Sheffield to llandudno

At end of March I am planning to go to Llandudno.

By train it takes 3 and half hours (with one change) at a cost of £60-65 return.

I'm also considering driving (which will take about 2 and half hours), so can anyone advise me what the journey to Llandudno is like by car. Good or bad, straight forward or not?

Any comments would be appreciated

Thankyou

Depends what time. You'd probably have to go through mottram but other than that its a nice enough drive.

A55 through most of wales - pretty quick road out of holiday time.

Looking at travelling Saturday or Sunday morning

I'd definitely drive then. The other big advantage is that you'll have your car and can visit some of the beatiful beaches in North Wales

There can sometimes be a bottleneck on the A55 just into Wales where it goes from a three lane 70 mph road to a 50mph two laner, but after you get through that its pretty plain sailing at this time of the year.

The coastal rail line is beautiful though.

Back roads through Derbyshire heading West also makes it a really pleasant run. Just set the sat nav with avoidances and via points and you're on your way with a nice picnic ready for a much needed break where the scenery is beautiful.

Used to do Castleton, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Macclesfield, Winsford, Chester then on the 'top road' as we called it. A55 I think. But that was 50 years ago.

Used to do Castleton, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Macclesfield, Winsford, Chester then on the 'top road' as we called it. A55 I think. But that was 50 years ago.

that is (roughly) still the route to take.

Journey should be pretty straight forward. Via the M62 onto the M56 to North Wales then A55 to Llandudno - good roads all the way. Alternately over Snake Pass to Manchester then onto M56 - follow signs for Manchester Airport - then to North Wales etc. Same if over Woodhead Pass. Llandudno isn't a bad place to visit - route is scenic in North Wales.