Unbelievable bus journey - driver has a fight with cyclist!

Rather an eventful bus journey home today - caught the 75 (First) from Pinstone Street at just after 5pm, all progressing smoothly until we got to the junction of London Road and Abbeydale Road. I heard the driver sound his horn about 4 times, then heard the bus door open (I was on the top deck about half way back so couldn't see what was happening) - the driver abandoned the bus in the middle of the road, and then a kid sat towards the front who could see out of the window shouted that "the driver's kicking the **** out of a cyclist"

I believe a passenger rang 999, police cars arrived with sirens, lights etc. - meanwhile the bus is still in the middle of the road totally blocking traffic coming out of town.

Wonder if anyone else on here was on that bus and saw exactly what happened...?

Looks like First bus drivers are the new postal workers eh? Next time someone flips their lid people could say 'Run! He's gone all bus driver on us!'

:roll:

Strange that he bypassed a hatred link though. I thought it went 'buses hate cars, cars hate cyclists'. :suspect:

Rather an eventful bus journey home today - caught the 75 (First) from Pinstone Street at just after 5pm, all progressing smoothly until we got to the junction of London Road and Abbeydale Road. I heard the driver sound his horn about 4 times, then heard the bus door open (I was on the top deck about half way back so couldn't see what was happening) - the driver abandoned the bus in the middle of the road, and then a kid sat towards the front who could see out of the window shouted that "the driver's kicking the **** out of a cyclist"

I believe a passenger rang 999, police cars arrived with sirens, lights etc. - meanwhile the bus is still in the middle of the road totally blocking traffic coming out of town.

Wonder if anyone else on here was on that bus and saw exactly what happened...?

so THAT'S why traffic was massively backed up all the way down London Rd tonight... (we were walking home). As if Sheffield needed this kind of traffic problem!

I know nothing about what happened but i'm automatically tempted to side with the cyclist. I'm an occasional rider, and when I ride in this city Im ULTRA cautious because of the general standard of driving, especially around rush hour.

Bus drivers seem to be a law unto themselves too - as recently as our walk home tonight, the 20a ran straight through the zebra crossing on Eyre St as about 3 of us had 1 foot on it... the tw@t made eye contact with us all too as he nearly knocked us over... maybe his mate further up London Rd had radioed for backup???

Rode past this with another cyclist & wondered what was happening. Bus drivers & cyclists eh? I had 3 cut me up just today. Bus drivers, taxi drivers, blokes parking their cars in the buslane outside Spar & opposite the Broadfield: I wouldn't call them arrogant, ignorant or cavalier. No, I would really. Don't get me started - they should throw the book at him (should he be found guilty in a court of law, that is).

In my experience of bus travel on Abbeydale Road and London Road cyclists often do things that cause the bus driver to have to take action to avoid hitting them. Favourites include trying to overtake the bus as it sets off at traffic lights, appearing in front of the bus from nowhere at traffic lights, pulling out from behind parked cars into the path of the bus, riding alongside the inside of the bus as it pulls into bus stops and so on.... Luckily TM Travel bus drivers seem to be very patient and proffessional!

In my experience of bus travel on Abbeydale Road and London Road cyclists often do things that cause the bus driver to have to take action to avoid hitting them. Favourites include trying to overtake the bus as it sets off at traffic lights, appearing in front of the bus from nowhere at traffic lights, pulling out from behind parked cars into the path of the bus, riding alongside the inside of the bus as it pulls into bus stops and so on.... Luckily TM Travel bus drivers seem to be very patient and proffessional!

Apparently this driver was taking no action to avoid hitting the cyclist, in fact just the opposite.

No cyclists, nor any other road user, can appear from nowhere.

Cyclists are for the most part expected to stay in the inside lane, it befalls the bus driver to check that it is safe to move closer to the kerb side before doing so.

Yes, you're right about some cyclists - they shame their wheels. But some of us are brilliant road users & get cut up regularly by some of our double decker friends despite our perfect road etiquette (positivity, the lot). Equally, some drivers are lovely & I would gladly do odd jobs for them. But the ones that are dangerous are a lot bigger than us, and we die much more easily in a grudge match!