Sheffield Forum

Christine Keeler

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-12-2017, 07:19   #1
ukdobby
Registered User
ukdobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rojales
Total Posts: 10,207
She's died aged 75,if it had happened in today's society what she did she would be made,I'm a celeb,loose women,her own show.
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017, 10:20   #2
Mikes10
Registered User
Mikes10's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Total Posts: 1,633
Worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...eeler-obituary
_______
Mike

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive if your car could go straight upwards." Fred Hoyle, English astronomer and physicist. 1915 - 2001
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017, 17:34   #3
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post
She's died aged 75,if it had happened in today's society what she did she would be made,I'm a celeb,loose women,her own show.
Oh! she was a celeb alright, helped oust a tory government, a good bad girl lol
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017, 18:08   #4
Mister M
Registered User
Mister M's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: In my own world
Total Posts: 9,137
I remember going to see the film 'Scandal' in the late 1980s, with Joanne Whalley in the Christine Keeler role....Good film.
Whenever I saw her interviewed on TV years after the event she always conducted herself with dignity, and wouldn't let stupid interviewers talk down to her. RIP
_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017, 19:05   #5
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
I remember going to see the film 'Scandal' in the late 1980s, with Joanne Whalley in the Christine Keeler role....Good film.
Whenever I saw her interviewed on TV years after the event she always conducted herself with dignity, and wouldn't let stupid interviewers talk down to her. RIP
Never saw Scandal, is that the version with one of my favourite actors playing Stephen Ward, the late, great John Hurt?
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017, 19:11   #6
Anna B
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Total Posts: 9,873
According to Radio 4, John Profumo had a long standing relationship with a woman who actually was a Russian spy. The Keeler story was considered the lesser of the two evils and so made it into the press to bring John Profumo down.

Anyway, sad that Christine Keeler became the scape goat. May she rest in peace at last.
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017, 19:22   #7
stpetre
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Total Posts: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
Never saw Scandal, is that the version with one of my favourite actors playing Stephen Ward, the late, great John Hurt?
Yes John Hurt, born in Chesterfield, also in 'The Elephant Man' but as CK's pal Mandy Rice-Davies' immortal statement in a court of law, 'He (stpetre) would say that wouldn't he ?'

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 18:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
I remember going to see the film 'Scandal' in the late 1980s, with Joanne Whalley in the Christine Keeler role....Good film.
Whenever I saw her interviewed on TV years after the event she always conducted herself with dignity, and wouldn't let stupid interviewers talk down to her. RIP
Yes, very good film. One of the cast of good actors was Roland Gift, lead singer of 'Fine Young Cannibals', he played a 'bad lad' in the film.

Last edited by stpetre; 06-12-2017 at 19:27. Reason: Add
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017, 20:09   #8
Mister M
Registered User
Mister M's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: In my own world
Total Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna B View Post
According to Radio 4, John Profumo had a long standing relationship with a woman who actually was a Russian spy. The Keeler story was considered the lesser of the two evils and so made it into the press to bring John Profumo down.

Anyway, sad that Christine Keeler became the scape goat. May she rest in peace at last.
I see that the Daily Mail occasionally kept her in the limelight by publishing unflattering pictures of her in her latter years, pulling a plastic shopping trolley behind her:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mo-affair.html

Got to love the comments of the readers though; one of the best rated comments reads:

71 year old woman looks 50 years older than she did at 21 - amazing journalism - well done DM!

_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017, 23:54   #9
focemal
Registered User
focemal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Deepcar
Total Posts: 386
I will never understand why John Profumo cheated on the gorgeous and elegant Valerie Hobson.
_______
No, no, no - it's spelt Raymond Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
  Reply With Quote
07-12-2017, 00:02   #10
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by focemal View Post
I will never understand why John Profumo cheated on the gorgeous and elegant Valerie Hobson.
Well Prince Charles cheated on Diana, and look who he cheated with
  Reply With Quote
07-12-2017, 06:16   #11
focemal
Registered User
focemal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Deepcar
Total Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
Well Prince Charles cheated on Diana, and look who he cheated with
Fair point, my colour prejudice however prevents me from fancying blondes so I never got Diana, but she was a genuinely nice lady.
_______
No, no, no - it's spelt Raymond Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2017, 15:00   #12
Ridgewalk
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 1,943
Worth remembering that Christine Keeler was only 21 when the scandal broke.
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2017, 18:18   #13
ukdobby
Registered User
ukdobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rojales
Total Posts: 10,207
Was in a pub this afternoon and they had the sun,they had a page and 4 CELEBS gave their view,1 out of love island,and the other 3 I had not heard of too, what makes people a celebrity.
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2017, 18:48   #14
Andbreathe
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Total Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post
Was in a pub this afternoon and they had the sun,they had a page and 4 CELEBS gave their view,1 out of love island,and the other 3 I had not heard of too, what makes people a celebrity.

Vacuous viewers?
_______
The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.”. ... “Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit, because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure”. ... And when in their wake nothing remains but a desert, they call that peace.”. Tacitus
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2017, 20:28   #15
ukdobby
Registered User
ukdobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rojales
Total Posts: 10,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andbreathe View Post
Vacuous viewers?
Well there's got to be a lot to let these people make cash.
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2017, 23:43   #16
Ontarian1981
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post
Well there's got to be a lot to let these people make cash.
Seems like anybody who has been on the telly or in the papers is labelled a celebrity, irrespective of why they were in the public eye. There are a whole bunch of people in the western hemisphere who seriously need to get a life of their own.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:25.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server