Christmas without Ikkle baby Jesus?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11264641/Christmas-no-room-at-the-inn-for-baby-Jesus-in-school-nativities.html

Is anyone really bothered? Im not but then i know that the story of Jesus is a fake and everything about it is made up and stolen from earlier myths and legends.

Are you bothered? Does it even matter? Only around 10% of us go to church regular anyway so isnt it about time he was replaced by something a little more current?

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 11:19 ----------

Thank you kind person who fixed my spelling in the title :)

I'm not really bothered about the celebration of christianity being banished as such, but I am bothered about the reason why. It is being banished so as not to hurt the feelings of those following other religions. To me, this is wrong. All people should be able to follow their beliefs and intolerance from any sector is abhorrent. Unfortunately a lot of it is caused by "do-gooder", liberal-minded so-called christians. For some reason they think they have the right to tell everyone what they should or should not think or do. They are the ones that should be banished.

As an atheist I think perhaps all religion should be banished from schools, and if parents want a nativity play wouldn't the logical place be their church?

So if schools want to put on a play (it doesn't have to be in December) for the little ones to make their parents proud it could be any story.

Religious thinking plays no part in my xmas thinking whatsoever.

Nor mine, but it's ok to put up the decorations and go into party mode. For me it's more about family, friends and time off work than religion. I'm not even christian anyway

No faith in baby Jesus anymore = no valid reason whatsoever to celebrate Xmas anymore, so after 2014 years (or thereabouts), 25 and 26 December can finally revert back to being just bog-standard working days again.

As an employer, I for one heartily welcome this productive act of collective consciousness :thumbsup:

No faith in baby Jesus anymore = no valid reason whatsoever to celebrate Xmas anymore, so after 2014 years, 25 and 26 December can finally revert back to being just bog-standard working days again.

As an employer, I for one heartily welcome this productive act of collective consciousness :thumbsup:

I don't think Christmas has ever really been about Jesus.

-Wasn't his birthday

-Santa's nothing to do with the Bible

-Neither are Christmas trees

etc

EDIT: I know, I know, Santa came along later. Pagan celebrations of the tree were around before Jebus though

Edited by RootsBooster

Bearing in mind that modern society has turned Christmastime into commecialtime perhpas it is time that we left Chirsitmas to the churches, got rid of the bank holidays and encourage more fights like we saw last friday? After all thats what most on the forum want as every time christmas is mentioned out come the old favourites about pagan fesitivals, christian knocking and the general promotion of atheism as if its just been invented!! Anyone would think that the churches were FORCING you into celebrating it!!! They are not, so lets get rid of the holiday, turn 25 and 26 December into working days and then everyone on the forum will be happy :)

... so isnt it about time he was replaced by something a little more current?
Simon Cowell in a manger, being visited by Ant and Dec as the wise men and the Cast of Towie instead of shepherds? Need to think about where the Kardashians fit into it all

I don't think Christmas has ever really been about Jesus.
Genuine question: why should I hold your opinion as more valid than e.g. just under two millenia of Christian beliefs and the time-honoured Oxford dictionary's definition of the word? :confused:

Christmas

Line breaks: Christ|mas

Pronunciation: /ˈkrɪsməs

noun (plural Christmases)

Definition of Christmas in English: The annual Christian festival celebrating Christ’s birth, held on 25 December in the Western Church.

I look forward to your answer.

EDIT: on the topic of Santa, aka St Nick, have you heard of St Nicholas? Here's a primer. When I was a kid, Saint Nicholas and the Père Fouettard used to visit (State-) school every 6th December. They still do, according to my young nephews.

Bearing in mind that modern society has turned Christmastime into commecialtime perhpas it is time that we left Chirsitmas to the churches, got rid of the bank holidays and encourage more fights like we saw last friday? After all thats what most on the forum want as every time christmas is mentioned out come the old favourites about pagan fesitivals, christian knocking and the general promotion of atheism as if its just been invented!! Anyone would think that the churches were FORCING you into celebrating it!!! They are not, so lets get rid of the holiday, turn 25 and 26 December into working days and then everyone on the forum will be happy :)
My feelings, pretty much :) Edited by L00b

As an atheist I think perhaps all religion should be banished from schools, and if parents want a nativity play wouldn't the logical place be their church?

So if schools want to put on a play (it doesn't have to be in December) for the little ones to make their parents proud it could be any story.

If religious education is banished from schools, who else will teach it?

You might think no one should, but so much in our country requires a Christian frame of reference to understand it. History for example, particularly the Tudors, makes no sense without some knowledge of Christian belief. Victorian society also publicly demonstrated 'Christian' duty which led to welfare reforms, etc.

Would we also banish Easter and Christmas?

A knowledge of Christianity would seem to be important in a country with its own church, ie a Church of England and a long history of Christianity.

I think we are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

Simon Cowell in a manger, being visited by Ant and Dec as the wise men and the Cast of Towie instead of shepherds? Need to think about where the Kardashians fit into it all

Misread that as being violated by,

I guess Im going to Hell now.