Diagnose dementia and win a prize!!

Someone on the radio said it was like "a bounty".

I quite like the plain chocolate bounty's, but I'd sooner have the cash

Stupid idea

Too right, in fact it,s demented.

I'm reporting you lot, i'll make a fortune :)

SF needs a like / lol button

Someone beat me to it

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 14:30 ----------

It doesn't seem a very good idea to me. But I'll wait until I see the ins and outs of it. In fact I'll talk to a doctor and see what she thinks about it .....

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 14:51 ----------

Right... Spoke to a Doctor. They have been incentivised for years. They are busy people and if they can diagnose a dementia sufferer early, it can be treated much better. Making a better life for someone who is demented and for their families. Incentivisation for a specific thing will mean they will concentrate on this disease more. Now sounds like a bit better idea than I first thought.

Edited by RonJeremy

SF needs a like / lol button

Someone beat me to it

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 14:30 ----------

It doesn't seem a very good idea to me. But I'll wait until I see the ins and outs of it. In fact I'll talk to a doctor and see what she thinks about it .....

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 14:51 ----------

Right... Spoke to a Doctor. They have been incentivised for years. They are busy people and if they can diagnose a dementia sufferer early, it can be treated much better. Making a better life for someone who is demented and for their families. Incentivisation for a specific thing will mean they will concentrate on this disease more. Now sounds like a bit better idea than I first thought.

But our GPs are stretched anyway (as your doctor contact said) - is it right that dementia gets incentivised and thus prioritised over other diseases/ailments? What about mental health patients, gout sufferers, high blood pressure... there is an endless list, why should one get priority over the other?

Reckon the incidence of dementia cases could unexplainably triple shortly!

If more people are screened then more will be diagnosed so.. yes ! It is likely that the 'incidence ' will appear to increase.

If more people are screened and diagnosed earlier their outlook for maintaining a better quality of life for longer whilst dealing with this dreadful disease is more likely.

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 17:20 ----------

But our GPs are stretched anyway (as your doctor contact said) - is it right that dementia gets incentivised and thus prioritised over other diseases/ailments? What about mental health patients, gout sufferers, high blood pressure... there is an endless list, why should one get priority over the other?

I guess it depends if that particular disease or illness has affected you or a loved one :(

Edited by Daven

I think there's a particular issue with dementia in that in many cases the GP knows or suspects a patient has the disease, but for one reason or another is reluctant to give a proper diagnosis. Perhaps they think that it's an inevitable part of growing old, or that even with a diagnosis it will make little difference to the way they their patient is treated. Possibly many people are actually being treated but are not told the full facts about their condition.

My Nan (aged 94) has clearly been suffering from dementia for quite a few years now, it's been obvious to us, and will have been to her GP, as he's known her for many years. It's only in the last few months, now that she's really quite bad, that Grandad's been told what's wrong with her.

We know now that some therapies are helpful in delaying onset of more serious symptoms, so it stands to reason that it's better if people are told and given the chance to get help. Having said that, perhaps GPs are worried about having to provide additional care once a diagnosis has been given?

If more people are screened then more will be diagnosed so.. yes ! It is likely that the 'incidence ' will appear to increase.

If more people are screened and diagnosed earlier their outlook for maintaining a better quality of life for longer whilst dealing with this dreadful disease is more likely.

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 17:20 ----------

I guess it depends if that particular disease or illness has affected you or a loved one :(

And therefore, I guess become 'cheaper' to look after in terms of the government bill, so it's a win win I guess?

They are incentivised for many things and I accept that in a political centrally planned dinosaur like the NHS, the Government of the day calls the shots. The Govt has decided to give a priority to prevent dementia, by getting people diagnosed as demented and the obvious way to incentivise people is financially.

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 22:22 ----------

And therefore, I guess become 'cheaper' to look after in terms of the government bill, so it's a win win I guess?

Absolutely - win win - there will be more money in the long run to treat others. It appears that a mostly financial decision will have a beneficial effect all round.

Well done the tories

Well, not necessarily in the long run. At the moment, symptoms can only be delayed, so yes you have more chance of prolonging a better quality of life with an earlier diagnosis, but sooner or later the illness will catch up with the patient.