View Full Version : Which is the best area to live in Sheffield?

ianm
21-09-2003, 14:26
can any one recommend an area to live in near sheffield? (the word " leeds" does not count) please give your reasons

DaBouncer
21-09-2003, 14:53
Ianm welcome to the forum.

Using the search (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/search.php) facility this (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1131&highlight=What+is+sheffields+BEST+area) was discovered ;)

t020
21-09-2003, 16:44
I would say that Sheffields best area is Fulwood. Dore also has some very nice large houses. Expect to pay high prices for both.
Just outside Sheffield we have Hathersage which is also a fine area.

Rich
21-09-2003, 16:46
Stannington is also a top area, plenty of friendly Pubs up here... except stay out of the Sportsman on Oldfield Road on a Tuesday and Sunday night unless you want to get dragged into arguments about rumoured fixing of the quiz cos the same team wins every week.

max
21-09-2003, 16:49
Defining the best area is impossible. The areas t020 describes might be the 'ideal' areas for some people but there many criteria to consider price being the prime one. If you have a small budget and no car then I'd suggest looking at areas of Sheffield serviced by supertram.

Try supplying a few more details such as budget and where you will be working and we will probably be more able to help.

Rich
21-09-2003, 17:05
Hey max, I used to live in Walkley.

We moved up Stannington 6 years ago in November cos of problems with the daft old bat who lived next door.

Walkley Bank Road we lived on, the lower part, just above Rivelin Valley Road.

max
21-09-2003, 17:15
Originally posted by Rich
Hey max, I used to live in Walkley.

We moved up Stannington 6 years ago in November cos of problems with the daft old bat who lived next door.

Walkley Bank Road we lived on, the lower part, just above Rivelin Valley Road.

I know it well. One of the reasons we moved here was because the selfish b******s who lived behind us in Crookes built decking overlooking our garden. So I know what it's like being chased out of your home.

jonathand
24-09-2003, 13:16
I moved up to Sheffield from London in January and I'm finding Hillsborough a great place to live.

Lots of nice shops, 20 minutes on the tram into town, 15 minutes by bus outside of peak times, Hillsborough park close by and plenty of green areas and walks.

Not too expensive either.

DaBouncer
24-09-2003, 13:23
Smells a bit down there tho! :P

max
24-09-2003, 13:27
Originally posted by DaBouncer
Smells a bit down there tho! :P

I'm guessing you're referring to some sporting arena in the area rather than the area. Or rather, I'm hoping you are otherwise we may have a small falling out. :D

DaBouncer
24-09-2003, 13:30
Now you come to mention it. The smell does seem to be eminating from a large sporting (for want of a better word :lol: ) building down that neck of the woods.

steelblade
24-09-2003, 13:47
Stannington was a brilliant area. Sadly it isn't anymore. Up in the village it is ok but if you are unfortunate enough to have to live in the council bit as I do then be warned, the kids run the area.

In recent years the council have gone into overdrive housing scum here who have made the area extremely undesirable.

goldenfleece
18-10-2003, 09:26
The best area is indeed to the West of the City: FULWOOD, miles better than Dore or Totley which are now too spreadeagled all over the pl;ace and just blend into each other anonymously.

House prices will cost you 3 legs and 4 arms, but you get a great area, good transport, good local pubs and easy access to the City plus the peaks on your doorstep.

christofaa
08-11-2003, 15:01
I've lived in Fulwood all my life and one thing Fulwood hasn't got is a pub.

goldenfleece
10-11-2003, 17:07
Well no pub as such, unless you count the so called FULWOOD INN which is really in Ranmoor. And the Ranmoor Inn pretends to be in Fulwood, so somtimes does the BULLS HEAD (both Ranmoor really) as does the RISING SUN which is really Nethergreen. And the SHINY SHEFF pretends to be in *upper Fulwood* which is daft as its really Redmires/Lodge Moor.

Fulwood itself is surrounded by Pubs on all sides, from those mentioned above across to the PLOUGH at Sandygate on the other side. So yes, it has no pub, but there are those who claim to be in its *upper* area in order to get in on the so called prestige.

t020
10-11-2003, 22:29
Fulwoods a lovely place.

little jo
21-11-2003, 20:36
just depends on ya budget, whether you want to buy? rent private or council?

the areas to definately stay away from are sheffield manor, bottom end of firth park, and definately pitsmoor

good luck in finding somthing pm me if you want and i'll try and help if i can as i know someone who buys and sells houses and also rents

little jo

mk72
22-11-2003, 00:46
I'g stay away from the estates mentioned above.

