Middlewood Tavern

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

18-12-2015, 09:33   #21
hyper

Total Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
I imagine your post may be tongue in cheek, but you do have a valid point. Some "parents" enter these establishments and give their crumb catchers free range to roam all over screaming and wailing, most off putting when you are trying to have some snap.

Angel1.
If its set up as a family pub, then go somewhere else - somewhere where kids aren't allowed.
Do you go to the park on a warm summer's day when you want peace and solitude and complain about kids?
18-12-2015, 10:23   #22
Cyclone

Total Posts: 68,901
Is the new owner going to comply with the planning board order and restore the field next to the tavern, or does that bit of land right next to the Tavern not belong to it?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...1997ba829eb46d

Certainly looks like it's attached, and the work that was started (over a year ago, maybe 2) was without PP and was subject to an enforcement order to restore it to it's original state. (There was even a thread about it).
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
18-12-2015, 11:04   #23
geared

Total Posts: 12,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by choogling View Post
didn't know you needed planning to turn a once viable building into a wreck that will never open again.
They had started a fair amount of ground work up there not long ago, then SCC caught wind and issued a order against it.

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 10:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Is the new owner going to comply with the planning board order and restore the field next to the tavern, or does that bit of land right next to the Tavern not belong to it?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...1997ba829eb46d

Certainly looks like it's attached, and the work that was started (over a year ago, maybe 2) was without PP and was subject to an enforcement order to restore it to it's original state. (There was even a thread about it).
The planning order was against the owners of the Tavern IIRC
18-12-2015, 11:50   #24
Cyclone

And Nico is now the new owner, so doesn't it apply to him?
_______
21-12-2015, 16:55   #25
Olive

Total Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Day View Post
Guy who owns Harios owns about half of Hillsborough - and as someone said he ought to sort the eyesore at the bottom of Wadsley Lane first which has been in a derelict state for about 4 years.
I thought it was looking like that had been tidied up a bit as of late. Maybe that's wishful thinking though. What's the story here? It's been a derelict site for as long as I've known the area.
21-12-2015, 22:30   #26
Penistone999

Total Posts: 8,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjon View Post
Why go in them then?? Unless you like watching kids or something, there are plenty of other establishments around that don't allow kids.
A lot of my old haunts turned into "Family" pubs , so i stopped going in and found some quiet alehouses .

Its a shame some boozers think they have to resort to allowing kids in .

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 21:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
I thought it was looking like that had been tidied up a bit as of late. Maybe that's wishful thinking though. What's the story here? It's been a derelict site for as long as I've known the area.
If the planners are being Unhelpful , then you quite often find developers will quite happily sit on the land and leave it derelict until more "friendly" planners can be persuaded to look favourably at their plans , if you know what i mean.
22-12-2015, 10:44   #27
hyper

Total Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penistone999 View Post
A lot of my old haunts turned into "Family" pubs , so i stopped going in and found some quiet alehouses .

the money in pubs is in selling pop, crisps and meals.
The ones selling 2 halves all evening to old boys have had to shut.

Ask them what element of their profit arises from families and subsidise the pub with that amount. You could then continue to drink at your old haunts
22-12-2015, 10:50   #28
Cyclone

Quote:

You understand that this one is currently closed right?
Not open to anyone.
Quote:

If the planners are being Unhelpful , then you quite often find developers will quite happily sit on the land and leave it derelict until more "friendly" planners can be persuaded to look favourably at their plans , if you know what i mean.
Whoever these "builders" were, they started excavation work on greenbelt land without PP.
They are subject to an enforcement order to restore the field to it's previous state.
_______
22-12-2015, 13:05   #29
Olive

Quote:

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 21:35 ----------

Were they wanting to turn the site into yet another take away? (Just to be clear, I'm talking about the hole in the ground at the bottom of Wadsley Lane.)
28-12-2015, 22:25   #30
local music

Total Posts: 24
It use to be a great pub 40 odd years ago
24-09-2016, 09:11   #31
cab2650

Total Posts: 8
Does anyone know what's happening with the Middlewood Tavern?

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 09:12 ----------

Every time I drive past it looks as if work is being carried out but nothing ever changes
30-08-2017, 14:47   #32
Chazndave

Total Posts: 1,134
Whats happening with it?
01-09-2017, 19:27   #33
drummer54as

Total Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazndave View Post
Whats happening with it?
https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.u...=NUVDDQNYFY000
01-09-2017, 23:31   #34
Olive

Work looks to have started again on the Hario's place on the corner of Middlewood Road, opposite Asda. But that place has been shut up for AGES now. They gutted it (couple of years ago?), then it all stopped, then a sign went up to say it would be opening again in May.......it's still an empty shell. Seems to be a pattern here.
02-09-2017, 16:23   #35
chris101

Total Posts: 598
Yeah he was opening a food takeaway on Middlewood Road sign been in window for over a year now.
02-09-2017, 22:04   #36
makapaka

Total Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
I imagine your post may be tongue in cheek, but you do have a valid point. Some "parents" enter these establishments and give their crumb catchers free range to roam all over screaming and wailing, most off putting when you are trying to have some snap.

Angel1.
You were a child once you know.

I very rarely see kids screaming and wailing in pubs - I'm not saying it has never happened but don't pretend it's rife cos it's not.
Reply To Topic