Newton Chambers & Company Ltd

You are holding up pretty well Brendyboo - a typo I suspect!!!!

I worked for Mr Colton the Chief Metallurgist frrom about 1969-71 - I remember Stuart Ramage and Richard Littlejohns.

lol it was a typo Mary, i dont remember the names you mentioned sorry, i remember Bryan Dyer, and mick Hehterington

Hi Redfyre. i have been racking my brain as to who you are, the only name that comes to mind is Kieth. I remember all the names you mention in various post. Roldand Wilson played the organ at my wedding.

My name is Leo Goudge and I was an apprentice in the boiler shop in 1947 working for 6 months with Jack Walker and Harry Riddle, who at that time was 21 years old. This was part of my engineering training of 6 months in each of the engineering workshops. I have some very good memories of working with Harry.

I'm trying to date a couple of files with 20 odd caricature pictures of what appears to be sports club members, a couple of the names are mentioned in this thread, L. Gardner star salesman, Harry Giblin inside left.

only the white building the garage and the engineering offices look the same and the old cast steel stag that as stood in the shrubs outside the white house 4 over a 100 yrs

Surprised that Newton Chambers Thorncliffe were still working in the mid 70's. I used to go for walks through there and up to Westwood row and the ressie. No-one ever stopped us walking past the big pits . Did not know anyone who worked there as a kid but used to go to discos at the rec.

What about the toilet rolls and Sanizal thet they used to make. Th Izal toilet roll appeared to be the hardest in the world.

Sigismund

I remember that we had it in school. pretty useless. My brother used to take his dog for a walk past the steelworks and listen to the radio blasting out at midnight. Must have been open then. Love the fact that security those days was not necessary. Used to sit under the cricket stand for hours.

Hi all,

I just happened to come across this website and found this question about Newton Chambers Engineering. I worked for them from 1965 to 67 and moved to the US. So did a colleague of mine from Sheffield, Grant Shields.

I still have a Newton Chambers Engineering binder with info on all their divisions and the picture of the Newton Chambers Works College at the back.

Grant Shields and I kept in touch for a long time but we lost our contact in the last 8 or 9 years.

T thought this info may be of some interest to some.

Best wishes,

pastsheffied

mike w .... my father in law Arthur Fullwoood used to paint the works there for many years so did my husband

does anyone remember the humphreys family, they had a farm/small holding opposite new biggin dam on the road to the tankersly golf club.

Hi Bri- certainly remember the boxing Thorpe twins, and that has jogged many more memories about the training school especially at lunch time in the gym. Do you remember Herbert Pinder the foundry instructor playing table tennis with his constant blocking backhand you couldn't get passed him. We used to practice juggling with balls, Indian clubs and anything else and got quite good at it. Also played a form of football where to score a goal the ball had to skim across the line in contact with the floor, I got to be pretty good at this. Happy days- Ted

I worked in the foundry, 1965 to 1970 and remember Herbert Pinder well. He was trainer for the apprentices for a while then went as Superintendent in the light castings dept. He was a true gentleman. They dont make 'em like him anymore, they broke the mould.............