If you have the budget, I'd look at Dore, Totley, Whirlow and Fulwood, Very nice places, and the countryside is on your doorstep!

goldenfleece
22-11-2003, 07:53
Originally posted by mk72
I'g stay away from the estates mentioned above.

If you have the budget, I'd look at Dore, Totley, Whirlow and Fulwood, Very nice places, and the countryside is on your doorstep!

Add to that Eccelsall, Redmires (Lodge Moor), Sandygate, parts of Beauchief, parts of Milhouses, Totley Rise (bits), Nethergreen (top bit), Ranmoor, Broomhill (west posh bit), Bannercross (posh bits), in short you cant go far wrong with an S10 postcode if you just avoid Crookes and central Broomhill, and an S11 code will generally be good unless is central Hunters Bar or Eccellsall road, Bannercross main shopping areas, or the bits between Ecclesall road and Abbeydale Road before you get far enough out of town.

Funke88
23-11-2003, 03:38
My parents have lived on Brooklands Avenue for over 40 years. Apparantly there was a discussion when they moved into the area of building a pub where the news agents is now. The older locals had a fit and said it would lower the tone of the area. Strangely enough there's a pub at Lodge Moor, Dore and Totley. All nice areas!

christofaa
29-11-2003, 19:40
There was a pub in Fulwood about a hundred years ago. It was called the Blacksmith's arms (next to the Smithies, now Ranmoor motor company) and was on old fulwood rd. George Cunningham did a picture of it. However, the vicarage used to be across the rd. Think it got shut down by the church.

Guess this doesn't have much to do with the original suject though.
Whehey.

Merlin
06-12-2003, 13:35
Aston is a real nice place to live close to the M1 but a nice quite area to live

GazB
15-12-2003, 11:44
Originally posted by goldenfleece
Add to that Eccelsall, Redmires (Lodge Moor), Sandygate, parts of Beauchief, parts of Milhouses, Totley Rise (bits), Nethergreen (top bit), Ranmoor, Broomhill (west posh bit), Bannercross (posh bits), in short you cant go far wrong with an S10 postcode if you just avoid Crookes and central Broomhill, and an S11 code will generally be good unless is central Hunters Bar or Eccellsall road, Bannercross main shopping areas, or the bits between Ecclesall road and Abbeydale Road before you get far enough out of town.

Sorry for being a little rash but what a crock of *****.

Like Max says, it depends on the individuals needs/likes/budget etc.

Bluebird
20-12-2003, 11:26
All the areas mentioned above are really nice places to live in Sheffield.Particularly Fulwood and Dore are good but they would cost a hand and a foot to buy even a small property.
Recently i remember reading an article in a newspaper claiming Sothall near crystal peaks shopping centre as the most value for money locality in Britain to live, taking into consideration house prices and amenities available around. I know of folks who live around there and there are also some very good and higher end properties for reasonable price in new developements in Owlthorpe and near Beighton community hospital .Given the house prices in leafy suburbs,followed by S11 postcode i think these areas are very good choices.What are other peoples thoughts on this?

venger
20-12-2003, 11:56
Originally posted by GazB
Sorry for being a little rash but what a crock of *****.

Like Max says, it depends on the individuals needs/likes/budget etc.

I think you missed the point somewhat GazB.

Max was correct in saying that it has to depend on an individuals requirements.

Point being, goldenfleece was clearly giving some sound direction to someone who asked for it.

Where was that crock of ***** coming from?

elf
23-12-2003, 19:45
We just moved to the Walkley / Hillsborough area and so far it is great. But it does depend on what you want from where you live. Also the amount of money you have to spend on your property will make a difference. But for a good and convenient, friendly area this would definitly seem to be the place.

Mr BusDriver
25-12-2003, 00:59
Originally posted by goldenfleece
[B]The best area is indeed to the West of the City: FULWOOD, miles better than Dore or Totley

I live in Dore and I have to agree with goldenfleece Fulwood is a very nice area I would rather live there or Lodge Moor.
But one fact is sure if you want the nice area keep to the west side of Sheffield.

