"Sorry, I am not in Service", says Mr Bus

I know I am being petty and pedantic but every time I see a First bus with this sign it drives me crazy. Why should a bus use a personal pronoun ( I ) it is not a person, its a thing, OK the driver is a person but he clearly is in service driving the bus. Why not just put "Not in Service" everyone would know what it meant.

Now to make it even worse the Council have started doing the same. The other day I saw a road sweeper ( a kind of giant hoover ) with a sign on it saying "I'm cleaning Sheffield" - no it's not the person using it is cleaning Sheffield.

Feel a lot better now I've got that off my chest!

You've got the wrong end of the stick, old chum. I've lived happily in Sorry I Am Not In Service for the last 5 years. It's a great area with a fantastic bus service - every time i get one there's no one on it. I can sit where i like!

What about the tram to Halfway? What's the point of a tram that only goes half way?

I know I am being petty and pedantic but every time I see a First bus with this sign it drives me crazy. Why should a bus use a personal pronoun ( I ) it is not a person, its a thing, OK the driver is a person but he clearly is in service driving the bus. Why not just put "Not in Service" everyone would know what it meant.

Now to make it even worse the Council have started doing the same. The other day I saw a road sweeper ( a kind of giant hoover ) with a sign on it saying "I'm cleaning Sheffield" - no it's not the person using it is cleaning Sheffield.

You've read my mind. Only this morning I was spitting expletives at the very same thing. It's so American.

:hihi::hihi:

I feel better now that my 'Crap road markings at Moore St roundabout' thread wasn't too petty.:hihi:

I've only only ever seen a bus show 'Sorry not in service'.

I shall take extra care to check whether there is an 'I' in it.:hihi:

As for the 'I'm cleaning Sheffield' hoover vehicle, it would only annoy me if it had a smiley face next to it. this type of thing is what's on my mind:hihi::hihi::help:

I swear once a few years back I saw a bus parked in a depot that had the numbers set to 00 but pulled halfway down so they looked like snoozing eyelids, and the destination board said zzzzzzzz. I have to admit I thought it was rather sweet, and gave the impression that the bus driver had a whimsical and touching sense of humour. Or is that a bad thing? :suspect:

I swear once a few years back I saw a bus parked in a depot that had the numbers set to 00 but pulled halfway down so they looked like snoozing eyelids, and the destination board said zzzzzzzz. I have to admit I thought it was rather sweet, and gave the impression that the bus driver had a whimsical and touching sense of humour. Or is that a bad thing? :suspect:

Bad thing! Bit of a cryptic destination board if the buses destination was here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=snooze&sll=54.162434,-3.647461&sspn=11.906292,29.619141&ie=UTF8&ll=60.951777,15.688477&spn=9.884967,29.619141&z=5&iwloc=C&om=1

That's genius! Sure I've seen this before a good few years back though!

IT always makes me smile and I always think, "wow, a talking bus".

I think getting angry about it is a little over the top.

I always think "why aren't these buses aren't in service"

They have to go along the route anyway to get back to where they came from so why not be "in service" till they get there?

Perhaps that is thinking too logically, especially when you see them sail past the stop grinning at evening work finish time.

I love this, wish more bus drivers had such a sense of humour!

I always think "why aren't these buses aren't in service"

They have to go along the route anyway to get back to where they came from so why not be "in service" till they get there?

Perhaps that is thinking too logically, especially when you see them sail past the stop grinning at evening work finish time.

To be fair, they only follow part of the route back and then turn off towards the bus depot. If they did pick up passengers for the part of the route they did follow, imagine the complaints from people who got told to get off unexpectedly because they'd only looked at the bus number and not the destination.