Chinese Sky Lanterns/Strange lights in the sky megathread

If you actually witnessed it, you wouldn't say that. Everyone that saw those lights tonight will tell you they were too big, too bright, and too high up to be lanterns.

It's not a helicopter. For a start there are 5 lights in my video and I actually saw 7 or 8. Secondly, I live looking out over Tinsley Helidrome so i know what helicopters look like flying at night. There were red flashing plane lights in the sky, completely, distinctly seperate from the objects which ITV are now reporting as meteors. Someone better explain they were just chinese lanterns, lolz.

We saw them too. We had just come out of morrisons at chapletown at around 8pm. I thought at first they were chinese lanterns, but they were in such a straight line, and equally spaced.

Jayne

Were they directly overhead? The lights I saw came in from North/North west, directly above Woodhouse, at 7:35. They couldn't be the same lights could they? Unless they were literally so high up in the stratosphere we could all see them and think they were directly above us?

We had just come out of morrisons at chapletown

I don't think you did, the nearest morrisons to chap is ecclesfield!

Do you mean asda?

Saw low very fast bright light travelling south over heeley bout 8ish. like a shooting star but lower.

chinese lanterns seem to glow all round, what was seen last nite , as they moved past your eye level the light dissapeared

They were behind the few clouds that are in the sky tonight at one point though. For tiny lanterns to be visible like that they'd be a few hundred feet up, tops. Whatever I saw was above the cloud layer, and really, really bright. Like landing lights bright, but orange, like fire. They were also spherical, they had a definite shape, which eliminated possible light reflections off satellites etc. Definitely not chinese lanterns/sky lanterns, anything like that. Scale it up, like hot air balloon size, really high up, moving really fast, really bright, but with no basket as they were directly above my head and there was nothing underneath them.
it says in the description they can get to a mile high and they are quite large.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YuxqHsvwlG0

I filmed them. They're NOT chinese lanterns. Woodhouse area, about 19:35.

Also hearing they saw them in Worksop as well.

Well done for posting the footage, but I'm afraid they are Chinese Lanterns. I saw them being let off every night in Thailand. You see them all the time here now, they do look good though.

chinese lanterns seem to glow all round, what was seen last nite , as they moved past your eye level the light dissapeared

They disapear because the flame burns out.

I can't wait for tommorw when we will get another thread I saw a UFO (Chinese Lantern) thread.