You could give me all the money in the world and I would not go to Firvale/Burngreave.

Bluebird
27-12-2003, 12:14
Originally posted by Mr BusDriver
I live in Dore and I have to agree with goldenfleece Fulwood is a very nice area I would rather live there or Lodge Moor.
But one fact is sure if you want the nice area keep to the west side of Sheffield.

You could give me all the money in the world and I would not go to Firvale/Burngreave.

I do agree that west part of sheffield is the best area.

However i must repeat that increasingly i am finding some good parts in south east also with some improved schools.

Property prices seems so inflated in western side that i feel people should also include to look at south east and i'm sure they will not be disappointed in what they see

franc1987
04-01-2004, 14:17
+++++++++++++++++++++=

qazitory
06-01-2004, 19:46
Originally posted by little jo
just depends on ya budget, whether you want to buy? rent private or council?

the areas to definately stay away from are sheffield manor, bottom end of firth park, and definately pitsmoor

good luck in finding somthing pm me if you want and i'll try and help if i can as i know someone who buys and sells houses and also rents

little jo

I live in pitsmoor, and i've not had any trouble at all.

qazitory
06-01-2004, 19:48
Originally posted by Mr BusDriver

We cant all afford Dore! Where's the best place on a budget? And again I live there and never had any trouble. Don't believe everything you read in the star.

Appro
07-01-2004, 12:53
I agree, people believe what they read/hear. I grew up in Southey Green/Parson Cross and never had an ounce of trouble. I don't know anyone who's been mugged, had their house burgled, or their car stolen/vandalised. We went to Dore to do that!

max
07-01-2004, 13:22
Originally posted by Appro
I agree, people believe what they read/hear. I grew up in Southey Green/Parson Cross and never had an ounce of trouble. I don't know anyone who's been mugged, had their house burgled, or their car stolen/vandalised. We went to Dore to do that!

LOL.

How'd you manage that then? The bus service is dire.

sat1983
19-05-2004, 18:25
I have lived in quite a few areas in Sheffield. In my experience keep to the WEST of the city.
I lived in Pitsmoor, Parson Cross, Handsworth, Walkley.. Out of them Walkley is the only area I'd say is okay, if you get on with students!! I am now moving to Fulwood which is what I have been waiting for for many years!!!
I always think this East/ West divide in Sheffield is amazing. I mean my grandparents still live in Pitsmoor and everytime I get there I think " Its like another world". Basically pitsmoor is dirty, grey, depressing and very dangerous.
Parson cross is slightly better but a classic council estate type area, very boring...
Anyway I annoy people with this classic line but I always think that if you want to live properly in Sheffield stick to the S10 & S11 areas. I tend to think living in any other postcode has got downsides. Of course, you've gotta have the old cash to live in the good areas but I tend to think that you get what you pay for in life.

bulldog D
20-05-2004, 08:10
S12 is another good area with excellent transport links and a mixture of expensive to moderately priced houses although the latter are decreasing in number. The nice thing about it is that the people who live here still have their feet firmly on the ground and have not yet had their ego's boosted by overated houses at over inflated prices.

snowboarder
26-05-2004, 10:37
Why did I ever sell up and leave S10!!!! MADNESS!!! I now cant afford to move back there.......see my post under HOUSE PRICES RIP OFF. Grrrrrrrr.........

Dr Feelgood
26-05-2004, 22:26
Broomhill and the plush parts of Broomhall have lovely grand victorian houses, but the areas also have a very cosmopolitan vibe to it as well, which i love.
There are lovely treelined streets but you are just a skip and hop away from the city centre and Eccy rd.

But if I were a few years older then Fulwood and Whirlow would be more my choice.

Ecclesall would not feature too highly because even though T020 puts forward a very convincing arguement, its just too bland and oh so full of very common looking 1930's semis, sorry but just not in the same class as the other areas i have mentioned.

There are lovely pockets in Millhouses as well.

t020
26-05-2004, 23:08
The 1930s semis and detached style houses add to the feel of affluent suburbia IMO. The tree lined roads and perfect gardens, as well as being surrounded by trees, woods and parks also add to the appearance. Whirlow is also full of 1930s houses, and Fulwood has a lot of 1950s - 1960s housing which, IMO, is one of the most ugly eras for housing. Fulwood would probably be my no. 1 choice though.

