Drake House, Beighton

a lad who went to school with me called robert fox used to live at the farm on drakehouse lane.

And i was a friend of his dad stan fox . We used to play crib in the fox in Beighton. Also Eric Fox who lived on woodhouse terrace was no relation to Stan Fox

Edited by spider1

Hi- I am researching Reignhead Farm in Beighton. Does anyone have ANY information please?

That was another name for chiwali farm. owner Stan Fox.

Edited by spider1

My memories of Drake House Lane are back in the early 60's.

From the School walking down towards Beighton, just over the brow of the hill I remember a row of cottages set back from the road and a little further down was a Bungalow with some large solid steel gates at the front it said Lyngs or lings on the gates. At the side was a wood full of crab apple trees. We called it Lings /Lyngs wood. It was almost impossible to get in for the nettles. But with a big stick and some frantic thrashing it was possible. We used to play for ages in there eating the apples :-( & climbing trees, until the old guy in the bungalow told us to "Bugger Off".

A bit further down was a large house where I think one of the Doctors from Hackenthorpe used to Live. The next buildings after that were the row of houses where Howard (Wyer) used to live.

I find it hard to believe now that my mother let me walk from our house on Delves Avenue all the way to Southall, to go to Beighton Cub Scouts every week, on my own. I must have only been 8 / 10 years old.

I used to go to Howarb Wyers house to buy air gun pellets . Think he had a shop on beighton bottom near Geoge and Dragon pub sold bikes and did accumalators

Try these links: Old Beighton Group on Facebook, lot's of stories, pictures and certainy members of the Fox family contribute to the stories. I was born in Beighton on Woodhouse Lane. I have two sisters, Marilyn and Anne. My name is Ian Williams. Hello to anyone who knows me...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/213495072086300/

http://www.facebook.com/ian.k.williams/posts/362307983883969?comment_id=1804804&ref=notif&notif_t=share_comment#!/groups/213495072086300/

Howard used to have a shop on Main street then he moved onto Hackenthorpe shops then moved back onto Main Street, his shop used to be what is now the carpet shop.

During early 1975 I answered a Star Ad advertising a rucksack for 50 pence [10 bob]. I phoned the number and the vendor happened to live in B8on. I needed the rucksack because I was planning to hitch hike around the world solo, but that's another story. After the deal was done i decided to take another look at Hackenthorpe [i had lived there [1959-65], which i hadn't seen for a year or two. The journey on foot was to take me through Drakehouse.

Lostrider mentioned in Post nr 10 on this thread ; there was a wood at the side of a bungalow with the name Lings/Lyngs on the steel [Wrought iron] gates. He said the wood had lots of crab apple trees and loads of nettles. I too from the early 60's remember this wood [old overgrown orchard], which also had stacks of raspberry and blackberry bushes. I[we] also did similar things as Lostrider and his mates did. The bungalow, cottages and farm were on the right hand side of this hawthorn hedged road going up towards Hackenthorpe. I loved Drakehouse me.

Anyroad, during the 1975 walk at 16:30ish, I came across something in that area I hadn't seen in the early 60's. Near to the crab apple wood[orchard] I saw a few cars parked on the causey edge close to a gap in the tallish hedgerow. The gap was about 8 feet wide and was an entrance to a grassy lane, with some more cars in it. I, being a nosy sod, went up the lane, then heard young male voices and the thudding sound of a caseball being booted about. 50 yards up the beshrubbed lane was a gap on the right, and what did I see?

I saw a full sized football pitch with goalposts and goalnets. On the pitch were two full teams of schoolboys aged about 13 playing a match. There were also a dozen or so adults watching from the near touchline. This wasn't a makeshift togger bash about, but a proper game with each team sporting their colours (I forgot the colours)

My question is: Which school played it's home games upon this pitch?

Chiwali Farm was where Drakehouse retail park is now.

Reinhead farm was opposite the Fox public house it was leased by Harry & Elsie Ellis, my uncle & aunty.

Edited by Mr Focco

Played for Drakehouse celtic in the late 60's on Drakehouse lane in the field above crystal peaks

On 12/07/2011 at 11:15, Lostrider said:

I think this is taken from my Grans window on Woodhouse Avenue. It is looking towards the hill which goes upto Woodhouse past the Recycling yard. The block of houses you can see were on the right hand side of the road heading towards woodhouse and were pulled down to make way for the new road system.

Does anyone have access to photo 6?   Unfortunately the link doesn't seem to work anymore.  My family grew up in the houses which were pulled down.

Or does anyone else have any photos of Cliff Wheel?

On 30/08/2012 at 17:16, spider1 said:

His Son Robert was in my class at junior and infants school, I believe he went on to be the local Bobby.

On 13/03/2022 at 12:24, lildubchick said:

Does anyone have access to photo 6?   Unfortunately the link doesn't seem to work anymore.  My family grew up in the houses which were pulled down.

Or does anyone else have any photos of Cliff Wheel?

You will find it on Old Beighton Facebook group.