Eye test and driving

I have just had my eyes tested, usual +1.75 prescription for reading - +1 also for long farsightedness.

I was told this was borderline for driving.

I was quite surprised as I have never noticed anything. Is this an issue for all older drivers(age 56) or is it rare?

It does scare me to need glasses for driving, is that just a tactic to make you buy a pair from them?

I can read number plates from much more than the 20m stated in the Highway code. I will test myself further.

The highway code is the bare minimum really, but even that and an eye test deal with reading in good light. Low light or bad weather conditions could be much worse.

If you're worried you could always seek a second opinion, or maybe talk to the police?

Eyesight deterioration in older age is normal. If an optician says it is borderline then it probably is. The DVLA medical standards department would be the best option to find out more, or a doctor that performs DVLA medical.

From https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules:

Standards of vision for driving

You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test.

From https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules:

Standards of vision for driving

You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test.

If an older person has a crash the police can test them at the roadside by making them read a car number plate. If they read it incorrectly it's an immediate ban.

I have just had my eyes tested, usual +1.75 prescription for reading - +1 also for long farsightedness.

I was quite surprised as I have never noticed anything. Is this an issue for all older drivers(age 56) or is it rare?

It does scare me to need glasses for driving, is that just a tactic to make you buy a pair from them?

I can read number plates from much more than the 20m stated in the Highway code. I will test myself further.

The problem is that you do not notice the gradual deterioration, it is only when you have them tested it becomes apparent.

As you get older (55 onwards), you eye-sight may well change due to your lens becoming less flexible and the muscles that focus the lens become weaker. It is not just drivers that suffer but the best eyesight is vital if you are driving. Of course there are some that do not suffer. It is always a good idea to have regular eye tests as other potential problems can be detected (and corrected/cured) before they become major problems,

All the best, just think of all those groovy specs you can get :cool:

The problem is that you do not notice the gradual deterioration, it is only when you have them tested it becomes apparent.

As you get older (55 onwards), you eye-sight may well change due to your lens becoming less flexible and the muscles that focus the lens become weaker. It is not just drivers that suffer but the best eyesight is vital if you are driving. Of course there are some that do not suffer. It is always a good idea to have regular eye tests as other potential problems can be detected (and corrected/cured) before they become major problems,

All the best, just think of all those groovy specs you can get :cool:

Good post ! And some opticians like Specsavers look behind the eye with a special machine to detect eye problems like Glaucoma.

Before I developed major eye problems I was told by my optometrist that I was borderline, and that meant she did not have to report it to the Ministry of Transport and the information would not be encrypted on my license. I was about 60 ish, I think, at the time. However, the criteria may be a little different in the UK.

If an older person has a crash the police can test them at the roadside by making them read a car number plate. If they read it incorrectly it's an immediate ban.

That seems unlikely, I don't think that the police have the power to ban someone from driving.

That seems unlikely, I don't think that the police have the power to ban someone from driving.

You are right, only the courts can impose a ban, but the police can suspend your license and take your keys off you for 12 hours if you have been drinking, even if under the limit. Maybe they can also do this after a failed eye test, that is perhaps what the poster means. Mind you, I am stating what happens in Canada, could be different in the UK.

The optician at Specsavers confirmed that this is true.

My long sightedness is Sph +1.00 and 6/5-2, in my left eye.

I havnt a clue what this means; whether I am a mile off being too bad for driving.

I have Googled, but the subject seems complicated, to me.