Collecting parcels from Royal Mail

Who's had one of those 'while you were out' cards from Royal Mail in the last month?

I've just found one on my doormat when I got in today and it's left me a little confused. The back bit isn't filled out so how do I know where it's gone now? I tried to phone the number but they're too busy to take my call.

So, I'm assuming they didn't leave the parcell somewhere else and it's gone back to Royal Mail but the trouble now is they didn't fill in the box telling me how long to leave it before I go to fetch it. The website just refers to the card so I'm still baffled.

Can anyone help?

Yes I have had them as well if you don't answer the door on the third knock its back to the office they go.

You are supposed to leave it 24hrs before going to collect the item but I went back three seperate times for one particular item it had got waylaid enroute back to the office,

If its the Rotherham sorting ofice make sure you have plenty of time on your hands as the line of people waiting feels like the January sales are on.

Lovely, thanks a lot.

If that's the standard time, how comes it isn't printed on the card instead of leaving a box to be written in?

In my experience most things are back at the depot by 7am the next day.

I think your experience is rare sadly. As a rule, parcels take at least 48 hours to get to the sorting office from the card drop and even then they don't seem to have a logical system for retrieiving them. I shall be joining the queue on Saturday morning, although after reading this I am going to bring a book :suspect:

Not in the case of Hillsborough in December they're not - see my earlier post!

The question is, where does all this post go between leaving my front door and turning up at the office 4 days later?

Not in the case of Hillsborough in December they're not - see my earlier post!

The question is, where does all this post go between leaving my front door and turning up at the office 4 days later?

Ah you see I asked this question. I was told that when the postie finishes his shift, the undeliverable stuff stays in his van overnight in the compound and then it's unloaded the followig day and it takes another 24 hours to make it to the little office where we are allowed to collect our mail from.

Of course that could be incorrect, hopefully a forum postie will correct / confirm / tell me I'm wrong shortly ;)

Ive had a card this morning and is ready to collect from post office in 3 hours

I think your experience is rare sadly. As a rule, parcels take at least 48 hours to get to the sorting office from the card drop and even then they don't seem to have a logical system for retrieiving them. I shall be joining the queue on Saturday morning, although after reading this I am going to bring a book :suspect:

It's really interesting to see the local and regional variations. I'm in south Leicestershire. The postman always writes '2-3 hours' as the amount of time to allow before going to the collection office to pick up the missed parcel. I suppose it depends on the route and where the sorting/collection office is.

I generally pick up the parcels on a Saturday morning. Usually there isn't a queue and I'm in and out within a minute or two.

Aye I had one the other day. The postman did'nt fill in ANY of it at all. Just a blank red slip thing! Luckily I was expecting something otherwise i would have left it as I live in a big house divided into 4 flats. I usually just go the next day to the PO and its fine

Ah but how many of these collections will be the £1.16 charge for a large letter sent on a first class stamp eh :suspect:

A pensioner neighbour of mine trailed all the way to the sorting office to collect what she thought was a parcel, turned out to be a xmas card which cost her the above to collect :roll:

eh? We always go to the sorting office the morning after we've had a card and not had a problem yet- Ecclesall Rd Sorting Office

eh? We always go to the sorting office the morning after we've had a card and not had a problem yet- Ecclesall Rd Sorting Office

I must always live near sorting offices that just don't get their act together then. Ho hum. Can't wait till Saturday :roll: