Why won't my washer empty?

Help! my washer won't empty the water is trapped inside , does anyone know what could be wrong with it and how much its likley to be to mend it, and can aanyone on here give me a quote for fixing it please?

Mine did that. It turned out to be a sock trapped in the filter! Luckily my OH sorted it so it didn't cost anything.Sorry I can't help you any more. Good luck with it.

At a guess the pump could be clapped, a blockage or a wire loose. (But I'm no repair guy!!)

If it were mine I would test the pump and look for loose wires.

If you can, move the washer out of the space under the worktop.

(Without doing yourself a mischief please!)

Then carefully unhook the grey waste pipe coming from the back of the washer.

Have a bucket/ bowl ready, and carefully lower the end of the hose to the bowl/ bucket. Be careful to keep hold of the hose. The gravity will syphon the water into the bowl. keep emptying the bowl (duh! lol obviously!) (if you have steps on your kitchen door you could always drain the water off down the steps onto the back garden.)

Hopefully, if you can drain the majority of the water out, the safety catch on the washer-door will deactivate (some catches work with the level of the water to "lock-on", and draining the water releases the catch) and you can at least get your washing out of the machine, rinse and wring it, and it isn't going to moulder, and go all manky, in the water.

it's going to be a bit of a "ball-ache", wringing out the wet washing, but *shrugs* it's better than the alternative!

If the drum isn't turning, it could be the brushes have worn out. Its a very quick and simple job. The parts don't cost much (probably under £10.00), but with call out charges that could push the price up at bit.

Or possibly, before going for PT's solution, twiddling the drain hose to make sure it has no kinks and then running a short spin programme?

When I had a similar problem wiith my washer it transpired that a breeding pair of conger eels had somehow got up the water pipe and into the drum, and their frantic lovemaking was preventing the washer from emptying.

In the end I had to call Nick Beggs Conger Eel Removal (yes, it is the former guitarist from Kajagoogoo) to solve the problem.

Hope that helps!

I've had this happen to me a few times and it has always been caused by the sticky bit from a strapless bra snaring the drainage pump. If that's the case then you'll have to drain the machine manually (Plain Talker's post), then unscrew the pump cover (usually on the bottom of the front of the machine, often behind a kickboard) and pull out all the gunk around the impeller. Put everything back and it'll work normally again. Whee!

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be a pair of split-crotch panties stuck in the outlet pipe.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago, and decided to check the filter, it is a Hoover washer the filter is behind a narrow strip at the bottom of the machine (easily removed) it turned out it was a small cloth item blocking it, the washer worked perfectly after I removed it, I was quite pleased with myself, must have saved my self at least £90 in call out and labour.:)

The same symptoms in my machine were caused by the pump being deaded. It cost £40 including labour for a replacement and it was done in less than an hour.