Knife Culture

Originally posted by Deejay

Like I've said many times before, I will never understand the reasoning behind carrying knives around in person, what possible use does it serve apart from intent to injure ?

Intent to cut packing tape maybe? Or string?

I usually carry a locking penknife - not because I am stab-mad, but because I frequently require the services of a blade for cutting purposes.

folding knives with a blade of <3" are not covered by existing legislation.

any reasonable use for carrying a knife is sufficient to escape prosecution (or conviction if you didn't convince the copper).

This is being debated on a jiu jitsu website because we use live weapons in training sometimes and wondered if it would affect us as we have to transport the weapons too and from the dojo.

i carry a knife in my pack when rock climbing camping,checked with the police and as its in a rucksack and for a specific purpose its legal but not if worn or carried about my person in public,now i remember a case a while back where a young seik lad had a small one in school ,and the point bieng ,at a certain age it is his sign of approaching manhood,how will the new law effect his culture ?all of this has to be taken into consideration

Originally posted by Deejay

Are Penknifes Illeagal ? I think not :confused:

Could you justify carrying a 4 inch kitchen knife around with you for cutting tape and string ?

I don't know of any knives that are illegal deej. I was just saying that anyone carrying a knife is not necessarily out to injure someone as you suggested.

My blade is 70mm long - long enough to stab someone in the heart, but also the perfect tool for slicing cheese, slitting tape, cutting string and slashing tyres.

So the law at present disregards folding knives with a blade less than 3" long?

1. You can easily stab someone to death with a knife like this - no problem

2. If carrying a larger knife is made an offence in its own right, those with malicious intent will switch from their bowies to their gerber lock knives and thus circumvent the law.

3. A 3" blade is much more easily concealed, even in the palm of the hand - an extra inch or of steel makes no difference to the efficacy of it as a killing tool.

This legislation will need a lot of careful thought to be at all enforceable.

Originall posted by NatalieSheff

what on earth do people carry penknives for?

Cutting things. It used to be pens (quills), but it's amazing what you will find needs cutting when you have a penknife in your pocket.

it is currently the law.

let me dig out the current wording, the only change that is being considered is the sentence.

specific exemptions are already defined in the law, which includes carrying the knife for a specific lawful purpose, carrying it as part of a national costume, or as part of a religous costume.

here we go;

Section 139 Criminal Justice Act 1988

139.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3) This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

(4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

(a) for use at work;

(b) for religious reasons; or

© as part of any national costume.

(6) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) above shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(7) In this section "public place" includes any place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on payment or otherwise.

( 8 ) This section shall not have effect in relation to anything done before it comes into force.

I was always under the impression that the 3" blade thing also included the fact the blade had to be only accessable via using both hands... eg, no flick knifes... so that you could slip it out your pocket, open it and slit someones neck open...

it doesnt say that in what Cyclone posted, or not that I can see...

personally I never have any such object on my person, I have no use for any sort of knife... but I do carry many pens...

in the end isnt it the people that are the problem, not the objects, i could walk around town with a chainsaw, but I'm not going to harm anyone with it, give a murdering psycopath a pencil and I'm sure he could kill loads of people by jamming it into their throats or something :P