Newton Chambers & Company Ltd

Hiya bri bloomer, I seem to remember a small Austin type van being garaged with the fire appliance but not sure what it was used for. That garage had an inspection pit in it which I think some people used for doing repairs to their own vehicles.

What happened to the appliance, does anyone know?

I was mooching around what used to be Nevilles allotment at Warren. Its all overgrown now. He played cornet, so did his twin? brother Terry. They played with Ecclesfield or Chapeltown Band. If Neville is still alive he must be pushing 80 by now. I lived at Westwood Row the same time as him. He worked at Thorpe pit [i think] then left to join the brigade. My dad always said they had to cut 6" off his axe handle to stop it trailing on the floor.

hiya Basalt ,the van was used by Frank Smith to drive around Thorncliffe checking that fire precautions were being kept up to scratch ,and he checked all the extinguishers around the works ,Bri Bloomer ,

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 22:55 ----------

hiya Nimrod ,Neville is still living on Warren Lane i saw him just before Christmas shopping at Asda with his wife Madge ,Bri Bloomer ,

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help me please. I am doing some research on Newton Chambers & Co for a project. I have come across the logo -

"DEMAND THE BEST" N.C.&Co LTD THORNCLIFFE COALS

-used but cannot find when and what this would be used on.

Thanking you in anticipation.

My uncle Charles Boyd(who was the brother of Mrs Newton Drew) was the director of the coal division until nationalisation in 1948 .I will ask my mother about your query and post further information .

the houses you refer to were built in 1925 in Mortomley Close ,they also built an estate i think it is in Derby 500 hundred houses,they are built of tank plates about 4ft square which are then bolted together .>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi

We still have hundreds of these houses in Derby, mostly in the Allenton/Osmaston suburbs and most are still owned by Derby City Council.

Derby Homes (the Arms Length Management Organisation) have recently modernised around 30 of them in Osmaston.

If anyone is interested in seeing inside one of these unique homes, we're documenting a one-off modernisation on a "Thornecliffe" cast-iron property that the city council purchased back from a private vendor. It involves stirpping back the internal walls to expose the metal plates!

I can't add the link, due to spam filters, but if you search for Derby Homes on Flickr, look for the "Elton Road: "Thorncliffe" modernisation" album.

You can also see a fully modernised Thorncliffe (with external cladding) next to this one in some of the early photos. I'm told we now have the only accredited system to insulate these properties internally and externally.

regards

Paul Cole

Customer Engagement Officer

Derby Homes

As kids in the 70s we used to fish in the dams built by Newton Chambers (never caught owt) and played on the old foundry site at Thorncliffe.

My brother Alan Hopkin served his apprenticeship as a welder round about the late 60s , went on to work on the Channel Tunnel , Jubbilee Line, a tunnel in Egypt plus many more projects

Hiya bri bloomer, I seem to remember a small Austin type van being garaged with the fire appliance but not sure what it was used for. That garage had an inspection pit in it which I think some people used for doing repairs to their own vehicles.

What happened to the appliance, does anyone know?

nev, terry and terry turton are still around, and above 80yrs, can sometimes be seen in the legion

I don't know if this has been posted, its a thirty minute film about the history of Newton Chambers & Co you may enjoy seeing.....http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/thorncliffe-story-enterprise-its-seventh-generation

I hope you guys do not mind me joining this thread as I once worked at Warren lane ,Thorncliffe works.

Its good to see so many names that I remember from my time there.I joined N.C in 1970 and joined The Warren Lane crew in 1971 at the height of the power cuts.I think that I was one of the last ones leaving the m/c shop in 1982.

A name that has been used was Jack Rowland,and he was the chap who trained me on the Vertical Borer before he retired.

Once a year at the begining of December there is still a small reunion at the Norfolk Arms on Warren Lane where a few from the m/c shop still meet.I daresay that some of you will remember Brian Marsh,Ken Leng, Matzy( Brian Mills) and a few others . Though its over 30 years since redundancy,I can honestly say that there are very few days that go by without me thinking fondly of the time that I was there ,and the friendships that were had.