Titian
27-05-2004, 06:42
Originally posted by sat1983
I have lived in quite a few areas in Sheffield. In my experience keep to the WEST of the city.
I lived in Pitsmoor, Parson Cross, Handsworth, Walkley.. Out of them Walkley is the only area I'd say is okay, if you get on with students!! I am now moving to Fulwood which is what I have been waiting for for many years!!!
I always think this East/ West divide in Sheffield is amazing. I mean my grandparents still live in Pitsmoor and everytime I get there I think " Its like another world". Basically pitsmoor is dirty, grey, depressing and very dangerous.
Parson cross is slightly better but a classic council estate type area, very boring...
Anyway I annoy people with this classic line but I always think that if you want to live properly in Sheffield stick to the S10 & S11 areas. I tend to think living in any other postcode has got downsides. Of course, you've gotta have the old cash to live in the good areas but I tend to think that you get what you pay for in life.

who's paying for you to live in Fulwood?

sat1983
30-05-2004, 06:33
My uni loan and a job why??? Think I'm on the dole???
Try again!!!

Abdul
30-05-2004, 10:15
Try again!!!

Err...what makes you think bonny meant it like that?

If your paranoia wasn't so amusing, I'd recommend you seek professional counselling :D

1Man&hisBMW
31-05-2004, 00:48
Try again!!!

Run that by us again - are you renting or paying a mortgage (or living with your parents)?

Uni loans are approx 4k max dependant on parental income and your own job.

t020
31-05-2004, 00:54
A bit personal isn't it? It's vulgar to discuss personal finances. However he has funded it is his business only, and not relevant to the debate.

1Man&hisBMW
01-06-2004, 01:39
Originally posted by t020
A bit personal isn't it? It's vulgar to discuss personal finances. However he has funded it is his business only, and not relevant to the debate.

If it was he wouldnt discuss it himself would he? Infact by his own statement he suggests we 'try again'.

If its so vulgar to discuss personal finance, then stop your bull***** by telling us how only people with money can live up your end of town and how expensive it is - because we all know that folk up there have x-amount of money and disposable income. Thats personal finance based on your locality isn't it?

You have to ask yourself, moving from Pitsmoor to Fulwood is a bit of a jump, so why is asking such a big deal.

In future don't reply to my posts unless you have something half useful to say.

:thumbsup:

t020
01-06-2004, 10:37
No because income based on locality is an average, not personal. I just think personal income should remain personal and isn't generally something you ask about. If he wants to answer though, then thats his choice. Yes it is a bit of a jump - lottery win maybe?

1Man&hisBMW
01-06-2004, 11:53
Try again!!!

T020 - read it over again. He is discussing his own personal finance here.....

What I asked what partially what I know myself about Student Loans - as for his work, fair enough thats up to him, but unless he is earning a fairly significant amount to be living in a house, or just enough to be in a 1 room bedsit is his business fair enough, but then perhaps if he was so concerned about keeping his finances private he wouldnt invite us to ask him about it.

Lottery win? Even you're speculating now!

Saxon
01-06-2004, 15:47
Getting back on topic, why not look a bit further afield? I live at Aston (S26) which is technically in Rotherham but its great and house prices are average.

1Man&hisBMW
01-06-2004, 19:48
agree with that Aston has some very nice houses - I looked at a house there a while ago. Most of the roads in that area were named after various birds!

there is also a new housing development there, just off mansfield road isnt it?

qazitory
01-06-2004, 21:14
ianm, what's your budget?

Saxon
02-06-2004, 06:44
there is also a new housing development there, just off mansfield road isnt it?

Yes - its going to be quite a large development and I believe 3 bed detached are going for something in the region of 160-170k. 4 bed detached are just over 200k (I know because I want one ;) )

But the older houses (the estate 1Man&hisBMW mentioned) are a bit cheaper - 3 bed semis go for anything between 90k and 120k.

Aston's a great place - I've lived here for 19 years, and moved twice - each time about 1/2 a mile to a different type of house. Close to good schools, M1, 20 minutes from centre of Sheffield by car - only downside is that its technically in Rotherham!!

ToryCynic
04-06-2004, 09:35
The people we know in Psalter Lane "Nether Edge" *that's it's sub-area* isn't it?
They seem reasonable houses so does is it "Hunter's Bar" S10 i think?

