IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

12-04-2017, 17:45   #41
Puggie
Account Closed

Total Posts: 777
All it does is create displacement amongst the most vulnerable.

It does nothing to address the wider social issue I mentioned earlier.
12-04-2017, 18:11   #42
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
If it's a genuine beggar they will appreciate a coffee and a sandwich. If they just want money they are generally not homeless!

Problem is that coffee and a sarni will not buy them drugs or ale.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
12-04-2017, 18:30   #43
lesserthan1

Total Posts: 228
It's just laziness for most of them and they need sorting out asap as they seem to be ruling the streets these days.

How many people don't want to go to work but have to, probably drink too much or take drugs to get by and have some form of mental health issue but just get on with it? If my work is anything to go on, quite a few.

People need to stop making doing nothing but drink on the streets more lucrative than work, then we'll see something happen.

So it's no sympathy from me for at least 90% of the tramps in town.
12-04-2017, 18:40   #44
Mister M

Total Posts: 10,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesserthan1 View Post
It's just laziness for most of them and they need sorting out asap as they seem to be ruling the streets these days.

How many people don't want to go to work but have to, probably drink too much or take drugs to get by and have some form of mental health issue but just get on with it? If my work is anything to go on, quite a few.

People need to stop making doing nothing but drink on the streets more lucrative than work, then we'll see something happen.

So it's no sympathy from me for at least 90% of the tramps in town.
I don't dispute your claim that there are a lot of people who self medicate to help them function so they can go to work.
I'm not sure how you could make drinking alcohol while sitting on the pavement in all weathers any worse than it is. I just think for many of them, they wouldn't be able to cope with the demands of work....I think it's sad when life reduces you to begging on the streets....I'm sure when they were younger, many of them wouldn't have chosen to do it.
_______
Up yer bum
12-04-2017, 19:35   #45
JNewton69

Total Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
There is a guy who begs outside the Co-op in Crookes. We have offered him food and a shower if he wanted to come to our house, which he declined. I have since heard that he has somewhere to live and can't keep pretending to us that he is homeless. He looks sheepish these days. My daughter has seen him with a dog in a different persona begging in the city centre. It seems that it must be profitable as he is making a living out of it. I can think of better ways of earning money than sitting on a concrete floor reading a novel.
He's very innovative taking on such risks in the hope of profit. I'm going to shake his hand the next time I see him because we've been told to doff our caps to these entrepreneurial types over the last thirty years or so.
12-04-2017, 22:37   #46
Operationpig

Total Posts: 74
I was talking the a local businessman today who has a shop on West Street, he told me that one begger claimed to have earned 300 quid on new years Eve.
Another time someone got their food order wrong so rather then chucking it in the bin he went out to offer it someone on the street and the begger said to him could he give him money instead!...thankfully he didn't.
12-04-2017, 23:08   #47
Puggie
Account Closed

Total Posts: 777
It's disappointing that so many comments on here are demeaning towards those who find themselves on the street.

You've got to remember that addiction is very personal and many are unable to talk about it openly, not least in a society that continues to demonise and criminalise drug addiction.
12-04-2017, 23:44   #48
hackey lad

Total Posts: 4,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggie View Post
It's disappointing that so many comments on here are demeaning towards those who find themselves on the street.

You've got to remember that addiction is very personal and many are unable to talk about it openly, not least in a society that continues to demonise and criminalise drug addiction.
I think most of the comments on here are not about the homeless , but about the people who are pretending to be homeless to get money for drugs/drink , but you will come up for an excuse for that
13-04-2017, 00:35   #49
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 76,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey lad View Post
I think most of the comments on here are not about the homeless , but about the people who are pretending to be homeless to get money for drugs/drink , but you will come up for an excuse for that
I agree. My friend bought a beggar a sandwich and drink instead of giving him money. He threw it casually over his shoulder and the look of disappointment on his face said it all.!
_______
I Dont Mind Having A Bad Reputation --As Long As Ive Had The Pleasure Of Earning It.
13-04-2017, 07:55   #50
Eccy Beach

Total Posts: 271
In a previous job I went out at 6am every Thursday morning with PCSOs and workers from Turning Point's rough sleeper service to have a chat with rough sleepers and see if they could be helped.

Things may have changed due to economic downturn, government policy, council cuts etc but I can say with a degree of certainty that 4 years ago if a rough sleeper wanted help Turning Point, The Archer Project and others could get them off the street fairly quickly.

Point being, most of the folk asking for money in city centre, aren't homeless, although that doesn't mean they're not without issues. Unfortunately there are some for whom it is at best a lifestyle and at worst a profession.

If you want to help, as I'm sure has been said on here many times, give the money to one of the local charities.
13-04-2017, 08:02   #51
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,494
It's a real tragedy that people in our mainly affluent country have nowhere to live. Before I worked in a housing job I was niaive enough to think that if they were given somewhere to live all would be well. However I've witnessed the failure of tenancies, even when there has been decent support, for all sorts of reasons, including alcohol and drugs.

I'd rather support the Archer Project or Bens Centre than give to someone on the street. I haven't bought the Big Issue for years, although I used to. Times have changed, and it's sadly impossible to know who is genuine and who is playing on the good will and/or guilt of ordinary people.

