Sheffield landlords and landladies past

crookesey

Sheffield Landlords and Landladies Past

Whitbread Pubs - Early 70's

1. Minerva.

I was a regular in this pub. Ron was landlord and he spent his time telling customers about his time in the Desert Rats but the dates didn't fit in. He seemed a decent bloke though. His Mrs was called Cath (?) and she spent her time chatting with one particular customer, Daryl (Darrel). There was a nice pinball machine in this pub and when you had played a game you moved to let the next person play and replays won were shared and so everybody was happy. Songs often played on the jukebox were If Not For You - Olivia Newton - John, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - Loan Baez, India Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor.

2. Barley Corn.

Jim and Pat Finch ran this pub that had the air hockey table in it. I have witnessed on a few occasions the puck flying from the table to break beer glasses. This pub had a few ladies of the night as customers, two of them looking almost like twin sisters. They had platinum blonde hair, white furry looking coats and kinky, white boots and one of them was called Josie. Another one I remember was dubbed Cocoa44's. There was also a load of 'ducky's' in this pub, so it was advisable to stand with your back against a wall. Jim and Pat later moved to the Old Harrow on White Lane Gleadless/ Basegreen and they were guddun's. The Jackson 5 were often heard from the jukebox with songs like, ABC and I'll Be There.

3. Albert.

Doug and Beryl Davidson were in charge at this watering hole and they were fantabulous people. Doug was very kind and friendly and also called the male customers brother. I loved the sandwiches in cellophane at the bar but I didn't love the outside bogs. The pinball was named Doozy and it was easy to win replays.

I remember Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin and Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones on the music box.

4. Foresters.

In charge were Bill and Maggie Stewart who were like uncle and auntie to me. They were always polite to everyone and they kept the pub clean and shiny. Maggie always had her white blonde hair stacked up high like a Mr. Whippy ice cream and Bill wore impressive looking gold framed specs. Both were always immaculately clothed. I remember a man called Stan (?) in a short barbers type jacket, collecting glasses and his other duty was to loud throated call last orders and to call time. The Foresters was the pub where I drank my first pint when I was 15 in 1969. When Bill and Maggie finally left the Foresters it was rumoured that they had been caught taking money from customers after time was called. I recall the songs Somethings Burnin' and Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition on the music machine.

5. Raven.

Lol and Madge Flood managed this boozer and I nipped in some dinner times because I worked next door at Neville Watts Ironmongers. I remember they had a gym or boxing ring upstairs. In the long room at dinner time totally on my own it was great to hear loudly coming from the jukebox songs like Bridge Over Troubled Water from Simon and Garfunkel (Carbuncle) and Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell. Not forgetting the whitened spare tyre around the dart board.

I drank Whitbread Trophy in those days and for a change would sometimes imbibe (T) Whitbread (W) Tankard or Forest Brown.

The Sortsman at Hackenthorpe still sells 'Trophy' and it tastes lovely I recommend it.

In those days drinkers got a full pint unlike today. It's like buying a pack of 20 fags and finding only 18 inside. The bitter had the right temperature and not the damned ice-cold stuff served up (or down) today. I also don't drink so called 'Real Ale' because i'm not convinced about the quality of the water.

Nice thread Crookesey.

Used all these boosers Zakes, Remember old Lol Flood at the Raven i think he had one leg and always wore bracers, if i remember right his daughter used to work behind the bar.Also had my first lock in at the Raven,

Dont know if anyones mentioned Frank Dungworth,used to keep the old harrow,grenoside,with his wife Connie,well before the days of the long bar,the pub had various seperate rooms,i used to sit in thier kitchen many a sunday lunch as my dad had a few,occasionally id get sent the odd pint sent through,then as i got to legal age,i became one of his regulars,he kept a great little pub,spent many a nite in there.

After connies tragic death,he ran the place himself,with his sons help......they had the odd row,but nothing to match the nightly goings on in the Angel inn a few yards away!

Old wilf and vera went toe to toe every single night,mind you the entertainment behind the bar was far better than the beer they served mostly,unlike Frank,whose ale was always spot on.

Tony Homyard followed Frank,and oversaw the changes that modernised the arra,bringing it more uptodate,and did an equally sound job of keeping a fine aleshop,although a blade,Tony was a smahing landlord,with his oppo Paddy that kept trouble out.

In charge were Bill and Maggie Stewart who were like uncle and auntie to me. They were always polite to everyone and they kept the pub clean and shiny. Maggie always had her white blonde hair stacked up high like a Mr. Whippy ice cream and Bill wore impressive looking gold framed specs. Both were always immaculately clothed. I remember a man called Stan (?) in a short barbers type jacket, collecting glasses and his other duty was to loud throated call last orders and to call time. The Foresters was the pub where I drank my first pint when I was 15 in 1969. When Bill and Maggie finally left the Foresters it was rumoured that they had been caught taking money from customers after time was called. I recall the songs Somethings Burnin' and Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition on the music machine.

Bill died shortly after selling ale after time, Maggie carried on for a while on her own

Very interesting thread this, but it begs a question, what happened to pubs? These landlords and landladies were pillars of the community, what happened to the industry they thrived in?

I suspect large brewereries got greedier and greedier, forcing rents and therefore prices higher. Also pubs used to shut at 3pm till 5.30. Then Labour brought in 24 hour drinking. People like the ones named on this thread couldnt afford the rents, punters couldnt afford the beer and went of to the supermarkets. Faceless administrators started "managing" pubs with an army of bouncers providing the "welcome".

Now we have drinking "sheds" in the city centre, pubs either closed or closing and very few making a living.

A part of old England is nearly dead we should mourn its passing.

Very interesting thread this, but it begs a question, what happened to pubs? These landlords and landladies were pillars of the community, what happened to the industry they thrived in?

I suspect large brewereries got greedier and greedier, forcing rents and therefore prices higher. Also pubs used to shut at 3pm till 5.30. Then Labour brought in 24 hour drinking. People like the ones named on this thread couldnt afford the rents, punters couldnt afford the beer and went of to the supermarkets. Faceless administrators started "managing" pubs with an army of bouncers providing the "welcome".

Now we have drinking "sheds" in the city centre, pubs either closed or closing and very few making a living.

A part of old England is nearly dead we should mourn its passing.

I suspect you are spot on !!!

Well said Zenia,I like the part about The Drinking Sheds because that is a very good description they are not pubs.

Even though I frequent one I only go in because it is handy for my bus and my friends and myself sit in a little corner which is like a little snug but there is no proper Landlord and Landlady (Poper Mine Hosts) to converse with and no repartee like a good old fashioned pub.