Alex

Plain Talker
04-06-2004, 10:28
Originally posted by amhudson119
The people we know in Psalter Lane "Nether Edge" *that's it's sub-area* isn't it?
They seem reasonable houses so does is it "Hunter's Bar" S10 i think?

Alex

psalter lane is nether edge, heading up tothe districts of banner cross/ brincliffe as you go up the hill. (my house is just off there)

the housing on there is mostly vict'/ edwardian and they are really pretty.
it's a very quiet, leafy suburb, with some quite good schools.

hunters bar covers two postcode areas, s11 and s10; the s10 side goes up towards the hallamshire hospital. that postcode puts a bit of a premium on the house price, as it's heading into broomhill and university terrirory. you have to be careful where exactly in hunters bar the property is, as some parts whilst not "dire" are a bit shabbier, (seedier?) more run down, particularly the bits with the smaller, terraced housing heading back toward the city.

these two postcodes seem popular with students, too.

lots of speciality shopping along ecclesall road. lots of eateries...
there are fairly frequent buses on ecclesall road which will take you into the city in less than 10 minutes (hunters bar is no more than about 2 miles out from the city centre)

if you like the countryside/hiking that sort of thing, the peak district national park is on the door step. you can get a couple of buses from Ecclesall road (out of town) to the peak park, to hathersage and castleton, (the blue-john mines are excellent!) or chatsworth house.
nearer on the botanical gardens are excellent with their restored glasshouses, designed by Paxton who did Kew's and chatsworth's ornamental glasshouses. lovely for a sunny afternoons stroll. my granddaughtere loves to go in there and feed the squirrels.

PT

Wavey
04-06-2004, 14:54
Frecheville, Intake, Basegreen and Hollinsend aren't at all bad and still relatively affordable (the older houses any road up). I've lived in the area all my life.

Emmy
10-10-2006, 17:53
Can anyone advise whether they would move from ranmoor to lower millhouses lane? I am currently looking to move, would love to stay local in ranmoor but there is little for sale, there is a great victorian house at the bottom of millhouses lane but worried i will regret leaving ranmoor as it is a great place to live. However i wouldnt get the house in millhouses for the same money in ranmoor! opinions welcome to aid my decision!

tom3t0
10-10-2006, 17:58
Frecheville, Intake, Basegreen and Hollinsend aren't at all bad and still relatively affordable (the older houses any road up). I've lived in the area all my life.
not as affordable as when they were built though, i have seen a poster of some of the house adjacent to city road going for 378 when they were built:o fairly nice areas though, but i wish i was alive to buy one for that back in the day

Einna
14-10-2006, 18:27
Live in Attercliffe, theres no irritating neighbours, and its the historical/industrial and former cultural heart of sheffield. I love it, having no neighbours but the steel works, its gothic industrial heaven (and its great for trams/buses/meadowhall/M1 and city centre! Not everyones cuppa but id never move away, ever!

Wares
15-10-2006, 13:56
ecclesall road and sharrow...really pretty, close to town good bars and shops

cbr900
15-10-2006, 15:46
got a nice fully refurbished victorian house for sale in Totley and it's in a lovely area.

unodoshol
16-10-2006, 14:17
in my opinion, Broomhill, soom good local shops and close enough to uni/ city centre without being to busy/ noisy.

april
02-03-2013, 09:10
Hiya we are moving back to sheff before the summer to rent- i have a teenage daughter and want to live somewhere where there is a sense of community, quiet not with loads of students on either side of me, what are the areas Heeley, Crookes, Netheredge, Hillsborough like for families , please help, i ve been looking at areas or s6,s7,s8,s9,s10,s11

have a good day

Gleadly
02-03-2013, 14:34
Gleadless, by the common is very nice and quiet.

Springs Academy is very close.

Also good for trams or busses into town or Crystal Peaks

Stuart82
02-03-2013, 15:10
Heeley and Hillsborough are ok, don't really know much about the other two?

