Sheffield Forum

Christine Keeler

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic

06-12-2017, 07:19   #1
ukdobby

Total Posts: 10,207
She's died aged 75,if it had happened in today's society what she did she would be made,I'm a celeb,loose women,her own show.
06-12-2017, 10:20   #2
Mikes10

Total Posts: 1,633
Worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...eeler-obituary
_______
Mike

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive if your car could go straight upwards." Fred Hoyle, English astronomer and physicist. 1915 - 2001
06-12-2017, 17:34   #3
Ontarian1981

Total Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post
She's died aged 75,if it had happened in today's society what she did she would be made,I'm a celeb,loose women,her own show.
Oh! she was a celeb alright, helped oust a tory government, a good bad girl lol
06-12-2017, 18:08   #4
Mister M

Total Posts: 9,137
I remember going to see the film 'Scandal' in the late 1980s, with Joanne Whalley in the Christine Keeler role....Good film.
Whenever I saw her interviewed on TV years after the event she always conducted herself with dignity, and wouldn't let stupid interviewers talk down to her. RIP
_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
06-12-2017, 19:05   #5
Ontarian1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
I remember going to see the film 'Scandal' in the late 1980s, with Joanne Whalley in the Christine Keeler role....Good film.
Whenever I saw her interviewed on TV years after the event she always conducted herself with dignity, and wouldn't let stupid interviewers talk down to her. RIP
Never saw Scandal, is that the version with one of my favourite actors playing Stephen Ward, the late, great John Hurt?
06-12-2017, 19:11   #6
Anna B

Total Posts: 9,873
According to Radio 4, John Profumo had a long standing relationship with a woman who actually was a Russian spy. The Keeler story was considered the lesser of the two evils and so made it into the press to bring John Profumo down.

Anyway, sad that Christine Keeler became the scape goat. May she rest in peace at last.
06-12-2017, 19:22   #7
stpetre

Total Posts: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
Never saw Scandal, is that the version with one of my favourite actors playing Stephen Ward, the late, great John Hurt?
Yes John Hurt, born in Chesterfield, also in 'The Elephant Man' but as CK's pal Mandy Rice-Davies' immortal statement in a court of law, 'He (stpetre) would say that wouldn't he ?'

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 18:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
Yes, very good film. One of the cast of good actors was Roland Gift, lead singer of 'Fine Young Cannibals', he played a 'bad lad' in the film.

Last edited by stpetre; 06-12-2017 at 19:27. Reason: Add
06-12-2017, 20:09   #8
Mister M

Total Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna B View Post
According to Radio 4, John Profumo had a long standing relationship with a woman who actually was a Russian spy. The Keeler story was considered the lesser of the two evils and so made it into the press to bring John Profumo down.

Anyway, sad that Christine Keeler became the scape goat. May she rest in peace at last.
I see that the Daily Mail occasionally kept her in the limelight by publishing unflattering pictures of her in her latter years, pulling a plastic shopping trolley behind her:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mo-affair.html

Got to love the comments of the readers though; one of the best rated comments reads:

71 year old woman looks 50 years older than she did at 21 - amazing journalism - well done DM!

_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
06-12-2017, 23:54   #9
focemal

Total Posts: 386
I will never understand why John Profumo cheated on the gorgeous and elegant Valerie Hobson.
_______
No, no, no - it's spelt Raymond Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
07-12-2017, 00:02   #10
Ontarian1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by focemal View Post
I will never understand why John Profumo cheated on the gorgeous and elegant Valerie Hobson.
Well Prince Charles cheated on Diana, and look who he cheated with
07-12-2017, 06:16   #11
focemal

Total Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
Well Prince Charles cheated on Diana, and look who he cheated with
Fair point, my colour prejudice however prevents me from fancying blondes so I never got Diana, but she was a genuinely nice lady.
_______
No, no, no - it's spelt Raymond Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
08-12-2017, 15:00   #12
Ridgewalk

Total Posts: 1,943
Worth remembering that Christine Keeler was only 21 when the scandal broke.
08-12-2017, 18:18   #13
ukdobby

Was in a pub this afternoon and they had the sun,they had a page and 4 CELEBS gave their view,1 out of love island,and the other 3 I had not heard of too, what makes people a celebrity.
08-12-2017, 18:48   #14
Andbreathe

Total Posts: 325
Quote:
Was in a pub this afternoon and they had the sun,they had a page and 4 CELEBS gave their view,1 out of love island,and the other 3 I had not heard of too, what makes people a celebrity.

Vacuous viewers?
_______
The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.”. ... “Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit, because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure”. ... And when in their wake nothing remains but a desert, they call that peace.”. Tacitus
08-12-2017, 20:28   #15
ukdobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andbreathe View Post
Vacuous viewers?
Well there's got to be a lot to let these people make cash.
08-12-2017, 23:43   #16
Ontarian1981

Quote:
Well there's got to be a lot to let these people make cash.
Seems like anybody who has been on the telly or in the papers is labelled a celebrity, irrespective of why they were in the public eye. There are a whole bunch of people in the western hemisphere who seriously need to get a life of their own.
Reply To Topic