Tips for a happier bus journey - Bus Passengers Read

Not always true im afraid!

To buy a 1/2 decent car your looking around £2000

Tax £120 per year

Insurance (im 22yrs old) im looking around £500 per year for a 1.0lt and ive never had a crash

Petrol, im guessing around £20 a week for travelling to work and other things...

And the additional cost of parking....

I live in the city centre and i think the current rate for parking a car is around £60-80 per month

Thats £960 per year

A rough guessimate of £2620 just to run my car for a year and thats before ive brought it!!

So no its not always cheaper than £18 a week for a weekly ticket

Which is £936 a year........

fully agree.

my monthly sheffield pass which lets me travel on all buses and trams costs me £67 a month which over twelve months costs me just over £800 out of pocket. much much cheaper then a car. id rather deal with a few mornings running late standing on a bus, then still running late sitting in a car only to sit behind the same bus i would have caught if i didnt drive.

:thumbsup:

fully agree.

my monthly sheffield pass which lets me travel on all buses and trams costs me £67 a month which over twelve months costs me just over £800 out of pocket. much much cheaper then a car. id rather deal with a few mornings running late standing on a bus, then still running late sitting in a car only to sit behind the same bus i would have caught if i didnt drive.

:thumbsup:

... and on some routes the weekly ticket is as little as £5 - less than a day's parking.

Or, £5 a week for 46 weeks a year (assume some holiday/sick) is £230. Leaves some change left over for cabs or hiring a car (?carclub) when you need to go somewhere else.

1) We're advised not to stand up while the bus is moving/approaching a stop.. why isn't this the same when the bus is pulling away?

2) Yes that's what hand rails are for - but what if you are infirm, or carrying heavy or awkward bags?

3) Fair enough if the bus is full.. but why does the driver get off on deciding who to pick up by the looks on their faces?

4) Or ask the driver nicely to turn it off because you can't grip the hand rails when your hands are sweaty..

5) Our family moved 3 times to places with more services, and it's only been up til now that bus services have ever been adequate, so how does that help?

I use public transport because I have no other choice, and I am quite happy with services around Sheffield. I say please when I board, and thank you when I feel I have received an adequate service - but all this is irrelevant if the driver's in one of those moods, you can always tell if he/she is peed off, so how about listening to a consumers suggestion - change of job, perhaps?

I've seen the infirm trying to use transport on the days that the driver's in one of those moods, and it's not a very dignified way of travelling trying to grab a seat while the bus is caining it away from the stop. On the other hand, I did witness a driver get out the cab and help an old lady across Ecclesall road this week, so I'm not completely disillusioned and will continue to rely on buses, why.. because we all just have to get on with it.

HI

Hopefully the following will be a satisfactoy answer

1) we can't wait all day for people to get sat down

2) Yes that's what hand rails are for - but what if you are infirm, or carrying heavy or awkward bags? if you are carrying heavy bags, then carry lighter ones. As for the infirm, passB]

3) Fair enough if the bus is full.. but why does the driver get off on deciding who to pick up by the looks on their faces? WE drive the bus, and as such undesireables are not welcome (ie miserys)

4) Or ask the driver nicely to turn it off because you can't grip the hand rails when your hands are sweaty..When ever we turn off the heating we get complaints

5) Our family moved 3 times to places with more services, and it's only been up til now that bus services have ever been adequate, so how does that help? Good to hear you are happy, but be aware, bus changes may be around the corner, indeed the complaints graph shot up after the last set of changes, and the person responsible recieved a cash bonus for doing and excellent job (the complaints manager)

I hate buses, i hate most busdrivers and i hate the ****ty excuses they give me when the buss doesnt turn up at all and i have to wait another half an hour for another one. This has happened so many times with the 76 that it makes me want to AARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH GRRRRRRRRR :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant: im so angry just talking about it.

I don't get why people use buses at all in Sheffield really, if you can walk then why don't you? I walked from the Red House pub the other night to Heeley, took me 40 minutes, good exercise and I saved money!

I would walk if i could, but unfortunetly my school is exactly 5.6 miles away from my house( i used live map) and there is only one service(if u can call it that)that comes near my house and thats the 76. Which has to be one of the worst bus services ever.

I hate buses, i hate most busdrivers and i hate the ****ty excuses they give me when the buss doesnt turn up at all and i have to wait another half an hour for another one. This has happened so many times with the 76 that it makes me want to AARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH GRRRRRRRRR :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant: im so angry just talking about it.

Not sure what to say, having to wait the extra half hour at a bus stop (sorry :() I suppose looking in the bright side, you got another half hour of fresh air while waiting for the bus, BUT... BUT if the weather was nice....

BONUS :thumbsup: sunglasses on, enjoy the sun

If you want a laugh, then Hillsboro is the place to be (outside Warneck fruit shop).

Some bright spark has designed it so the dozens of buses have to use the same bus stop. This bus stop has room for about 2 buses, so if 5 turn up at the same time theres problems.

Also different people on different routes are packed into one stop.

NOW WAIT FOR IT !!!

As a driver you have to guess, which way the passengers will go, when 2 buses are in the bus pull in lane, and the 3rd bus (the one they want) is approaching, now the passengers generally will panic, and walk areound the back of the 2nd bus.

So you drive to the front of the 1st bus, the passenger have a mad rush to get to the front of the 1st bus......and this is the best but.

YOU DRIVE AWAY.....picking no one up

I work down at the Olive Grove depot (high management) higher than you can imagin. HEADS ARE GOING TO ROLL after reading this .