CuMo
02-03-2013, 23:22
Check also:
Watertorpe, Sothal, Beighton, Sothal, Owthorpe.
My 2 cents :)

staninoodle
02-03-2013, 23:37
Cant go wrong in the northern part of sheffield,take yer pick,grenoside,deepcar,worral,oughtibridge,all great places to live,wouldnt live anywhere else....

april
03-03-2013, 09:10
Are all these areas near to trams into town ? THANKYOU

Cyclone
03-03-2013, 09:43
Hiya we are moving back to sheff before the summer to rent- i have a teenage daughter and want to live somewhere where there is a sense of community, quiet not with loads of students on either side of me, what are the areas Heeley, Crookes, Netheredge, Hillsborough like for families , please help, i ve been looking at areas or s6,s7,s8,s9,s10,s11

have a good day

Some parts of Crookes are very studenty, if you go further down the hill towards Commonside or Walkley the housing is much the same, but there are less students. (Also you get closer to the tram which runs along infirmary road towards Hillsborough).

Vague_Boy
06-03-2013, 23:49
Gleadless, by the common is very nice and quiet.

Springs Academy is very close.

Is Springs Academy a source of any "bother"?

I pass through Gleadless Common on the 51 quite often and it always seems quiet enough.

Ms Macbeth
07-03-2013, 05:25
Are all these areas near to trams into town ? THANKYOU

We moved to Hillsborough a few years ago partly because of having the tram. We wanted somewhere with local amenities and decent public transport, and as our daughter was already living in the lower Walkley area, we followed. I can't comment on the other areas as I haven't lived in them.

Houses are still selling in the area, and there are usually a few advertised for rent. Good luck on moving where ever you decide.

Gleadly
07-03-2013, 07:15
Is Springs Academy a source of any "bother"?

I pass through Gleadless Common on the 51 quite often and it always seems quiet enough.

Not to my knowledge.
I believe it was modernised about 4 years ago, and it a well-used secondary school.
The only downside is that entry to the school is only from Hurlfield Road, and you can only access the fitness centre from East Bank Road. Security issue.

Ther fitness centre has a swimming pool, and that's run by Fitness Unlimited /SIV. Same group as DVS.

Very popular.

GrannyGranny
07-03-2013, 07:21
S7 covers a big area and the size, cost etc.. varies depending where you go so be careful and check out the area carefully.

Most of S10 and S11 are nice. I lived in S11 for nearly 20 years before moving to S7.
Parts of S11 are very studenty but if you go further away from Hunters Bar it gets less so.

S6 covers a massive area and as another thread is very studenty depending where you are.

It really depends on your budget and also be careful about schools.
You will get differing advice here. Look at the Offsted reports firstly.
Also the more popular schools may be oversubscribed.

Vague_Boy
07-03-2013, 09:01
Not to my knowledge.
I believe it was modernised about 4 years ago, and it a well-used secondary school.

Ta.

I remember the old Hurlfield school (us Ashleigh types used to do our swimming lessons there) but I've only ever passed the new building on the bus.

bec26
07-03-2013, 10:04
Hillsborough definitely! Just has everything on your doorstep!

rabi
07-03-2013, 10:18
in my opinion i think Woodhouse is the best area!
good luck!!

Grenoside123
07-03-2013, 10:21
Cant go wrong in the northern part of sheffield,take yer pick,grenoside,deepcar,worral,oughtibridge,all great places to live,wouldnt live anywhere else....

Here, here! a second recommendation for this end of town.
Suitable for people looking for:
- a quite, village life
- More of a rural setting, the countryside is on our doorstep!
- Excellent schools (Oughtibridge and Grenoside primary schools in particular)
- low crime rates
- beautiful views
- more affordable house prices in comparison to the south of the city
- horses!!!
Best of luck to you wherever you decide to move. X

DerbyTup
07-03-2013, 10:46
if you're looking to rent you might be able to afford something in a very good area like Fulwood or Dore. Both these have a strong sense of community and are quiet, with good facilities and close to open countryside.

There's no easy access to the tram though.

Marmite88
25-03-2013, 12:06
Hi

I'm shortly moving to the area from Lancashire and was looking was wondeirng if anyone could advise me as to the best areas to live. We're looking at renting somewhere fairly quiet but I have no idea what areas to avoid. Really hoping for a village on the outskirts of the town but that could be wishing too much!!

Thanks for your help in advance

Laura

Stuart82
25-03-2013, 12:29
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1144532

There you go, someone started same thread a few days ago :)

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 13:33 ----------

Also if you mention your budget that will help people recommend best area's for your money :)

Marmite88
25-03-2013, 12:38
[url]

There you go, someone started same thread a few days ago :)

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 13:33 ----------

Also if you mention your budget that will help people recommend best area's for your money :)

Thanks Stuart! So sorry, had a quick look but couldn't find anything - serves me right for not looking properly!

