Drake House, Beighton

Hi All, regarding Carters Yard, where exactly off High Street was it and when did it cease to exist??

Thanks, Saffy

Hi All, regarding Carters Yard, where exactly off High Street was it and when did it cease to exist??

Thanks, Saffy

Hi,

Off to the left opposite to the driveway to the Church.

Ceased to exist at least 40 years ago.

Hi,

Off to the left opposite to the driveway to the Church.

Ceased to exist at least 40 years ago.

thanks Saff:)

Think I can help on some of this I grew up in beighton

Chiwali farm was the FOX's and yes David is in the police, Next to the Farm was a big house called drakehouse that was built I beleive by Tomlinsons for a retired sea captin called Johnson. Beighton sec mod leaving cert was named after him. (still got mine)

Farms in beighton walkers was I think the one on what is now called Southall Green just up from the swings used to be. The one opposite the FOx pub was elliss's, the one on West st was Walters, opposite the church was Peats farm then Unwins on high st and last but not least there was right next to the school Hardwicks??

Beighton also had at least slaughterhouses Duckitts, then Pursehouse I think the name was bottom of the hill on Queen st and finally one at the top of queens st corner of lime st Slack's??

reignhead farm was what we called elliss's if this helps

And yes Carters yard was off high street next to unwins farm and has said opposite the walkway up to the churm off high st

Think I can help on some of this I grew up in beighton

Chiwali farm was the FOX's and yes David is in the police, Next to the Farm was a big house called drakehouse that was built I beleive by Tomlinsons for a retired sea captin called Johnson. Beighton sec mod leaving cert was named after him. (still got mine)

Farms in beighton walkers was I think the one on what is now called Southall Green just up from the swings used to be. The one opposite the FOx pub was elliss's, the one on West st was Walters, opposite the church was Peats farm then Unwins on high st and last but not least there was right next to the school Hardwicks??

Beighton also had at least slaughterhouses Duckitts, then Pursehouse I think the name was bottom of the hill on Queen st and finally one at the top of queens st corner of lime st Slack's??

You are correct, but my family moved into the farm house until they had to move so that the site was demolished to make way for the road network for the new shopping complex.

My Uncle Earnest Bingham lived at the cottage further up Drakhouse Lane.

Yes Sandie

You did move into chilwali after the Foxs left.

The Fox's were also related to Clarence who had a farm down near the coke ovens

Remember me and David riding on tractor down their as we were related to clarence as well

Anyone remember the shops in beighton at that time

Brints on the bottom, staniforth clock repair, Stallrads bottom Allen rd, Gee's on Manvers rd, Race's also on Manvers rd as was Jones two shops, Matthews Queens rd, Stoerys I think it was top of queens rd.

Jewkes top of manvers rd and Tunes on Robin lane near to clarkes butcher

Hancocks fish shop souter bottom, Una's, Lowes up near the school

going to stop there were more I can remeber but getting boring I think now LOL

[quote=mature5011;5906819

Anyone remember the shops in beighton at that time

Yes, I remember some of the shops you mention. Used to stop at the paper/sweet shop next to the post office (Joe Lowe's?) on the way to school to buy a pennyworth of locusts (sweets still on ration). Little did I know that some 60 years later I would be picking them off the carob tree at the bottom of my garden!

Trying to remember which was the big family of fairground people who used to come to the rec a couple of times a year for Beighton Feast. Was it Harness?

Look forward to any responses. Ta.

Bob Scott, (aka Alistair Scott - but that was too long to register on this site!).

Does anyone remember Jack Lyles wood yard at the bottom of Sothall?

It was next to the newsagents and he used to bring us a lorry load of wood for our bonfire on Allen Road..

Trying to remember which was the big family of fairground people who used to come to the rec a couple of times a year for Beighton Feast. Was it Harness?

Look forward to any responses. Ta.

Bob Scott, (aka Alistair Scott - but that was too long to register on this site!).

It was WHITINGS...I believe

Tuppie

Thanks for reminding me of the name Harry Ellis, he had two girls, the eldist was Margaret, she was in my class. She married a chap called Graham Nettleship from Queens road and they went to live

in a place called Saxalby in Lincolnshire

Regarding the Fox inn, when it was first opened it was kept by a chap called Bill Rylet who moved there from the old Railway inn.

Rylets son is called Lez, He married the daughter of the Sharps family that kept the coaches in southall. Last I heard Lez was living in Spain.

Interesting memories. I went to school with Graham's elder brother Verdun (named after the battle, I guess - he was known universally as 'Verdie'. Presumably also the daughter of the Sharps family you refer to was Jennifer?