The last person I gave money to was a young woman outside Tesco opposite the Cathedral. I also suggested she could get help from the Archer, but she was very derogatory about the project and from what I could understand she'd been banned from it.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha
13-04-2017, 09:03   #52
dutch

Total Posts: 4,354
I knew someone who was such a mess he didn't function in society any longer. You could give him a place to live and a little money but he was all messed up. He ended up committing suicide.
There were people who wanted to help him in all sorts of ways but it simply didn't work.
13-04-2017, 09:25   #53
Olive

Total Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Macbeth View Post
It's a real tragedy that people in our mainly affluent country have nowhere to live. Before I worked in a housing job I was niaive enough to think that if they were given somewhere to live all would be well. However I've witnessed the failure of tenancies, even when there has been decent support, for all sorts of reasons, including alcohol and drugs.

I'd rather support the Archer Project or Bens Centre than give to someone on the street. I haven't bought the Big Issue for years, although I used to. Times have changed, and it's sadly impossible to know who is genuine and who is playing on the good will and/or guilt of ordinary people.

The last person I gave money to was a young woman outside Tesco opposite the Cathedral. I also suggested she could get help from the Archer, but she was very derogatory about the project and from what I could understand she'd been banned from it.
It seems that something has happened recently. I've noticed a marked increase in the number of down and outs around the area I work in (University/Hallamshire Hospital area). Maybe they've been moved on from somewhere else?
There's a lad whose patch is outside the Sainsburys near the tram stop. The other morning he was asleep on the pavement, right in the midle of rush hour, dozens of people walking past. Lord knows how you sleep in those circumstances. All you could see was a sleeping bag with a hat poking out of it. Tragic.
13-04-2017, 09:40   #54
Fudbeer

Total Posts: 3,738
The problem has defiantly got worse over the last few months.

Visiting town on Sunday evening you are now constantly asked for change around the Division street area.

Most are pleasant but have seen a few be quite aggressive.
13-04-2017, 11:29   #55
Anna B

Total Posts: 11,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
It seems that something has happened recently. I've noticed a marked increase in the number of down and outs around the area I work in (University/Hallamshire Hospital area). Maybe they've been moved on from somewhere else?
There's a lad whose patch is outside the Sainsburys near the tram stop. The other morning he was asleep on the pavement, right in the midle of rush hour, dozens of people walking past. Lord knows how you sleep in those circumstances. All you could see was a sleeping bag with a hat poking out of it. Tragic.
Well, I suppose you could use drugs or alcohol.....

The point I'm making is that substances such as these remove people from an unbearable reality.

I wonder how many of them are on drugs because they're on the streets, rather than being on the streets because of drugs. I think we shouldn't be too quick to judge until we've experienced being lost and homeless.

Last edited by Anna B; 13-04-2017 at 11:32.
13-04-2017, 11:32   #56
Andy1976

Total Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudbeer View Post
The problem has defiantly got worse over the last few months.

Visiting town on Sunday evening you are now constantly asked for change around the Division street area.

Most are pleasant but have seen a few be quite aggressive.
A chap this morning (I would say he 'looked homeless' but that's not ideal) was wandering down West St at 9am and tried to punch three random people for no reason.

Not pleasant for those going to work, but equally, he must have some demons I'm sure.

For comedy value though, I went to the cash machine, and was asked for change by someone. When I pointed out I had no change, she told me she takes notes. I'm sure you do love! Here, have a 20 note!
13-04-2017, 11:37   #57
Anna B

Total Posts: 11,603
I think we seem to be going through an epidemic of mental illness, and when I look at the world, I'm not surprised.

There's little or no help out there, with long waiting lists at best. And even when there is, there's no magic wand that can make everything alright.
13-04-2017, 11:41   #58
Andy1976

Total Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna B View Post
I think we seem to be going through an epidemic of mental illness, and when I look at the world, I'm not surprised.

There's little or no help out there, with long waiting lists at best. And even when there is, there's no magic wand that can make everything alright.
Something that frustrates me is people who self diagnose.

How often do we hear 'Oh I can't do that - I'm OCD'. No. You're not. You just have traits which mean you like things tidy. Casually claiming such things downplay genuine illness and trivialise it.

(Ditto 'I'm bi-polar. That's why I'm snapping at you'. No, you're just being a cow.)
13-04-2017, 11:46   #59
Olive

Total Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna B View Post
Well, I suppose you could use drugs or alcohol.....

The point I'm making is that substances such as these remove people from an unbearable reality.

I wonder how many of them are on drugs because they're on the streets, rather than being on the streets because of drugs. I think we shouldn't be too quick to judge until we've experienced being lost and homeless.
Absolutely. I thought the same.

What seemed so bad though was the vulnerability. To be spark out in the middle of the pavement with hordes of commuters going past. Very sad. There but for the grace of ....

Last edited by Olive; 13-04-2017 at 12:34.
13-04-2017, 13:12   #60
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Absolutely. I thought the same.

What seemed so bad though was the vulnerability. To be spark out in the middle of the pavement with hordes of commuters going past. Very sad. There but for the grace of ....
It is sad. But what's the solution? Hostels? Many of them won't accept people under the influence of drink and drugs. A tenancy? That means benefits have to be spent on rent, council tax, water etc. Not everyone is able to cope with what most of us are used to. It is obvious though that not everyone can access the mental health or social services they need.

The majority of families support each other, if adult children fall on hard times parents step up and vice versa. But that's not the case for all, or for those with no families.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha
Reply To Topic