Hillsborough Area

jogenn

I am from out of town and looking at a room in Hillsborough soon.

How is this area crime wise?

Are there a lot of muggings and so on?

Secondly, my job is going to be in Sheffield City Centre, Young Street S1.

How long is it to get to the city centre from Hillsborough by public transport?

Can you walk to the city centre from Hillsborough?

Thirdly is Hillsborough close to the main railway station?

If Hillsorough isn't a suitable area can anyone recommend an area in Sheffield which is:

1) Low risk for street crime

2) Easily accessible to city centre

3) Easily accessible to rail station

Thanks

Originally posted by jogenn

I am from out of town and looking at a room in Hillsborough soon.

How is this area crime wise?

Are there a lot of muggings and so on?

Secondly, my job is going to be in Sheffield City Centre, Young Street S1.

How long is it to get to the city centre from Hillsborough by public transport?

Can you walk to the city centre from Hillsborough?

Thirdly is Hillsborough close to the main railway station?

If Hillsorough isn't a suitable area can anyone recommend an area in Sheffield which is:

1) Low risk for street crime

2) Easily accessible to city centre

3) Easily accessible to rail station

Thanks

-Not sure about crime, but I haven't heard that it is any better or worse than similar areas. Generally seems a nice area.

-Muggings, the same response again, but unless you are 18 and have downed a bottle of vodka or 10 pints in the pubs then the shopping area is a bit of a no-go Thursday - Saturday nights. I lock my car doors if driving through, whilst avoiding the drunken kiddies staggering blindly across the road.

-Not really walkable to the city centre. Probably 4 miles? Bus or tram will get you there quite quickly.

- Even further to the central rail station which is on the other side of the centre. The main station is also the nearest!

Woodhouse is relatively low on street crime, has a trainstation with a halfhourly service to town (10 mins), but is a £8 taxi ride home if you've been out in town. There is a night bus.

Avoid the badger estate, but aim for the Beighton end to be within easy walking distance of the station. Woodhouse mill is close too.

Crystal peaks is nearby and the M1 is easily accessible.

Map

Hillsborough is lovely

I've lived here for six months, seen no crime or muggings.

Transport into town is good, buses take on average 10-15 mins, the tram about 15-20.

Parking on some streets is generally ok apart from match day when you sometimes can struggle.

Taxis cost around £7 from town so not too bad.

Its a nice friendly place to live with lots of local shops and a variety of pubs and bars.

I agree. I have been here 2 years now and was quite sceptical about the area but now I wouldn't consider moving at all.

The occassional ruck in the Blue Ball is nothing different to what you get elsewhere and there are easy links to Crookes and Walkley.

hills is quite close nit backward community at the weekends (eve) but generally its not so bad. pubs are pants but it has a few nice places to eat

choice of 2 trams, very regular and buses

new college being built near stadium and napoleons

also has sports centre and a Fitness First up the road

Good for jumping on tram to west st/town for night out and taxis not usually expensive.

close to reserviors at oughtibridge for walks and near to motorway and meadowhall

When I first moved to Sheffield 20 years ago, my colleagues in the organisation I had just joined (no names, no pack drill) were appalled that I chose to buy a house in "down market" Hillsborough. Their preferred locations were Dronfield and Dore. I never regretted my decision and loved Hillsborough and made many good friends there. The shopping area had all you could wish for, there was the park and Wadsley Common, Rivelin Valley not too far away and generally a very nice place to live. When it came time to downsize from a four bed family house to something more manageable, we decided to move to just south of the city centre. Much as we like it here with all the benefits of easy access to the centre, Ecclesall, London Road and so on, it doesn't have that village feel of Hillsborough. There is still a definite feeling of community there and a feeling of belonging. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if they have young kids.