Budget rental wise is up to 650 but ideally want 3 bedrooms - I know I'm asking a lot!!

jasd75
25-03-2013, 15:49
Thanks Stuart! So sorry, had a quick look but couldn't find anything - serves me right for not looking properly!

There are literally lots of threads about this (very dull & subjective) topic...

choogling
25-03-2013, 15:59
Hi

I'm shortly moving to the area from Lancashire and was looking was wondeirng if anyone could advise me as to the best areas to live. We're looking at renting somewhere fairly quiet but I have no idea what areas to avoid. Really hoping for a village on the outskirts of the town but that could be wishing too much!!

Thanks for your help in advance

Laura
Check out the Stocksbridge area but be prepared for the negative comments from jealous non residents.

ging viking
25-03-2013, 19:00
Check out the Stocksbridge area but be prepared for the negative comments from jealous non residents.

A liitle far out for many people but a good area !

choogling
25-03-2013, 19:10
A liitle far out for many people but a good area !
That is one of the advantages

megalithic
25-03-2013, 19:11

Way too far from Meadowhall for my liking.

Stuart82
25-03-2013, 19:36

Budget rental wise is up to 650 but ideally want 3 bedrooms - I know I'm asking a lot!!

There'll be plenty of nice areas available to you for 650pmth. I agree with others Stocksbridge is nice but if you're looking to be close to be within a few miles of City Centre then I think Frechville would be a good one to look at :)

choogling
25-03-2013, 19:42
There'll be plenty of nice areas available to you for 650pmth. I agree with others Stocksbridge is nice but if you're looking to be close to be within a few miles of City Centre then I think Frechville would be a good one to look at :)
Tram link bus to sheffield every ten mins.

ging viking
25-03-2013, 19:44

I do agree but it will not suit everybody granted !

jasd75
26-03-2013, 10:57

I'll take you up on that offer.

Stockbridge is a bit " This is a local shop for local people. There's nothing for you here", if you know what I mean.

They also refer to people who moved there 40 years ago as newcomers...... and trying to resist the final critisism......but too strong........most peoples dad's are also their sisters......

Stuart82
26-03-2013, 10:59
Tram link bus to sheffield every ten mins.

There you go sorted! :)

rachelwn
09-07-2013, 12:47
I'm looking to rent somewhere and my budget is 400 for a 2+ bedroom house, problem is I dont know Sheffield very well.
I currently live in Sharrow and I want more for my money.
I'd be living on my own so I want to feel safe walking around at night and don't want to have a high threat of burgalry.
Which areas are good to live in? I'm aware that with my budget im not going to get perfect scenic views, but i dont want to live surrounded by concrete either!
Advice please :-)

a-sibbick
09-07-2013, 12:54
I've always thought s7/ netheredge is a nice place to live but that makes it pretty expensive

rachelwn
09-07-2013, 12:56
yes i live in that area at the moment and its nice and close to town and lots of ameneties which i love, but at the moment im paying 425 for a 2 bed flat. i want a house with a garden :-)

vicky_0289
09-07-2013, 17:27
Depends what amenities etc. you want to be close to?

rachelwn
09-07-2013, 17:43
Local shop and a pub as a minimum really

MisterTim
02-09-2013, 22:27
What's wrong with Crookes?

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 23:27 ----------

Sorry, only 7 years late ...

hazeleyes82
29-09-2014, 11:33
Hi, I'm planning to move to Sheffield from just outside London in the new year and was wondering which areas are nice with good schools, I would be looking to rent a cheap 3 bed house until we are ready to buy so Totley etc would be too expensive, although I would prefer to live on the outskirts of Sheffield. I will need a good primary and secondary school in the area. If anybody has any suggestions it will be very appreciated. Thanks:hihi:

Cyclone
29-09-2014, 11:38
Have a go at the search facility, this topic has been covered quite a few times before.

hazeleyes82
29-09-2014, 11:45
Thanks!! will do

Plain Talker
29-09-2014, 13:53
Mod Note

I've merged the multiple threads on this subject to save you trawling through the whole property forum for the various threads.