISKA title but no ISKA officials how does that work?? the judges were merely friends of the promoter??

The wait between fights, the ring announcer?? and the fight matching was a bit suspect if you put a novice in with someone with more experience what do you get a AFK show!!!

Now i have been to both shows and i do not think its fair to compare the shows as the shows at the octagon are another level but some standard should remain i.e officials etc???

With regard to the officials, the referee in charge of the action was Dave Jackson who actually teaches at the Wolfslair.

Yes thats right the same man who teaches Mike Bisping and Paul Kelly of UFC fame. :D

Dave Jackson has also taught numerous kick and thaiboxing champions such as Warren Brown , Gavin Sterrit and Shaun Johnson among others.

As for the judges, all 3 judges were approved by Paul Hennessey and the Referee. By the way Dave does a lot of judging and refereeing for the ISKA so i think that answers your questions.

With Regards the matching , ALL the fights were correctly matched. That means novices fighting novices. The only 2 fighters who fought more experienced fighters were:

Hannah Shepherd and Peter Day

BOTH of them fought for AFK. BOTH were having their first full contact fight. (well both won as well, but not that you are going to give them any credit for that).

When you say another level, the octagon is a larger prettier venue, but yes you are right, the calibre of the novices fighting on an AFK show is a step above that of those on the Octagon show.

With regard to the officials, the referee in charge of the action was Dave Jackson who actually teaches at the Wolfslair.

Yes thats right the same man who teaches Mike Bisping and Paul Kelly of UFC fame. :D

Dave Jackson has also taught numerous kick and thaiboxing champions such as Warren Brown , Gavin Sterrit and Shaun Johnson among others.

As for the judges, all 3 judges were approved by Paul Hennessey and the Referee. By the way Dave does a lot of judging and refereeing for the ISKA so i think that answers your questions.

With Regards the matching , ALL the fights were correctly matched. That means novices fighting novices. The only 2 fighters who fought more experienced fighters were:

Hannah Shepherd and Peter Day

BOTH of them fought for AFK. BOTH were having their first full contact fight. (well both won as well, but not that you are going to give them any credit for that).

When you say another level, the octagon is a larger prettier venue, but yes you are right, the calibre of the novices fighting on an AFK show is a step above that of those on the Octagon show.

Paul Hennesey so you trying to say that the judges are ISKA officials???

or you was to tight to pay ISKA judges and the fighters???

If AFK fighters are so good why have none fought in a sheffield show apart from at yours, but then all other sheffield clubs have fought at yours??

Why dnt you match some of your fighters up at showdown 5 againts sheffield acdemy of martial arts or Marsdens or KTBF or SDF??? or anyone else?? take them out of there comfort zone farhad

if you want i'll fight you im 70kg but i will drop the weight and we can fight any rules you want

If AFK fighters are so good why have none fought in a sheffield show apart from at yours, but then all other sheffield clubs have fought at yours??

Farhad often posts on here and other places 'looking for available fighters' people who are up for fighting on his show will in turn respond to his messages / phone calls with their weights, ages and experience. How is it Farhad's fault if the other clubs don't

contact his and ask to be matched up? Whatever their reasons i.e. no fighters ready, none up for fighting AFK, etc they don't seem to have responded to his invitations for available fighters.

To be perfectly honest I think that statement is pure 'troll' material based on not fact but purely spite and dislike of Farhad personally on your part. I didn't see a single miss-matched fight on the whole card last show, I actually fought on the show... I was in the dressing rooms and didn't hear a single complaint from a single fighter whether they won or lost about the match making, quite the oppersite infact, most came out saying 'what a fight' and 'I should have...' none said anything along the lines of 'I couldn't have ever won that'.

You know why? Because Farhad takes great, great care in speaking to fighters before even matching them up. With me he had three possible fighters and asked me which one I would prefer, I am sure he asked the others who they would prefer and then he takes this into account weighing up weight, experience and other variables to make the match. It took him just over a week to choose who I was going to fight, which shows a lot of thought went into it. He then contacted me and said I think you are best suited to fight 'Safa' he told me honestly about him (age, experience, style, weight) and said would you like the fight... I could have said yes or no at that point!!!

I feel sorry for your fighters. They endure hard training and preparation only for their glory to be cut short when made to fight in something that doesn't even qualify as a bingo hall.

Again, that is your igronant opinion... which in my opinion is unjust and being a fighter myself I would say don't bother feeling sorry for me...

My sister has watched me fight at a packed out show in Newport with about 1000 people in the crowd in the Newport Centre and she recently came with me to watch this show in Sheffield. She like all my other friends said the atmosphere at this venue was 10 times what it was in Newport, they said they felt they were in the ring with me and it was as loud as watching a premiership football game from where they were standing. Literally, they loved it (looking through the thread they are not the only ones with this opinion and yet you are the only one with yours...)

if you want i'll fight you im 70kg but i will drop the weight and we can fight any rules you want

Seen kickboxer with John Claude Van Damme, where at the end they wrap their hands and cover them in shards of glass?

Those rules were pretty damned cool!!!

I judge at Farhads shows and have done ever since his first show and yes, I am also a good friend of his. I also don't hold a judges qualification but then again, I don't need one. I understand the rules and how the fights should be scored. Common sense, giving unbiased decisions and understanding the rules supercedes merely being a qualified official for an organisation like WAKO IMHO. Very few people who I've judged have complained about my decisions in the past. I don't need a piece of paper to tell me that I'm ok to judge just as I don't need a Phd to prove how intelligent I am.

Ive been reading this thread since it started and feel that prior to march 9th all on the thread were getting on fine but now the show is over the knives come out and the slanging matches start.

Just because some one says they enjoyed the show more than another show certain people start getting on the defensive and attack the showdown-events management and organisers.

Then when the next show comes and goes they shout about not having there fighters on the show, is it any wonder if you continually slate the Octagon show!!

Some people prefer fighting at the octagon whilst some are happy with smaller shows, why cant we accept that and stop this bickering how do you expect to get the respect you deserve when you cant get on with each other.

Some people will say things just to wind others up but just ignore it because if you dont it makes you look stupid.

Immortal,

In Scotts fight the correct procedures within the WAKO rules were followed to a tee.

If you are unsure of the WAKO rules in this situation if you call me personally I will take you through them.

When fighters agree the fights in pre fight meetings, both they and their coaches are reminded of the rules and they are in print at the signing in table.

Therefore in taking the fight they agree to abide by the rules and the judges decision and thats final.

If I take my fighters to someone elses show and the rules are different we read them 1 week before to confirm and finalise, then there are no discrepancies later.

Conclusion: Totaly correct decision by the judges, so yes you were totally correct lets raise our glasse to them!

Whatever you say, Cris :loopy: